Irish referendum to repeal Eighth Amendment

I was 15 when the last abortion referendum took place. That was a much more bitter and acrimonious affair (possibly because it was such a close run thing - people forget the last referendum failed by 50.28% to 49. 72%).
This time around it was largely a more civilised affair but I wouldn't agree with the lazy suggestion from some quarters that both sides were as bad as each other.
It was the No Campaign that lied, produced fake nurses who gave falsified accounts, fudged statistics and facts, equivocated rape, incest and abortion without any empathy for the victim, product a propaganda booklet designed to look like a non-partisan government booklet, were caught tearing down) setting fire to Yes posters, physically attacked people at the march in Dublin, last week, planted people at Yes rallies with posters designed to outrage the undecided, fudged facts and threatened the elderly that this was a doorway to euthanasia and smeared at least one prominent woman on the Yes side as a "murdering woman" .... It's okay though because they did it all as an act of love, apparently.
In fact, it's doubly okay because the people of Ireland saw through their bullshit.
Thank fuck it's over.

Fair enough. As an outsider loooking in my perception is to a degree superficial.

To an extent and up to a certain time, yes.

If the baby’s fully formed and capable of feeling pain after months in the womb then it’s a form of murder and should be punished accordingly.

Cant argue with that tbf. Which, I believe, is why our own legislation permits abortion up to 24 weeks and no further.

Delighted with the result.

Aside from the common sense for certain terminations, I don't think it is a cause for celebrations. It's an horrendous procedure really if you think about it. However, the mental and physical well being of the genuine cases should be Paramount.
Saddens me though that there should be a celebration about the result.

Aside from the common sense for certain terminations, I don't think it is a cause for celebrations. It's an horrendous procedure really if you think about it. However, the mental and physical well being of the genuine cases should be Paramount.
Extremists on both sides led to the issue getting very polarised. With the inevitable outcome that there would be gloating and celebrations.

Extremists on both sides led to the issue getting very polarised. With the inevitable outcome that there would be gloating and celebrations.
I think that sometimes people lose the meaning of something in pursuit of winning .

I think that sometimes people lose the meaning of something in pursuit of winning .
Totally agree. Glad it's over and I really hope that the women of Ireland, especially the young girls who get pregnant unexpectedly get all the support they can from the state and from their family and friends so that they are not pressured either way in the future.

That’s a really good post. I voted yes but I’m uncomfortable with the ‘celebrations’, a bit of decorum from the ultra liberals wouldn’t go astray.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.