Is Manchester airport the worst in Europe?

Quick question. What's the situation re getting through security in T3 (the Ryanair terminal)? Has the mayhem of the summer (the long delays) eased a bit? I'm over for the Saints game, and will be flying back home the day after.

You think about that now and what an enormous security risk it was
Either someone from the pier throwing a weapon down to a boarding passenger, or even walking down the steps at the end of the pier onto the apron themselves
True story this, a good few yrs after my escapades hanging from the multi storey car park to get on the piers, me and a few mates were on the piss in the Ship Inn behind the airport, walking home, rocked a car when we saw a couple shagging in there, then climbed over the fences onto the grass at the side of the runways, walked over the runways and climbed out near the cargo centre. Never got challenged (well except off the guy in the car who wasn’t too happy) all the way over the runway. Don’t think that would happen now!!

Quick question. What's the situation re getting through security in T3 (the Ryanair terminal)? Has the mayhem of the summer (the long delays) eased a bit? I'm over for the Saints game, and will be flying back home the day after.
Seems to be bad days and good days, the airport web home page will tell you the estimated waiting times but that isn't a lot of use when you need to plan in advance what time to get there

Yeh I remember it looked a long way down, but once we’d done it a couple of times it didn’t seem so bad, even to a scrawny 12-13 yr old!! Until I landed awkward, never did it again! Think we used to jib over some turnstiles to get on the piers after that
Jib over turnstiles??? RAWK is that way -> :-)

2 hours delay in queue for Tenerife - Terminal 2 September 6th outward. Disney style system. Pathetic - the peak holiday season is long passed now. Friend was in security at Gatwick 15 years ago. Says that all X-ray baggage course took less than one week to train thoroughly and plenty vacancies now.

Went Milan for England game. Flew Ryanair Thursday morning at 6-50am. Was busy but looks like new staff are all in place. Got through security in 20 mins. Got back 8-30am this morning and absolutely no problems. Apart from southgate.

Went Milan for England game. Flew Ryanair Thursday morning at 6-50am. Was busy but looks like new staff are all in place. Got through security in 20 mins. Got back 8-30am this morning and absolutely no problems. Apart from southgate.
Cheers for the heads up fella. Sorry about the result, but at least you can say that you've seen a game in the iconic San Siro stadium.

Arrived terminal3@ 12:25, through to departure area 12:50 this afternoon.Things have improved.

We flew out last week and had no problems with security. We had an hour's delay which isn't too bad though.

However, on the way back into Manchester was the usual experience. Took a while for the bus to come out to the plane then the bus had to queue up to let us off - never seen that before! Passports was great, very quick.

The baggage hall was a joke. When we went to the belt there must've been 100 bags just either lying around in the hall or constantly going round and round the belt. After 45 minutes we were told to go to another belt, then after 30 minutes waiting there we were told to go to another belt. It took nearly 2 hours to get our bags and the level of communication was dreadful. And all the while you'd see piles of bags that were clearly not collected!

Went to get a taxi home which is about 25 minutes from the airport and was quoted £55. Absolute rip off. And they make it harder than necessary to get picked up by other people too.

We ended up getting the train into Piccadilly for £7 and a taxi back home for £15.

I detest that airport, it shames the city. I'm only going to fly from there in future if I have no choice.

I've done a fair bit of travelling in my time and it's the worst airport I've flew from/into by a long distance. I've never had a "nice" experience in it.

We flew out last week and had no problems with security. We had an hour's delay which isn't too bad though.

However, on the way back into Manchester was the usual experience. Took a while for the bus to come out to the plane then the bus had to queue up to let us off - never seen that before! Passports was great, very quick.

The baggage hall was a joke. When we went to the belt there must've been 100 bags just either lying around in the hall or constantly going round and round the belt. After 45 minutes we were told to go to another belt, then after 30 minutes waiting there we were told to go to another belt. It took nearly 2 hours to get our bags and the level of communication was dreadful. And all the while you'd see piles of bags that were clearly not collected!

Went to get a taxi home which is about 25 minutes from the airport and was quoted £55. Absolute rip off. And they make it harder than necessary to get picked up by other people too.

We ended up getting the train into Piccadilly for £7 and a taxi back home for £15.

I detest that airport, it shames the city. I'm only going to fly from there in future if I have no choice.

I've done a fair bit of travelling in my time and it's the worst airport I've flew from/into by a long distance. I've never had a "nice" experience in it.
We’ve been through twice in the last few weeks and both times it was OK - but that is because we had carry-on only.

But I echo your general thoughts - every airport I’ve been through in the last 20 years is streets ahead of Manchester in terms of the efficiency, especially getting through security and check-in. CDG, Barcelona and Madrid are some of the busiest in Europe and it always seems effortless. Why don’t Management at Manchester send people to those airports and look how it’s done? It can’t be that difficult.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.