Is football corrupt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBlue said:
Plain Speaking said:
Subject: Is football corrupt?

CBlue said:
...and they only have a review to determine if a try is scored or the decision if a try isn't scored. This is a natural stop in play. This isn't the case in football. It's either a goal or no goal - the game doesn't stop unless it is declared a goal. A subtle but extremely important difference.
What are you reviewing when a ball goes out for a goal kick? What are you reviewing when a player goes down injured? What are you reviewing when the players surround the ref? Is the game still going on? Wouldn't you surrounding the ref while the game continues a little dangerous? They are obviously surrounding him because they don't agree with his opninion - why would he then defer his opinion to a VR? He obviously saw an incident & deemed it not an offence - why would he ask someone else's opinion? Who's opinion would he seek? Who appoints this other opinion maker, or referee? Is he faceless? Can he make decisions knowing that the ref is getting all the shit for it? Has this other referee taken a bribe? Have both refs taken a bribe & are in on the corruption?
You have made some interesting points. It is hard to ensure there is never going to be corruption when there are potentially multiple people, (principally officials and players) that can be influenced by corruption.
If we limit the discussion to officials' decisions, very often it is hard to distinguish between corruption and genuine human mistakes. Even if officials were corrupt, (or perhaps subconsciously biased?) they would still want to appear fair and impartial so as to preserve their reputation and future.
IMO allowing a referee to call for VR for only uncertain events that are likely to "significantly effect the outcome of a match", (ie penalties, goals or sendings off), will increase the likelihood of the right decision being given.The stopping of the game would be minimal.

Almost all people involved in the sport just want to see the fair and just decisions given.
I remember when I was a boy watching rugby without VR and there were many matches decided on mistaken officials decisions. That sport has been transformed for the better with VR.
I hope some day the football authorities will finally see the light and introduce VR to football so that justice can prevail.
Would this include stopping the game for Yaya's penalty yesterday? If not, why not. If so, what will happen is that the game will be stopped everytime there is a challenge in the box & a player claims a penalty. Also, every decision, however minor, significantly affects the outcome of a match (corner given which should have been a goal kick - they score on the resultant corner...)
I would envisage the referee would have the ability to call for a second opinion/review if he is uncertain for a major call.
With players going down in the area under a challenge usually it is either a dive/simulation (free kick/yellow card?) or a foul (penalty). In some circumstances he may decide to play on?
Perhaps a team manager or captain could also challenge a "match changing decision"?
I am not suggesting VR would create a "perfect world" without any corruption or mistakes but I am convinced it would lead to more fairer decisions/ match outcomes.
I can think of a number of penalties/goal decisions given against us recently that would likely have been over ruled on review.

cookster said:
Now I know what it feels like on RAWK. Did the officials gift Ajax 2 goals, No.

The offside was 50/50, granted Balo should have had a pen.

And there us Mr Nolan who had a perfect goal disallowed at the weeked........... shit that doesn't fit the corruption agenda.
and ??????

mat said:
Celtic beating Barca.

case proven.
Did the Barca EPO bag not make it through customs?<br /><br />-- Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:07 pm --<br /><br />
billfromthehill said:
cookster said:
Now I know what it feels like on RAWK. Did the officials gift Ajax 2 goals, No.

The offside was 50/50, granted Balo should have had a pen.

And there us Mr Nolan who had a perfect goal disallowed at the weeked........... shit that doesn't fit the corruption agenda.
and ??????
He obviously doesn't understand that we may also benefit from the corruption without us being involved.

Plain Speaking said:
CBlue said:
Plain Speaking said:
Subject: Is football corrupt?

You have made some interesting points. It is hard to ensure there is never going to be corruption when there are potentially multiple people, (principally officials and players) that can be influenced by corruption.
If we limit the discussion to officials' decisions, very often it is hard to distinguish between corruption and genuine human mistakes. Even if officials were corrupt, (or perhaps subconsciously biased?) they would still want to appear fair and impartial so as to preserve their reputation and future.
IMO allowing a referee to call for VR for only uncertain events that are likely to "significantly effect the outcome of a match", (ie penalties, goals or sendings off), will increase the likelihood of the right decision being given.The stopping of the game would be minimal.

Almost all people involved in the sport just want to see the fair and just decisions given.
I remember when I was a boy watching rugby without VR and there were many matches decided on mistaken officials decisions. That sport has been transformed for the better with VR.
I hope some day the football authorities will finally see the light and introduce VR to football so that justice can prevail.
Would this include stopping the game for Yaya's penalty yesterday? If not, why not. If so, what will happen is that the game will be stopped everytime there is a challenge in the box & a player claims a penalty. Also, every decision, however minor, significantly affects the outcome of a match (corner given which should have been a goal kick - they score on the resultant corner...)
I would envisage the referee would have the ability to call for a second opinion/review if he is uncertain for a major call.
With players going down in the area under a challenge usually it is either a dive/simulation (free kick/yellow card?) or a foul (penalty). In some circumstances he may decide to play on?
Perhaps a team manager or captain could also challenge a "match changing decision"?
I am not suggesting VR would create a "perfect world" without any corruption or mistakes but I am convinced it would lead to more fairer decisions/ match outcomes.
I can think of a number of penalties/goal decisions given against us recently that would likely have been over ruled on review.
How would they do that? Would the ref have to stop play as soon as a challenge is made? If not, when does he stop play to review the challenge? If play continues before the first challenge is reviewed are you allowed additional challenges? How long after an incident can a challenge be made?

The reluctance of Platini and co to look into using technology to ensure fair play, and the use of two extra officials behind the goals, seems to reinforce the corruption allegations. Why would'nt you want to consider any idea that could make the referees job easier, perhaps because it would highlight cheating on a massive scale.
I believe the game is bent.
I believe there is an "agenda" against city, and nothing will change my opinion on that.

tusker said:
The reluctance of Platini and co to look into using technology to ensure fair play, and the use of two extra officials behind the goals, seems to reinforce the corruption allegations. Why would'nt you want to consider any idea that could make the referees job easier, perhaps because it would highlight cheating on a massive scale.
I believe the game is bent.
I believe there is an "agenda" against city, and nothing will change my opinion on that.

It's not Platini's call - it's outside of his jurisdiction.

VT will actually increase the level of cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.