Is our scouting system falling apart?

There are a lot of problems at youth and scouting level right now as flb said, someone involved with the club told me about it recently. It seems that the root of many problems is Marwood and also the remnants of the Hughes era who are out of their depth.

An overhaul is needed in more than one department at the club according to this chap anyway and all evidence on the surface makes me agree. Our scouts at senior level seem to have unearthed nothing for us in a long time now.

Savic has failed to settle in our league when the expectation was for him to play an immediate role as #3/#4 central defender. Scapuzzi has been a complete dud and could be sold off to Siena soon. The youth scouts are finding plenty of gems though like Suarez, Rekik, Pozo, Almeida, Lopes, and Bossaerts, but the question is why aren't our senior scouts finding us any players who could save us a fortune, all of our transfers and targets are well known players.

We are a rich club but even the richest clubs can find high quality cheap players who aren't obvious signings. Our best example of this was Kompany and that was four years ago now, ultimately saved us £30million and gave us one of the top few central defenders on earth for £6million. All we seem to target now are big name players with big reputations when there are many "next (big name player)" out there who good scouts find.

Look at Benfica, it's staggering what they do... every year or two their best players are sold for huge fees to top clubs (Coentrao, Ramires, Luiz, Di Maria) and they simply replace them quite cheaply with players whose value doubles in a year and are again wanted by top clubs (Witsel, Gaitan). A first class scouting system can find these players fast. Arsenal have done well in this department too.

blueyorkie said:
CTID1 said:
Matt the Giant said:
Was thinking about that too the other day. And still we have no CEO right?
I'm hoping we are after the very biggest names out there for each position.

Though we'd hired Tom Glick as CEO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18256377

Not right, he has been appointed COO not CEO which is somewhat different.It depends on the job description but I got the impressiion that he woukld have most responsibilty on the finacial side.

From how I understood the article on Citys page, the new position of COO has been made which basically replaces that of CEO, its just a different name with slightly different responsibilities.

There are models to be followed like Benfica's courting of South American talent, but problems may occur such as language barrier, attractiveness of Lisbon in comparison to Manchester. It's time we poached more English talent at the age of 16 and 17 as well, something that Barca and most infamously Bayern have done for years and years.
In regards to the youth though. I'd prefer they brought in a coach that was actually liked and respected by the youth, Welsh is not that man. Oh and he's a clown

A good youth policy depends on;

Good Scouts - Sounds like we need some work in this regard.

Good training facilities - Think we have this well covered.

Good opportunities for 1st team appearances (proven by examples) -We have been woefull at this in the past couple of years, we now have a chance with Guddetti who has probably achieved twice what we expected of him, I hope City don't sell him, I hope they either find him a loan spot at an EPL team or find him a shirt.

If we have no shirts on offer in the future for young talent to get experience the facilities will be a waste of time in attracting the very best talent.

LoveCity said:
There are a lot of problems at youth and scouting level right now as flb said, someone involved with the club told me about it recently. It seems that the root of many problems is Marwood and also the remnants of the Hughes era who are out of their depth.

An overhaul is needed in more than one department at the club according to this chap anyway and all evidence on the surface makes me agree. Our scouts at senior level seem to have unearthed nothing for us in a long time now.

Savic has failed to settle in our league when the expectation was for him to play an immediate role as #3/#4 central defender. Scapuzzi has been a complete dud and could be sold off to Siena soon. The youth scouts are finding plenty of gems though like Suarez, Rekik, Pozo, Almeida, Lopes, and Bossaerts, but the question is why aren't our senior scouts finding us any players who could save us a fortune, all of our transfers and targets are well known players.

We are a rich club but even the richest clubs can find high quality cheap players who aren't obvious signings. Our best example of this was Kompany and that was four years ago now, ultimately saved us £30million and gave us one of the top few central defenders on earth for £6million. All we seem to target now are big name players with big reputations when there are many "next (big name player)" out there who good scouts find.

Look at Benfica, it's staggering what they do... every year or two their best players are sold for huge fees to top clubs (Coentrao, Ramires, Luiz, Di Maria) and they simply replace them quite cheaply with players whose value doubles in a year and are again wanted by top clubs (Witsel, Gaitan). A first class scouting system can find these players fast. Arsenal have done well in this department too.

And the Barcodes are a great example of this a little closer to home too

mcfcinprague said:
LoveCity said:

And the Barcodes are a great example of this a little closer to home too

Was just going to mention the barcodes, didn't we used to have alan carrs dad who has now found cise and all the other good players they have? why did we lose him? didn't he get us swp as well?

What we might be forgetting is Bobby's contacts in the game. Yes we losing a part of our network but it was set up by Mark Hughes.

If we are really going to dominate not just English but Euro football then we need great scouts. we know we have the financial muscle and CL place to attract the stars, but we still need to be spotting the next Scholes ,Lake, & Giggs (Willson) if we want to fuck the scum up and save a few quid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.