Irish Current Affairs.

Always valued your insights in these discussions more than most.
Any thoughts?
Were Sinn Fein “up”? Thought they were pretty much the same, but DUP dropped….

Tbh I really can’t see there being much change. Grown so disillusioned with them all.

Delighted for Sorcha Eastwood though…she’ll be leader of the alliance party in the future.

I suppose Starner has a lot of experience and knowledge of NI…might be helpful?!?

Were Sinn Fein “up”? Thought they were pretty much the same, but DUP dropped….

Tbh I really can’t see there being much change. Grown so disillusioned with them all.

Delighted for Sorcha Eastwood though…she’ll be leader of the alliance party in the future.

I suppose Starner has a lot of experience and knowledge of NI…might be helpful?!?
“Up?” no you’re correct, they stayed the same.
I guess what I mean is they increased their vote above the DUP. The DUP dropped three
The UUP gained one point. The TUV one and an independent I think.

So not much change I suppose.
What’s the feeling. Is the Assembly working?

Sinn Fein didn’t do well in the local elections down here recently either.
I think there was an increase in government support probably due to people agreeing with their stance on Israel.

Some people are thicker than mince - for anyone who doesn't know Casement Park was named in honour of Roger Casement - a Republican who was executed for his role in the Easter Rising

I think he was knighted by King George V for his report on Peru or the Congo or both.
Born Protestant but an Irish Nationalist.

Some people are thicker than mince - for anyone who doesn't know Casement Park was named in honour of Roger Casement - a Republican who was executed for his role in the Easter Rising

You piqued my interest so I googled him to see if my memory was correct.
This bit is interesting.
During World War I, he made efforts to gain German military aid for the 1916 Easter Rising that sought to gain Irish independence.[5] He was arrested, convicted and executed for high treason. He was stripped of his knighthood and other honours. Before the trial, the British government circulated excerpts said to be from his private journals, known as the Black Diaries, which detailed homosexual activities. Given prevailing views and existing laws on homosexuality, this material undermined support for clemency. Debates have continued about these diaries: a handwriting comparison study in 2002 concluded that Casement had written the diaries, but this was still contested by some.[6]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.