Is mancini a great manager?

sam-caddick said:
Mancini is a great domestic manager, but to be a great manager he has to do it on the European stage.

He will always get a job at a club wanting domestic glory, but he will be bottom of the list if they want European glory.

I like Mancini and I like his style of play, but his biggest let down in my opinion is being too old school in his man management, which to be fair is typical Italian mentality. He believes in tough love rather than someone who tells his players they are the best thing since sliced bread, always showing his affection towards them, and for me that is what modern management requires.

I have full faith in Mancini bringing us domestic glory, but I still put a question mark over his European antics. Obviously I want Mancini to stay for a few more years and be given the chance in Europe, but will the owners put up with another poor European campaign next season? - financially I don't think they can.

yes sam you normally talk sense , i usually agree with most thing you say ...and in this case i agree again...the only person that `understands` him is mad mario ..thats mancinis style i spose, i think he gets a bad press about europe cos if the players hadnt fucked up the golden ticket against madrid (edin done well to get there then the it was awful to watch what happened, i was expecting some time wasting (that what utd/scousers would of done in that situation )...we should of won that game

His track record eliminates any other option than to see he is a good manager, but I think he's pretty far off from being considered great.
A great manager should be able to get the most out of any player, know what to do in order to get the best performances out of each and every member of the team, something I don't think is Mancini's strongest quality.

I'm still baffled, about the way he transformed Milner and Dzeko into sometimes mediocre players, given they were both very good when we brought them here. Why he bought them and had no intention of playing them in their natural position I don't know.
I also happen to think that Aguero is still just showing us 80% of what he is capable of. I watched a lot of him playing in Spain, and I still feel something is holding him back a little. Maybe this is not due to Mancini and a less favourable formations.

On the other hand I think he has done very well with most of the players in our defence.

He sometimes makes subs I cannot understand, at all, and the way he comes across in interviews aren't always... well optimal. And his man-management seems very strange, if existing at all.

I'm very glad we have him at the helm, and there are only two or three managers in the world I would consider replacing him with. But none of them now. If the board brings in Pep next summer I'll welcome him with open arms though, but not because I do not like Roberto.

his wages level says he's a great manager

otherwise you must think that City's owner is an idiot , and i wont believe you dare to

excellent comment matt

i dont think he is great , i think as matt says he is niave in europe and the fact that we didnt slow the game when we was in front against Madrid tells me either Mancini didnt prepare for the possibility or the players didnt perform to his instructions, I am pretty sure it was the former rather than the latter.

Anyway I like him even with his mistakes , but in my opinion he isnt great yet....although he has the potential to be great , and I can count potential great managers on my fingers .

cyprustavern said:
excellent comment matt

i dont think he is great , i think as matt says he is niave in europe and the fact that we didnt slow the game when we was in front against Madrid tells me either Mancini didnt prepare for the possibility or the players didnt perform to his instructions, I am pretty sure it was the former rather than the latter.

Anyway I like him even with his mistakes , but in my opinion he isnt great yet....although he has the potential to be great , and I can count potential great managers on my fingers .

I am pretty sure if the players consistently followed his instructions to the word, we would be doing much better. My personal opinion is that he overestimates many of the players intelligence and adaptability to different strategic variations. For this reason, its better to go with something even the "lesser" players are comfortable with.

Ragnarok said:
I am pretty sure if the players consistently followed his instructions to the word, we would be doing much better. My personal opinion is that he overestimates many of the players intelligence and adaptability to different strategic variations. For this reason, its better to go with something even the "lesser" players are comfortable with.

i have to disagree to an extent , he has great players like Milner that arent being utalized when they should be,there is no way on this planet Rodwell should start over Milner when both fit...

or maybe i agreed :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.