Is it time for a mini-rebuild?

the rebuild will be next summer if Pep leaves. A new manager is going to want his own players or new ones that fits their play style.
As far as playing style is concerned, I think we will select a manager who plays as close to Pepball as we can get; it is the club style now. While the new guy will have his eye on some players, Txiki will counsel caution.
Let’s hope Txiki doesn’t leave at the same time.

the rebuild will be next summer if Pep leaves. A new manager is going to want his own players or new ones that fits their play style.
Disagree - a major splash of cash is now or never. PSR limitations next summer mean you can't splash cash and pay high wages.

Think we have a great squad. It's more about who has the desire to carry on winning.
Kovacic and Nunes not likely to be unloaded so swiftly. Sergio Gómez needs a move for his own good. Cancelo and Phillips will presumably be offloaded.
Savio comes in.

Then it's anyone's guess. Who really wants to try new challenges.

But as we all know we need someone who can play with and give rest to our main man, Rodri.

I can't really speak to the mentality of the players and who is physically/mentally still there and hungry or not. From my limited perspective sometimes I worry about KdB/Jack for instance, but if Pep makes the assessment they can go forward then I've zero doubts about that. I would like to see a left-back and defensive midfielder come in regardless. An offensive midfielder too considering Bernardo is always linked to leaving.

I am not sure that City need a rebuild beyond the annual refashioning of the squad. However the increased number of potential fixtures needs to be addressed.

There will be an extra two CL group stage matches next season. City haven’t been in an FA Cup replay in many years so no gain there.

The new Club World Cup format will come in soon and impose extra matches on the squad.

Unless there is a reduction in fixtures, City will need a bigger playing squad to avoid end of season fatigue. France and Germany (not to mention Portugal, Holland, etc) already have a 34 match league season. That leaves England, Italy, and Spain with 38-match seasons.

That all means that City need a bigger squad to cope.

Of course it is time for a mini rebuild, if Pep leaves, the new manager will need a core of players he can rely on for 3-5 years, so everyone over 28 is under pressure this summer, not to mention those that can not get regular game time.

I am not sure that City need a rebuild beyond the annual refashioning of the squad. However the increased number of potential fixtures needs to be addressed.

There will be an extra two CL group stage matches next season. City haven’t been in an FA Cup replay in many years so no gain there.

The new Club World Cup format will come in soon and impose extra matches on the squad.

Unless there is a reduction in fixtures, City will need a bigger playing squad to avoid end of season fatigue. France and Germany (not to mention Portugal, Holland, etc) already have a 34 match league season. That leaves England, Italy, and Spain with 38-match seasons.

That all means that City need a bigger squad to cope.
Not necessarily a bigger squad, just a full squad with no back up players who can not play to this level.

No. Only Nunes has been a failure.
Josko good attack wise - not that great defending, but improving.
Kovacic - Good and solid but not what we need as first choice. Certainly not Gungoden.
Doku excellent attacking wise but his tracking back needs to improve but is improving.

We need a quality box-to-box / defensive mid For next season. It's also the last time we can really spend with the PSR restrictions on the way next summer so for me we need to do it.
What restrictions?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.