Is left back really a problem?

Hopefully he can kick on now. Hopefully the investment we put in to him will come through now. Christ we deserve it

Yes, Mendy is a shit Micah Richards, barely a footballer, all Physique.

that’s harsh, mendy has made some progress this season, and his mistakes are things that can be worked out, he just needs to put effort into it, he’s also great for the dressing room everyone loves him

that’s harsh, mendy has made some progress this season, and his mistakes are things that can be worked out, he just needs to put effort into it, he’s also great for the dressing room everyone loves him

It's not harsh, it's completely ignorant of the player Mendy is.

His passing is actually fantastic. I know he looks clumsy at times, and pretty leggy, but his ability to find incisive passes inside to the number 8's through traffic creates a lot of chances for us, including the Mahrez (non) goal tonight and some other great opportunities - our best chance of the first half in Chelsea came from him playing a first time pass with pace inside to Silva when every Chelsea player thought he would go on the overlap, and Silva then fed Sterling through 1v1.

That ability to look like he's just pondering things at LB or about to overlap, but then fizz a (often disguised) pass in to KDB or Silva leaves them with about 5 yards more space than they normally have receiving the ball in that area and they are good enough players to exploit that immediately and we create big chances from it.

Mendy's problem is fitness. We need someone who can play LB well enough to a) take some games off him to keep him fit and b) play 10 games in a row if he picks up another injury.

I think the smart move is to get someone who could cover Mendy and Laporte and take games off them. Alaba would be my first choice because of his obvious quality although he's literally so good it might create it's own problems with Pep because he'll try to fit him in.

Aké would be a fine second choice. He's a good LB, played there plenty of times, has the skill on the ball, physicality and pace, plus would be plenty good enough to be Laporte's understudy at left CB and the HG side of things is useful.

Last edited:
It's not harsh, it's completely ignorant of the player Mendy is.

His passing is actually fantastic. I know he looks clumsy at times, and pretty leggy, but his ability to find incisive passes inside to the number 8's through traffic creates a lot of chances for us, including the Mahrez (non) goal tonight and some other great opportunities - our best chance of the first half in Chelsea came from him playing a first time pass with pace inside to Silva when every Chelsea player thought he would go on the overlap, and Silva then fed Sterling through 1v1.

That ability to look like he's just pondering things at LB or about to overlap, but then fizz a (often disguised) pass in to KDB or Silva leaves them with about 5 yards more space than they normally have receiving the ball in that area and they are good enough players to exploit that immediately and we create big chances from it.

Mendy's problem is fitness. We need someone who can play LB well enough to a) take some games off him to keep him fit and b) play 10 games in a row if he picks up another injury.

I think the smart move is to get someone who could cover Mendy and Laporte and take games off them. Alaba would be my first choice because of his obvious quality although he's literally so good it might create it's own problems with Pep because he'll try to fit him in.

Aké would be a fine second choice. He's a good LB, played there plenty of times, has the skill on the ball, physicality and pace, plus would be plenty good enough to be Laporte's understudy at left CB and the HG side of things is useful.

Had Tierney not been injured, and had he not gone to Arsenal he maybe could have filled that role. He can play CB, he does it for Scotland on occasion. And I do believe he will end up being a good LB in this league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.