Irish referendum to repeal Eighth Amendment

This is the first referendum i just didnt feel right in voting in now i voted for every other referendum just yesterday i didnt. I feel every woman has a right to choose what to do. In some cases i feel there needs to be maybe rules set on the abortion. I think we might have the cases were some women will do it as a lifestyle choice. I be a bit concerned in that regard. I fully agree with women who are raped or after a scan for medical reasons that it will cause harm to the woman or the unborn baby has too many problems. Just in some cases for lifestyle choices i would have my concerns.
So is it the woman’s right to choose or not?

The lifestyle choice being “I don’t want to have a baby”. Knowing full well that no method of contraception is 100%.

Last edited:
My Irish friend, from a classic catholic family used to attend mass every week. The priest scandals made the scales fall from her eyes and now she no longer darkens the church's door. I believe the church's influence is waning even in Ireland, and a good thing too.

I would shut the whole fucking institution down tomorrow. It brings nothing but shame to people unfortunate enough to be brought up in it. Every priest bishop and even Pope who covered up stuff that is still alive I would jail for life.

Its ordinary Catholics who have to suffer for them being evil scum.

I personally don't believe so, it should be a straight choice of whether they're willing to have a child or not, not whether they're only willing to have a child if the foetus meets certain criteria when fully formed. Would have preferred 10 weeks.

Not wishing to replay the debate all over again - or fall out with you - buuuut... I'm sorry, pal, I can't agree...

Firstly, some facts:

1)50% of all pregnancies miscarry within the first 12 weeks.

2)The Irish state does not issue either a birth or death certificate for these miscarried babies.

3)Similarly, the church does not offer either baptism or last rites to them.

4)The 12 week period has been suggested by the Citizen's Assembly so that doctors can prescribe the abortion pill to rape and incest victims because it is felt that this is the most decent way of addressing the victim's situation without causing further trauma.

You are, of course, entitled to disagree with them but you should bear in mind that the Irish Medical Board, all of the masters (past and present) of our Maternity Hospitals and the the Chief Justice don't.

12 weeks is the bare minimum.

PS: isn't it great that at least one country around here can be trusted with democracy. ;-)

I would shut the whole fucking institution down tomorrow. It brings nothing but shame to people unfortunate enough to be brought up in it. Every priest bishop and even Pope who covered up stuff that is still alive I would jail for life.

Its ordinary Catholics who have to suffer for them being evil scum.
Too right, you’re spot on, I understand religion for people who are lonely & need something to believe in but I detest the whole set of all religions which rule by fear, discriminate & dictate how others should think, which is pretty much all of them. Brainwashed load of bullshit & the world would be a better place without these religious mafias.

Not wishing to replay the debate all over again - or fall out with you - buuuut... I'm sorry, pal, I can't agree...

Firstly, some facts:

1)50% of all pregnancies miscarry within the first 12 weeks.

2)The Irish state does not issue either a birth or death certificate for these miscarried babies.

3)Similarly, the church does not offer either baptism or last rites to them.

4)The 12 week period has been suggested by the Citizen's Assembly so that doctors can prescribe the abortion pill to rape and incest victims because it is felt that this is the most decent way of addressing the victim's situation without causing further trauma.

You are, of course, entitled to disagree with them but you should bear in mind that the Irish Medical Board, all of the masters (past and present) of our Maternity Hospitals and the the Chief Justice don't.

12 weeks is the bare minimum.

PS: isn't it great that at least one country around here can be trusted with democracy. ;-)

Not sure about trusted :)

In all seriousness I was impressed with the level of debate, the information available and the fact that the Govt outlined before the vote what the proposed legislation would look like. Irrespective of where you stood on the debate no could argue people didn’t know what they were voting for. None of this ‘making it up as we go along’ bollocks we are currently enduring. On the bright side Brexit is all but dead on its arse so there is something to be said for ill thought out and badly executed referendums I guess.

In all seriousness I was impressed with the level of debate, the information available and the fact that the Govt outlined before the vote what the proposed legislation would look like. Irrespective of where you stood on the debate no could argue people didn’t know what they were voting for. None of this ‘making it up as we go along’ bollocks we are currently enduring. On the bright side Brexit is all but dead on its arse so there is something to be said for ill thought out and badly executed referendums I guess.

Good one Bob lol.

I was 15 when the last abortion referendum took place. That was a much more bitter and acrimonious affair (possibly because it was such a close run thing - people forget the last referendum failed by 50.28% to 49. 72%).
This time around it was largely a more civilised affair but I wouldn't agree with the lazy suggestion from some quarters that both sides were as bad as each other.
It was the No Campaign that lied, produced fake nurses who gave falsified accounts, fudged statistics and facts, equivocated rape, incest and abortion without any empathy for the victim, product a propaganda booklet designed to look like a non-partisan government booklet, were caught tearing down) setting fire to Yes posters, physically attacked people at the march in Dublin, last week, planted people at Yes rallies with posters designed to outrage the undecided, fudged facts and threatened the elderly that this was a doorway to euthanasia and smeared at least one prominent woman on the Yes side as a "murdering woman" .... It's okay though because they did it all as an act of love, apparently.
In fact, it's doubly okay because the people of Ireland saw through their bullshit.
Thank fuck it's over.

Fantastic if the exit polls are accurrate.
Whether you agree with abortion or not, the right to choose should belong to every woman.

To an extent and up to a certain time, yes.

If the baby’s fully formed and capable of feeling pain after months in the womb then it’s a form of murder and should be punished accordingly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.