In-swinging corner kicks more dangerous?

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
haydockboy said:
also the quality of the corner, needs to be whipped in with pace a la rvp and not chipped in 25 ft in the air or not beating the first man

Agreed. Last time we had someone who could consistently take a corner that looked dangerous was Andy Hincliffe.

Pretty sure Hinchcliffe only became consistently lethal with his super fast, inswinging corner routine when he was at Everton.

Is it not possible that it's something that, as supporters and not players, we don't consider, such as an evolution in tactical training regarding defensive movement that seems imperceptible to us etc? I mean, someone said that the last truly dangerous corner taker we had was Hinchcliffe. Going 20-25 years without a dangerous corner taker sounds like tactics evolving to make defenders clearing corners easier, not us failing to find someone for an entire quarter of a century. I know we were rubbish for much of that period, but still. And as the above stats say, if we all believe that we're terrible at corners and yet only three professional teams in the whole of Europe scored more from them than us last season, to me that instantly says "corners are deceptively hard to score from".

Personally, I've always believed that set pieces (not just corners but free kicks too) are just a time-consuming way of giving the opposition a goal kick, but that's just me.

City used to do a corner that dropped short along the line at head hight then to be headed or flicked on, always caused problems that tactic, remember city scoring at qpr in the fa cup, from it vonk smashed it in, in the confusion.

Falastur said:
Is it not possible that it's something that, as supporters and not players, we don't consider, such as an evolution in tactical training regarding defensive movement that seems imperceptible to us etc? I mean, someone said that the last truly dangerous corner taker we had was Hinchcliffe. Going 20-25 years without a dangerous corner taker sounds like tactics evolving to make defenders clearing corners easier, not us failing to find someone for an entire quarter of a century. I know we were rubbish for much of that period, but still. And as the above stats say, if we all believe that we're terrible at corners and yet only three professional teams in the whole of Europe scored more from them than us last season, to me that instantly says "corners are deceptively hard to score from".
Personally, I think the quality of set-pieces is more to do with a decline the general importance of them to many teams, especially in English football. The last 10/15 years, the style of football we see in England has changed from the more traditional counter-attacking football based around wing-play and crosses - along with it, a determination to make set-pieces 'count' - has declined and in it's place the English game has started to embrace a more continental approach based on a more patient, possession-based game where chances are primarily created in open-play.

Anyway, that's my opinion on it, it could be bollocks.

Anyone noticed how most of the goals we have CONCEDED are from set pieces? Go through our fixtures and opposition goals. Frightening.

Speaking as a goalie (albeit pretty amateur) I would agree that pacey near post inswinging corners are very difficult to defend as you have to rely completely on defenders to get there first and if they don't you get very little reaction time.
Completely different if inswinger is at the far post when it is easier to deal with than the outs winger for defenders and keepers.
I would definitely agree inswinging free kicks from wide positions are more dangerous/difficult to defend especially when coming from deeper positions and aimed at players coming in between the penalty spot and 6 yrd line. Really hate those!

allblackcitizen said:
Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
haydockboy said:
also the quality of the corner, needs to be whipped in with pace a la rvp and not chipped in 25 ft in the air or not beating the first man

Agreed. Last time we had someone who could consistently take a corner that looked dangerous was Andy Hincliffe.

Pretty sure Hinchcliffe only became consistently lethal with his super fast, inswinging corner routine when he was at Everton.

My recollection is that Dave white used to head em in at the back stick, on a regular basis.

I can remember seeing an interview with Emlyn Hughes when he said that they much preferred away swinging corners to defend as the defender could just keep the ball going away from goal, if it was good enough reasoning for him, it is good enough for me.
I would also have a man on both posts when defending a corner, and at least one (often two) fast skillful defenders well away from the box as it means the opposition cannot afford to leave them unmarked, either that, or have Sergio at the edge of the box when they are getting ready, and just before they go to take it, he spins off and starts heading for the oppositions goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.