Is Manchester airport the worst in Europe?

In about 1986 me n pals used to go the airport for the day. Not plane spotting, just pissing about. It seemed no where was off limits. Would be going through all sorts of doors, behind walls, mental really that we had so much access
That’s so true mate, much of my childhood was spent growing up a stones throw from the airport , and we got literally everywhere, but there’s a particular incident that still scares the shit out of me to this day some 40/50 years or so on, it was when they’d built the multi story car park and you could drop a couple of levels onto a roof to get on the pier, I’d got over hanging down to drop, looked down and thought “shit, that looks like big drop”, so decided climb back up to go to an edge with a plastic drainpipe down to floor level (so some 5/6/7 stories down), I climbed over with the intent ‘shimmying down’, and at the last second though ‘fuck it’ I can’t be arsed and got back up, when I’d matured a bit and my ‘danger’ trigger was a bit more evolved, I looked at it and thought OMFG, what was I thinking !

Up until recent times I could see this drainpipe and drop every time I went to the airport and would break out into a cold sweat as I’d surely have died that day.

The airport back then was a godsend for some kids during the holidays who had free school meals or lost out on them during the holiday period), they’d go just to eat scraps off the plates etc left behind because their parents were out pissing the money up the wall, very sad.

Never seen a bag pile like it on arrivals, and this was 4 years ago. Was only a couple of hours wait. Outbound with the ipad beer ordering though, I'll take it.
People are just leaving it now and going home without it.

hqdefault.jpg

That’s so true mate, much of my childhood was spent growing up a stones throw from the airport , and we got literally everywhere, but there’s a particular incident that still scares the shit out of me to this day some 40/50 years or so on, it was when they’d built the multi story car park and you could drop a couple of levels onto a roof to get on the pier, I’d got over hanging down to drop, looked down and thought “shit, that looks like big drop”, so decided climb back up to go to an edge with a plastic drainpipe down to floor level (so some 5/6/7 stories down), I climbed over with the intent ‘shimmying down’, and at the last second though ‘fuck it’ I can’t be arsed and got back up, when I’d matured a bit and my ‘danger’ trigger was a bit more evolved, I looked at it and thought OMFG, what was I thinking !

Up until recent times I could see this drainpipe and drop every time I went to the airport and would break out into a cold sweat as I’d surely have died that day.

The airport back then was a godsend for some kids during the holidays who had free school meals or lost out on them during the holiday period), they’d go just to eat scraps off the plates etc left behind because their parents were out pissing the money up the wall, very sad.
We’d spend all day there. 368 bus there. Not being overly nuisances is really

went through this morning. Big queues but moved really quickly, helped by a guy moving down the line checking people in and a self service baggage check in

We used to do exactly that DH. Hung from that multi storey and dropped down, must have been a 15ft drop, but once I landed awkward and thought I’d broke my back!! All me mates laughing and I was in agony. Still suffer with bad backs to this day!!

We used to do exactly that DH. Hung from that multi storey and dropped down, must have been a 15ft drop, but once I landed awkward and thought I’d broke my back!! All me mates laughing and I was in agony. Still suffer with bad backs to this day!!
Are you sure it wasn’t 115 mate ;-), felt like it when I was a kid, but yeah I wonder how many kids still have injuries from that drop ? bet there’s quite a few, think the worst I got was a couple of sprained ankles over the years so was quite lucky.

Are you sure it wasn’t 115 mate ;-), felt like it when I was a kid, but yeah I wonder how many kids still have injuries from that drop ? bet there’s quite a few, think the worst I got was a couple of sprained ankles over the years so was quite lucky.
Yeh I remember it looked a long way down, but once we’d done it a couple of times it didn’t seem so bad, even to a scrawny 12-13 yr old!! Until I landed awkward, never did it again! Think we used to jib over some turnstiles to get on the piers after that

Or you could pay 10/20p and go on top of the terminals with the plane spotter's.

What a wonderful safe world it was as a kid.
You think about that now and what an enormous security risk it was
Either someone from the pier throwing a weapon down to a boarding passenger, or even walking down the steps at the end of the pier onto the apron themselves

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.