Is left back really a problem?

Mendy isn't a bad player as some people make him out to be. Attacking he's fine, but defensively could be better. However I said it before, it's more of a formation problem. He isn't used in a defensive role like Walker or in an inverted fullback that floats into the midfield like Zinch or Cancelo. He's role is to stay out wide and high. It's to occupy the wing so the left winger can come in centrally.

The problem becomes when he's up so high and wide it makes it hard for him to get back when we're counter attacked. Angelino had the same problem. They are used more like a winger/wingback in the formation, but have to get back into an LB position to defend. I think Pep realized they can't do this and I believe played a back 3 with Mendy when he did play later in the season.

Pep decided to put the wingers high and wide and have fullbacks like Zinch and Walker to invert/defend. Thus we were defensively solid, but scored a lot less due to less men up in attack.
Each of us are entitled to personal opinion. I respect yours, but completely disagree.

Mendy is mostly terrible on offense. His passes are often misplaced and he seems to have lost a step or 3 of pace. Occasionally he'll have an excellent driven cross - but to me, it seems that most times he's just smashing the ball in across the face of goal - and if a teammate is near and the pass isn't cut out - everyone thinks wow! What a great cross!

Defensively, Mendy is awful. He's beaten for pace with frequency - and even when in position, he most often fails to stop a cross.

Mendy, for me, is at least as bad as "some people make him out to be"... or in my book, far worse even than that. Against a good side he's going to be a liability on defense and on offense much more often than not - the weak defensive link that the opposition will seek to exploit.

Last edited:
Okay, let's say that's true.

Do you think Pep is sentimental?

A) Why is he on the bench or starting?

B) Why doesn't an EDS player come in for that remaining spot, then, if he's 'so shit'?

Despite working with some extremely talented players, if Pep doesn't see your worth, you don't get played or you train with the kids.

So, any answers...?
Not going to say you are right or wrong but City`s EDS team played with a DM at LB last season, we simply did not have one to challenge, we do now have an exciting youth LB that could be ready next year.

Its time to end this makeshift bullshit. There is zero excuse for that anyway with CIty's resources. Its incredible we keep blowing money on positions but always ignore LB.

Does Txiki hate left backs or what? Just look at how many right backs we have got over the years vs left backs. Completely unbalanced transfer policy.

I think it also shows a lack of really good left back options tbf, how many has there been that you think we should have gone for?

I think it also shows a lack of really good left back options tbf, how many has there been that you think we should have gone for?

Bertrand on a free would have been ok, sell Mendy even just for £1m, get his wages off the books.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.