Is Eden Hazard The One That Got Away?

Damocles said:
City Man said:
Newbie first post so be gentle with me guys!

First saw Hazard in the flesh at the CC game at Villa - he didn't exactly shine and I remember thinking that maybe we didn'miss much. How stupid was that. So yes he was one that got away. What worries me is that he's not the only one. If I recall correctly we didn't land Pepe because they were asking £5m more than we were prepared to pay and we backed off Mangala and Fernando at the 11th hour for money reasons also. Sure other clubs are going to ratchet up the cost when we sniff around but maybe that comes with the territory for us now . I think PSG are wanting Mangala now, so the price won't be coming down in the summer. So yes we could do with a Hazard but for me someone to play beside Kompany is a bigger priority. But we should have had him (a CB) by now (and maybe another couple of players) and it worries me that we haven't.

Rag

Why is he a rag?

Blue Punter said:
FromPollockToSilva said:
Ducado said:
Just what is the point of all this "navel gazing"?

We have lost a game and drawn one, and all of sudden some of us go into a form of deep depression, thinking about what we have missed out on, the mistakes made, it's all in here this weekend.

It's life, you win some you lose some, we sign some good players, we sign some duffers, we miss out on good players, we sign some good players.

We really need to toughen up a bit, and learn to take it on the chin, instead of going from one extreme to another

My opening paragraph:

"Firstly, this isn't a thread about the failings of our summer 2012 transfer window (as that has been done to death), nor is it a 'we've lost once since November and therefore need to sign loads of new players' thread. For the record I think we've shown a marked improvement in both style and substance this season, I like the manager a lot and I am very optimistic about what the combination of Txiki and Pellegrini can do to augment the squad in the summer. It's more an observation on something that I think we're missing as a team, and that's a player who can create opportunities by carrying the ball and beating a man, especially in wide positions."

Thought I'd gone to reasonable lengths there to point out that I'm not in any way disheartened by this season or the last few results, but apparently not.

You did PTS, but Ducado has recently started turning most of his replies into tubthumping, keep your chin up, man up & be positive posts.

Back to your initial question, I've mentioned your phrase to other blues all week. I read an article that mentioned the dossiers we do on players when considering major transfers. Looks at all sort of factors. Family background, education, reports from youth teams etc. A very thorough process.

One player who failed the criteria, but who we signed regardless was Balotelli. At the time, the article said that Hazard had scored very highly (may well have been the highest) in almost every department. I'll try and find the article, it was a really good read.

It's not tub thumping it's an attempt to restore a little bit of balance and perspective

We say exactly the same thing about Aguero. We were flirting with him for 3 years before buying Torres, and you swooped in and signed him. These things happen, all the top clubs are in for these players, you can't get them all.

Got to say I didn't see the fuss at first, but he is turning out to be one hell of a player. Can't say too much positives about how he went about choosing his club, then broadcasting it, though out that down to youth I suppose. When he matures he is going to be unbelievable.

kun said:
Several have 'got away' from us since the takeover starting with Berbatov, Terry, Kaka (3 dodged bullets IMO), Villa and Eto'o. Followed by De Rossi, Sanchez, Krasic, Lavezzi, Hazard, De Rossi again, Martinez, Van Persie, Isco, Cavani, Pepe and most recently, Fernando.

The bottom line is, you miss out on players. With Hazard, we didn't want to be held to ransom with ridiculous, extortionate agents fees and bonuses. He may well turn out to be worth it, and probably is right now, but we didn't sign him and we have other players. We have Nasri, Silva, Navas and Milner. We have Aguero, Negredo, Jovetic and Yaya Toure. We have Zabaleta, Fernandinho, Kompany and Hart. Are these the players that got away from Chelsea? or United? or Arsenal? No. They are just our players, and Hazard is Chelsea's player. And until he runs down his contract or becomes available for transfer it will remain that way.

just to go off subject, was saying the other day how things could be so different, i think if we had got Terry ( very close i believe ) i don't think Hughes drops all those points with those draws and we dont get Mancini....no Aquerooooooooooooo........so on so on

Pigeonho said:
Got to say I didn't see the fuss at first, but he is turning out to be one hell of a player. Can't say too much positives about how he went about choosing his club, then broadcasting it, though out that down to youth I suppose. When he matures he is going to be unbelievable.
So the answer is just twat him on Saturday- time to get a Nasri type injury and see how maureen likes that!!

I think that some of our players are perfectly capable of dribbling but tend to pass in preference as that is what our game is built on hence the stats the OP quoted.

TBH I was just as impressed by Willian during the recent game as he seemed to be everywhere. Both players are thriving within Chelsea's style and it is easy to see why they were happy for Mata to join the rags.

The mobility of these players means that Chelsea's fullbacks do not have to attack to anything like the same extent that ours do for their gameplan to work so they seem a solider unit who are less exposed than our team when moves break down. I was really impressed with Matic as well - would have been happy for him to have joined us.

Mourinho seems to be building a strong team and if they add a world class striker then they will be formidable. In a game that had to be won (rather than drawn) with all players fit I would still back City to win more often than not.

I think Chavski will be our main contenders over the next few years and we will need to buy well to make sure we do not fall behind them.

The scary thing is that his brother could be just as good. Many people who've followed the progress of the two of them have said the younger of the two has the potential to be the better player in the long term. Would be unreal if he fulfilled his potential and they both played together. I wouldn't like to be playing against them that's for sure.

Castiel said:
We say exactly the same thing about Aguero. We were flirting with him for 3 years before buying Torres, and you swooped in and signed him. These things happen, all the top clubs are in for these players, you can't get them all.

This.

He is an outstanding talent but we can't buy everybody and I am just delighted to watch Silva and Nasri and now Jovetic all play in sky blue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.