Ireland's bust up with rob (merged)

Re: Islands bust up with rob

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Interviews/US-Tour-Stevie-Ireland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Interviews/ ... ie-Ireland</a>

This is after the Sporting game.

Wants to stay.

On last seasons form he's not upto the challenge but roll back to the year before when he was Citys star player and he's gotta be upto making Mancini's 25.

Trouble is that his head might not be in the right place at the moment.

Might be the type that rather have his position guaranteed by playing at mid table team he wouldnt have to worry which matches he would play, or to fight for his first team spot.

Wigan are looking to sign two more players. Probably in the midfield. They could get Ireland. Then Ireland and Scotland could play together.

I don't think he was that bad tonight to be honest. Definitely room for him in the 25 man squad if he wants to stay. Think he missed having another creative player to link up with last season, with Robinho in and out of the team, and Elano having been sold. Perhaps he'll be able to strike up a better relationship with some of the new signings.

telegraph and guardian are running the story that mancini has 'advised him to leave'.

this is the Guardian's take:

Stephen Ireland's future at Manchester City is in serious doubt after he was told he may not make Roberto Mancini's final 25-man squad for next season and should consider severing his ties with Eastlands.

The 23-year-old suffered a sharp dip in form under the Italian last season and has seen City add two midfielders to their squad this summer in David Silva and Yaya Touré, while continuing their pursuit of Aston Villa's James Milner. Ireland, who captained City in their 2-1 defeat by New York Red Bulls last night but was substituted at half-time, is among several high-profile names that may be surplus to requirements next season as the club looks to overhaul the squad before August.

The midfielder, valued at £8m has been advised by the City management to listen to any offers for his services, with Galatasaray the latest club to show an interest. Ireland has insisted he has no desire to leave a club he joined as a 15-year-old from Cobh Ramblers and may wait until January to consider his position under Mancini.

Ireland, who also failed to impress in City's other defeat in New York, against Sporting Lisbon, said: "I decided in the summer that I was going to get my head down and do what I can to show the manager that I am worth a place on his team. It didn't go that well for me last season, when there were a lot of changes at the club, but it is only a season ago that I was Player of the Year at the club and my view is that I haven't become a bad player overnight. The manager hopefully doesn't think that either."

Mancini, however, is under pressure to reduce squad numbers before his final list is submitted to the Premier League at the end of August, although Ireland would account for one of the eight "home-grown" players required under the new ruling.

The City midfielder added: "I have read in the papers about supposed interest from Sunderland and Fulham and maybe even Aston Villa but I haven't heard anything directly. Ideally, I would like to stay and build a future here. I am not going to rush in to anything, anyway. I think it's best if I see what happens during the first half of the season and perhaps give the situation until Christmas. If things aren't right at this stage then we can look at it again. I have worked hard during my years at City and I love the club."

glad his comments came from the OS. it leaves me with a bit more hope than if it had been a prepared statement to the papers.

crux of this for me is that Mancini needs versatile midfielders. it's very common for attacking midfielders to be played on the flanks. it happens to them no matter who they are, gerrard, lampard... at the highest level it's common for you to be asked to sacrifice yourself for the team.

I went through the best attacking creative players in the premier league, at a rough guess, 90% of them fill more than one role for their team.

I also went through our outfield squad. all but one or two of the defenders and midfielders could easily be expected to play more than one role this season.

I think he can prosper on the right or left of a diamond, I really do. he's not being asked to work the flank like he was under sven, it's more about lasting for 90 minutes, picking passes and breaking up play with quick reactions. I just hope he sees it that way too.

There's none so blind as them that will not see! Ireland is done at City, he has been given opportunities by Mancini and merely buckled under pressure. There's no room for sentiment when opportunity comes calling. He should consider all other options, not good enough for City end of.

I think Stevie could prosper playing just in front of Yaya and Nige.

Probably his best position linking up with a front two or just Charlie on his own with AJ and Silva down the flanks.

That's certainly what I'd like to see and why I think he has a future.

How may creative midfielders do we actually have now? Not enough to bin a promising youngster who loves the club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.