Is it time to panic yet?

The only thing that does worry me is modern football in general. The game is full of mercenaries now and we have more than a few on our books.

I like how Klopp has brought in hungry players into his side that run through brick walls for him.

We need to swerve the primadonnas and injury prone players from now on.
Paul Power quoted in an article in the Independent saying just that. The lack of local youth distances fans and kills the passion in the game.

Same here I remember Big Mal on his 2nd coming. The best coach in the UK and probably the World allegedly. It was an unholy mess. Back then we didn't have the internet so no one could call you a heretic if you had reservations on the new messiah.
We didn't have an owner with limitless wealth who had demonstrated that they are here for the long term, through thick and thin, either.

If the worst comes to the worst, and the next 3 years are a write off (which I very much doubt), even then, so what. We'll still have the best academy in the country and will have more young talent coming through and we'll start again with another top coach. Hardly another 30 years of purgatory.

We did splash the cash on some questionable signings though...and unfortunately the man in charge was here for the long term;)

Domestically the next couple of seasons could well be a write off as long as we persevere with a system that is easy for teams to play against; it's so easy to defend against and every time we're hit on the counter attack we concede. Also, can't see the academy players coming through until the team has a bit more success.

That's not to say we won't crack it eventually. Not sure new signings are the key, (although we do need a few) the present failings are more down to the players being asked to carry out the same predictable game plan every week in the hope of grooving it into a winning formula. I have a feeling it'll get worse before it gets better. Those who remember big Mal will also remember Kendall at Everton, (first time) being saved by the Adrian Heath goal and Ferguson by the Robins goal. Hopefully our current woes will be followed by similar success.

Not winning trophies isn't a problem for me, but it is frustrating to not be getting better results in the league with this group of players, when a slight tweak of the tactics would see us challenging for the title.

Panic? No

End of the Golden Period? Most definitely.

City won the League in 2012, aided by the best Manager, the best Goalkeeper, the most goals scored, and the least goals conceded. In fact if it wasn’t for Clattenburg decreeing that Manchester City can’t be awarded a penalty at Stamford Bridge, then we would have won the League by a bigger margin.

By 2014, Liverpool were scoring as many goals and Chelsea had the best defence. Joe Hart was making enough mistakes to be dropped, and Mourinho was winning the major tactical battles (albeit one of them working to our advantage)

We still won the League, but in retrospect, there was an issue that affected our free flowing interplay, almost from the moment that Negredo was injured at West Ham. Even the vital win at Everton was almost surrendered in the dying minutes, for no reason than taking our foot off the gas at a critical moment.

Since then I’ve read so many similar threads, pleading for positive thinking as though we can somehow reverse the clock, and return to the days of Silva’s silky touch and vision, or Yaya’s marauding runs.

Sorry, but it ain’t gonna happen, and there’s a real danger of finishing 6th.

Whether that’s a disaster depends on your overall perspective of where the club should be, in relation to where we were 20 years ago.

Panic? No

End of the Golden Period? Most definitely.

City won the League in 2012, aided by the best Manager, the best Goalkeeper, the most goals scored, and the least goals conceded. In fact if it wasn’t for Clattenburg decreeing that Manchester City can’t be awarded a penalty at Stamford Bridge, then we would have won the League by a bigger margin.

By 2014, Liverpool were scoring as many goals and Chelsea had the best defence. Joe Hart was making enough mistakes to be dropped, and Mourinho was winning the major tactical battles (albeit one of them working to our advantage)

We still won the League, but in retrospect, there was an issue that affected our free flowing interplay, almost from the moment that Negredo was injured at West Ham. Even the vital win at Everton was almost surrendered in the dying minutes, for no reason than taking our foot off the gas at a critical moment.

Since then I’ve read so many similar threads, pleading for positive thinking as though we can somehow reverse the clock, and return to the days of Silva’s silky touch and vision, or Yaya’s marauding runs.

Sorry, but it ain’t gonna happen, and there’s a real danger of finishing 6th.

Whether that’s a disaster depends on your overall perspective of where the club should be, in relation to where we were 20 years ago.

Certainly not a disaster but it simply isn't good enough for a team who have still spent fortunes on players in the past three seasons, Tottenham for one did better than us last season and by all accounts pound for pound look a better side than us this season-with a squad nowhere near allegedly as good as ours. We look distinctly average this season-says it all when we seem to be looking forward to next season already.

Certainly not a disaster but it simply isn't good enough for a team who have still spent fortunes on players in the past three seasons, Tottenham for one did better than us last season and by all accounts pound for pound look a better side than us this season-with a squad nowhere near allegedly as good as ours. We look distinctly average this season-says it all when we seem to be looking forward to next season already.

Agree completely, but some people still prefer to play the York Card as though that excuses the current drabness.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.