In your opinion, what is the problem with Robinho?

psut1 said:
Bluemoon115 said:
Robinho could learn a lot from Anelka.

Anelka gives 100%, but not in the Bellamy sense. He doesn't track back, but when Chelsea go forward, he is constantly looking for the ball, looking to move into attacking positions, desperate to make things happen, desperate to continue the Chelsea attack.

This is how Robinho should give 100%. He's never gonna contantly help out in his own half, I can accept that. But if he gave his all when we go forward, and looked to constantly unsettle defenders, then he would be the player he thinks he is.

And I'm not having this "He doesn't suit his role" stuff.

Top, top players adapt to different roles and still perform. Ronaldo was a winger, but was just as effective up top. Same with Messi. Ribery plays wide, through the middle, and on occasion, just off the striker. If Robinho is truly in the same catagory as these players, then he would adapt to the system.

Anelka has pace though

Robinho does when he tries.

He gets the winter blues.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_a ... e_disorder</a>

Pam said:
Bluemoon115 said:
Robinho could learn a lot from Anelka.

Anelka gives 100%, but not in the Bellamy sense. He doesn't track back, but when Chelsea go forward, he is constantly looking for the ball, looking to move into attacking positions, desperate to make things happen, desperate to continue the Chelsea attack.

This is how Robinho should give 100%. He's never gonna contantly help out in his own half, I can accept that. But if he gave his all when we go forward, and looked to constantly unsettle defenders, then he would be the player he thinks he is.

And I'm not having this "He doesn't suit his role" stuff.

Top, top players adapt to different roles and still perform. Ronaldo was a winger, but was just as effective up top. Same with Messi. Ribery plays wide, through the middle, and on occasion, just off the striker. If Robinho is truly in the same catagory as these players, then he would adapt to the system.

Good post.
It was your Anelka thread that got me thinking along these lines.

Henry is another (and probably better) example.

Never tracked back, but going forward he gave his all and made himself unplayable.

He needs to get his head straight, simple as that. Fully fit and focussed, there are very few teams capable of stopping Robinho but he's his own downfall. I personally want us to keep him.

Bluemoon115 said:
Pam said:
Good post.
It was your Anelka thread that got me thinking along these lines.

Henry is another (and probably better) example.

Never tracked back, but going forward he gave his all and made himself unplayable.

I think you've got most of what you're saying spot on but the problem we've got at the moment is 4-4-2. Do you think we'll see the best of Robinho if we continue to play 4-4-2 and the same goes for Ireland. It's difficult because quite clearly Ireland and Robinho are two extremely talented footballers but we're currently playing a system that i believe doesn't suit them but we're currently winning games playing 4-4-2

There's three things wrong with him:

Physicality
Mentality
Formation

When you've got a big name and reputation you cannot try and win free kicks by being pushed off the ball too easily - refs won't be conned when you're Robinho.

Last season when we were playing a more 4-2-3-1 formation, it was fantastic for Robinho - he did his usual 'drift in off the left' job and he linked up with Ireland brilliantly. We no longer play like this, so he's either got to play on the left of a midfield four or up front as a striker. Basically, he doesn't have a position. And as for his work rate; I do think he runs round but its not determination like Bellamy, he tracks players like I do when playing 5-a-side and we're losing 17-0 - you've got to put the running in but you couldn't give a fuck if someone gets past you or not.

Now look at Robinho and Tevez. Both signings were there to send out a message. Both had a point to prove. Both won their league the previous year, as a bit part player. Both want to prove they're the best in the world. Now I know they are two different players, but who looks more likely (regardless of the history) to become a legend at City?

United, Arsenal, Chelsea. All three have dominated the league for years. Who has won the league with 'luxury' players? The flair players still had a lot to offer to the team - Pires, Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Giggs, Duff, Lampard. Pivotel for their teams triumphs and known as people that can create things - but they put the effort in and were physical enough - none of them you could say was 'like playing with 10 men out there'.

I think Robinho is an amazingly gifted footballer, but if he thinks he'll be able to walk into Barcas team, he's got another thing coming. I'd love nothing more than him to win many trophies at City, but there is no way I'd consider playing him ahead of Bellamy or Tevez in the Premier League.

Watch him play against Pompey next week. He'll get his confidence going again and we might start to see a bit more from him.

I'm not his biggest fan and have criticised him a lot but against Everton Mancini threw him to the lions (possibly, if we are being extremely cynical, in a deliberate attempt to show him up and speed his exit). He didn't stand a chance in that game. Against Tottenham he was spineless and much more disappointing.

He's in last chance saloon at City and has the rest of the season to prove his worth. He could still be an important part of the team.

masterwig said:
Watch him play against Pompey next week. He'll get his confidence going again and we might start to see a bit more from him.

I'm not his biggest fan and have criticised him a lot but against Everton Mancini threw him to the lions (possibly, if we are being extremely cynical, in a deliberate attempt to show him up and speed his exit). He didn't stand a chance in that game. Against Tottenham he was spineless and much more disappointing.

He's in last chance saloon at City and has the rest of the season to prove his worth. He could still be an important part of the team.
He got paid £160,000 that week. He should be making every effort to make sure he stands a chance in every game.

dick slexia said:
He is a mercenary, 160k a week and he wants to be loved!!!! I was at everton, he ran onto the pitch and he ran off the pitch nothing in between. I like my city players to have come from the Mike Doyle school of commitment. Thats two words you wont see together in the same sentence very often
Robinho and commitment..

Yeah I don't go with this 'needs to be loved' crap. He is a highly paid professional, adult, international, married, Brazilian passport. What is he short of? If he wants to be loved there's no better way than performing on the pitch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.