Is Mancini adapting his Inter tactics? [Tactics talk]

Re: Is Mancini adopting his Inter tactics? [Tactics talk]

bluebannana said:
havent got a clue where aj would play in that system just want him to play maybe in a 4 4 2 on the right

gman07 said:
if you read the whole thread

sorry really couldnt be arsed
you cant build the team around AJ like you propose here.

zeven said:
bluebannana said:
havent got a clue where aj would play in that system just want him to play maybe in a 4 4 2 on the right

you cant build the team around AJ like you propose here.

where have i proposed that all i said was i ( me personally ) wanted him to play

bluebannana said:

where have i proposed that all i said was i ( me personally ) wanted him to play
True, you wanted him to play, but we all agree theres players in the squad who are better suited for Mancinis primary formation, and therefore AJ may not play every game!

You said lets change to a 4-4-2 formation where AJ is perfectly suited and first choice, problem is 4-4-2 is a formation Mancini dont fancy very much, and i tend to agree with him there!
But im convinced AJ will play a major role in our team as everyone els this season.

zeven said:
problem is 4-4-2 is a formation Mancini dont fancy very much, and i tend to agree with him there!
But im convinced AJ will play a major role in our team as everyone els this season.

completly agree i may wnt aj to play but this is a more realistic outcome

I don't think it has been covered, but I talked to a mate and he said:
"Well... you won't have any wingers! Seems stupid with no crosses since you have so many tall players"

Got me thinking. I think that's where the full backs come in. Basically, Maicon has been a huge star for Inter for some time now. So I think the full backs will be very very encouraged to go offensively, I think someone mentioned this in here previously.

I think one of the midfielders will then go down to cover him when he goes offense. I remember Zanetti doing that a lot in Inter. But what I don't understand is that if for example Yaya goes down there when Boateng goes up, wouldn't that be a waste of his talent? With him sitting back when Boateng goes offense.

Maybe De Jong will do it? But that will leave the middle vulnerable.

Basically: If you have a fantasy team, I'd put in Boateng and Kolarov in there!

the--dud said:
I think you're all pretty much on the ball here, a very good thread.

Let me add something from a blog post I wrote in January this year:
<a class="postlink" href="http://mcfc-traut.blogspot.com/2010/01/mancinis-tactics-examined.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mcfc-traut.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... mined.html</a>

5orxxw.jpg

This is pretty much my take on how Mancini has played his teams for the majority of his management career. Inter is the best example of this by far!
I'll start off by showing an likely "ideal" line-up for Inter in the 2007/08 season:

Full backs: Chivu - Maicon
Both are very good defensively, but just as importantly they are excellent at attacking. Much like Chelsea under Ancelotti now. We don't have full backs like this, we've got defensive full backs who's not good enough at attacking and attacking full backs who aren't solid enough defensively.

Centre halfs: Cordoba - Materazzi
Classic Italian line up. One athletic and fast, one solid and dependable. Arguably we could have this with all our players fit.

Midfielders: Vieira - Cambiasso - Zanetti
This is in my opinion the crucial reason (along with the next player I'll cover) WHY Mancini can't play his preferred formation at the moment. Cambiasso is of course the destroyer who's main job is to tackle and win the ball. De Jong could be our answer. Vieira is pretty much the complete player who's excellent at tackling, great at passing and bombs forward a lot. Of course we've signed him now, but can he still perform this role? Can Barry perform this role? Zanetti was pretty much the (slightly defensive) engine room, the all-rounder. Barry, De Jong or even Zabaleta might be able to perform this role.

Attacking Midfielder: Stankovic
This is the crucial link-up between midfield and attack. Possibly the most important position on the pitch. A player who has huge creative freedom and is expected to make clever passes if the game stalls. With this position, it's merely a bonus if he helps out defensively, that's not his role.

Strikers: Ibrahimovic - Julio Cruz
Ibra is of course a tall and pretty much complete striker (people think he's "just" a target-man which very wrong), which very few clubs have! Sits quite deep and is very technically gifted. Although Tevez isn't tall he can actually head the ball. Apart from his height he fits the bill perfectly. Cruz is the tall striker that held up the ball but also scored a fair bit. In other words; Adebayor when he's at the top of this game.

Very nice! I'll read through your blog posts there.

Maybe this is too far, but you wrote that Mancini likes to have one speedy and one slower, smarter central defender. Cordoba is INCREDIBLY fast. Lescott and Kompany isn't that fast, neither is Kolo.

Mancini tried Richards in the middle against Valencia, maybe he wants Richards to take that role as a fast defender in the middle?

zeven said:
bluebannana said:
True, you wanted him to play, but we all agree theres players in the squad who are better suited for Mancinis primary formation, and therefore AJ may not play every game!

You said lets change to a 4-4-2 formation where AJ is perfectly suited and first choice, problem is 4-4-2 is a formation Mancini dont fancy very much, and i tend to agree with him there!

Yep AJ impressed in his national team match this week. The English press and people will murder him if he benches one of England's biggest talents every week.

I guess Mancini will let him learn from Silva and Tevez, to be a AM. The alternative would be him playing striker when we do 4-3-3 against weaker teams, but he will need to train his composure then. He's good at screamers from far but I haven't seen him do many runs behind the defenders in the middle.

Mancini let Figo play as a striker so he may let Johnson do that too.

The reason Mancini got rid of Ireland for this system is simple, the lad is technically a genius but he can't dribble. He hasn't got that burst of pace to beat a man and create that space for himself, he can sit in the whole as a playmaker in the whole and spray it about but he can't really drive WITH the ball. We have seen him make surging runs in that incredible season he had but how many times with the ball?

bluebannana said:

gman07 said:
if you read the whole thread

sorry really couldnt be arsed

Don't wish to sound funny, but you really should, I have learnt something from this thread, and I have been supporting City for almost 50 years

sorry really couldnt be arsed[/quote]

Don't wish to sound funny, but you really should, I have learnt something from this thread, and I have been supporting City for almost 50 years[/quote]

thanks for the advice ill make sure i wont be lazy next time ( not being sarcastic)

I think Kolarov and Boateng will be key. Within 5 mins of Richards and Boateng switching on Sat he'd exploited that space left by having a middle 3 and whipped in one of the finest crosses seen at CoMS. Richards always likes to get forward but doesn't have that ability to put a decent cross in.

Kolarov as we've seen from videos likes to burst forward too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.