Is left back really a problem?

Left back isn't our biggest problem, we need to change tact, apart from set pieces I don't want to see any defenders cross the half way line, the full backs are being caught upfield far too often leaving the centre backs exposed.
We need to stop this inverted wingers bullshit, I want a right footed winger on the right and a left footed winger on the left, I want them to hug the touchline and stretch defenders.
I want to see some strength, pace and aggression by our midfielders, I want Kev pulling the strings further forward, I don't want to see him picking up the ball on the edge of our own box and expect him to work miracles.
I want my keeper to be known more for his saves and command of his box than his ability to ping a 50 yard pass.
I want us to have a plan B when things aren't working out, I don't want to see Garcia in a City shirt again and I think I will have a heart attack if we persist with a Gundo and Rodri combination.

Left back isn't our biggest problem, we need to change tact, apart from set pieces I don't want to see any defenders cross the half way line, the full backs are being caught upfield far too often leaving the centre backs exposed.
We need to stop this inverted wingers bullshit, I want a right footed winger on the right and a left footed winger on the left, I want them to hug the touchline and stretch defenders.
I want to see some strength, pace and aggression by our midfielders, I want Kev pulling the strings further forward, I don't want to see him picking up the ball on the edge of our own box and expect him to work miracles.
I want my keeper to be known more for his saves and command of his box than his ability to ping a 50 yard pass.
I want us to have a plan B when things aren't working out, I don't want to see Garcia in a City shirt again and I think I will have a heart attack if we persist with a Gundo and Rodri combination.
Spot on! So frustrating to see Mendy half way on the offensive side on the pitch, knowing that if we get caught in possession, opposition will have a free run against Rodri and two CBs (at most).

That it should be so bloody difficult to be a little bit more pragmatic in this aspect!

Spot on! So frustrating to see Mendy half way on the offensive side on the pitch, knowing that if we get caught in possession, opposition will have a free run against Rodri and two CBs (at most).

That it should be so bloody difficult to be a little bit more pragmatic in this aspect!

Sorry but how is that spot on? The guy said “I don’t want to see our full backs passed the halfway line” I mean that is utter nonsense.

Attacking full backs are probably the most vital tool in an attacking team’s tactics. Look at Liverpool! Take Trent-Arnold and Robertson out of that side and boy would we be much closer to them!

Under Mancini, they were vital too. Both Zab and clichy were pivotal to our early success.

The problem isn’t attacking full backs, it’s not even us not having a defensive midfielder who can read the game and act quickly and decisive enough - which is true - it’s actually the team! The team lose the ball in so many promising positions which in turn leaves us open to the counter. We were woeful in the final third yesterday.

Secondly the team no longer press efficiently. We are too easy to beat or pass around and frankly just aren’t aggressive enough off the ball.

And finally, left back really is a problem! Mendy isn’t shit because he’s getting caught out of position, he’s shit because when he’s in position he can’t defend.

Mendy was never a particularly good defensive LB even at Monaco (Sterling rinsed him at the Etihad in the 5-3). Now he’s completely lost his pace and ability to turn it’s just compounded the issue.

It’s unfortunate for him but we have to write him off now I think.

Mendy was never a particularly good defensive LB even at Monaco (Sterling rinsed him at the Etihad in the 5-3). Now he’s completely lost his pace and ability to turn it’s just compounded the issue.

It’s unfortunate for him but we have to write him off now I think.

Hate to say it but agree. Without pace what does Mendy really offer? What would interest me is an outright foot race between Zinchenko and Mendy. When Mendy arrived it wouldn't have been close, now...?

Considering the lack of mobility in midfield now with Rodri compared to Fernandinho surely playing inverted fullbacks like in 17/18 makes more sense than ever? Walker is shite going forward and Mendy can't even get up there as you say. Cancelo is our only good attacking option from full back.
Possibly, but that still wouldn’t help us on the left-hand side of the pitch. We currently have no left-footed player who has the discipline to stay out wide, stretch the park, and threaten both sides of the opposing defender. Inverted full backs, inverted wingers, and we’d be even easier to fend off in the middle of the park.

Possibly, but that still wouldn’t help us on the left-hand side of the pitch. We currently have no left-footed player who has the discipline to stay out wide, stretch the park, and threaten both sides of the opposing defender. Inverted full backs, inverted wingers, and we’d be even easier to fend off in the middle of the park.
To add to that name me a player that can stretch defences on the left side that is left footed that isn’t Leroy. He’s a big loss for us and even bigger is that there is no one else like him. We’ve brought Torres in to replace him but he’s absolutely nothing like Sane but as I say, who is?

Do we have enough time to sell Zinchenko and not panic buy a LB? Don't trust our Scouts to find a decent LB at low price

Hate to say it but agree. Without pace what does Mendy really offer? What would interest me is an outright foot race between Zinchenko and Mendy. When Mendy arrived it wouldn't have been close, now...?

Yep and it has impacted his attacking game also. It was 2 years ago he was top of the assist chart with something like 5 from 4 games. He isn’t even getting into those positions to fire in the low first-time crosses anymore & I think his mobility is the cause. He’s crossing from much deeper positions now and it’s completely ineffective in our side.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.