Is football corrupt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBlue said:
SamirBalotelli said:
Chippy_boy said:
I welcome other supporters coming on here and making good contributions, so I don't want to seem harsh. But in the last paragraph, he completely overlooks the fact that the other non-complaining teams aren't on 2 points when they should be on 4. I wonder how they would react if that was the case? Or are foreigners somehow better able to deal with disappointments than English people? I suspect not.
Yet you overlook the decision that went in our favour against Borussia Dortmund. You see, what goes around comes around. It's annoying but what can we do?
But that was a penalty - it was the same decision that Richards was penalised for & ultimately lead us to be being knocked out of the Europa against Hamburg a couple of seasons ago. City have also been on the wrong end of at least 2 calls of this nature last season - why the double standards? Is it because it fits with your argument?
You think it was, I disagree. i don't think I'm alone on this.

BillyShears said:
CBlue said:
BillyShears said:
I'm sure Dortmund feel they should have two points more than they actually have due to a dubious penalty. Plus his wider point remains spot on. You can't on the one hand complain about a rigged co efficient system or poor officiating when we've a) benefited from poor officiating in our group and b) it's due to the co efficient system that we got into last season's CL ...

Overall I don't believe football is corrupt, and I think it's a shame that the overriding discourse is about this rather than about the weaknesses in our own set up.
Have you ever considered the possibility that the weaknesses in our own set up is down to corruption?

No.

We were beaten by Lisbon over two legs last season, by Napoli in the group stages, by Kiev the year before. None of those matches to my mind had any contentious decisions in them. Granted the officiating against Munich was very poor in the first game. Overall though we just haven't been good enough.

For me the major problem in Europe has been a lack of tempo. We keep the ball well enough but our approach play is so slow and so laboured that we become horribly predictable for well organised well drilled sides like Napoli and Ajax. Then we panic whenever the opposition wins possession and ups the tempo again.

No doubt it's a very difficult group that we have this season. However that for me doesn't mitigate the performance in Amsterdam and the first half last night. You can't just play for 45 minutes out of 180 and expect to progress against good teams.

SPOT ON

CBlue said:
BillyShears said:
CBlue said:
You don't need contentious decisions for football to be corrupt. Players can also be corrupt - it only takes, say, a player to purposely lose their marker on a corner a couple of times & their job is done.

Are you actually suggesting that there are corrupt City players costing us games ????????

That's what your above two posts leads me to believe, in which case I'm truly stunned as that's a fucking shocking accusation to make.
Welcome to the world of corruption in football. Are you naive enough to think that this can't happen?

Of course it can happen, as was the case with Grobbelaar etc in the 90's. But to suggest Yaya is on a bung because he lost his marker is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY out of order.

I think the point CBlue makes has some merit in it.

While we do not want to single individual players and in particular any of our own and you need to have more evidence than forgetting to mark a player on a corner before you can begin to question a players agenda , it would be naive to think that players are not approached by others to do certain things in games to make it easier for the opposition to score.

We have seen it in World Cups and have well known players at the elite level paid off to do their bit to intensionally alter the course of games etc in the past.

BillyShears said:
CBlue said:
Welcome to the world of corruption in football. Are you naive enough to think that this can't happen?

You better leave me to my own naivety and ask yourself why you follow a sport which you believe to be so rigged that you even suspect your own team of throwing matches.

Well ask yourself this Mr Billy Big Balls, how come they got rid of Wayne Bridge? Was it because he would'nt fall in line with the likes of that cheating villian Joe Hart?.......(again, if that is his real name or should we call him Reo).

Petetheblu said:
BillyShears said:
CBlue said:

You better leave me to my own naivety and ask yourself why you follow a sport which you believe to be so rigged that you even suspect your own team of throwing matches.

Well ask yourself this Mr Billy Big Balls, how come they got rid of Wayne Bridge? Was it because he would'nt fall in line with the likes of that cheating villian Joe Hart?.......(again, if that is his real name or should we call him Reo).

what the fuck are you on about???

BillyShears said:
As for football being corrupt - and this a serious question I'm not being facetious - but why do you follow it? I love City but if I for one moment genuinely believed that last night's decisions were due to corruption then I'd fuck the game off.

Serious answer, it's an addiction. I can't help but watch it, even though it causes me such pain at times.

Also, I don't think every game is always bent. The OP's question is open to interpretation I guess, but if he means "is ALL football corrupt", then of course the answer must be no. The vast majority of games - including ours - are I would hope played without any agenda.

But if the question is "does corruption exist in football", that's a different question and I would say yes it does.

The "it all evens itself out" argument really does not wash when you look at how results pan out season in, season out. Penalties at the swamp for example. Is it corruption that causes this, or just shit refereeing, who knows but to say it's all fair and a level playing field is not right.

Petetheblu said:
BillyShears said:
CBlue said:

I've read all this thread but have I drifted off it?
I'm lost?
What?

Football is bent and we all know it.

Baconface has been controlling the FA and Premier League for years.

How many games are the rags involved in that are decided by contentious decisions?

I'd say at least 20 a season.

No doubt Fergie is at Platini's right hand and is influencing our Euro campaign too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.