Is our scouting system falling apart?

Any scout at Premier League level worth his wages will always bring decent kids to any club he works for, the problem in England in general is in the development of these kids once they have been scouted

I've a feeling that a lot of young players will all be wanting to come to us.
Kids always want the best no matter what cheap shit is available on the local market.
I can see a lot of parents scouting us.

Andy Dale said:
I've a feeling that a lot of young players will all be wanting to come to us.
Kids always want the best no matter what cheap shit is available on the local market.
I can see a lot of parents scouting us.

Tru and we need to take advantage of it.
For years United have been happy to take 10 kids knowing only 1 will make it but also knowing that blooding these kids in the Carling Cup & 10 minutes here and there in the league will enable them to be sold on for a couple of million just because they played at United. Scouting kids to sell them on is not just something lower league teams do

I am not sure that Rigg is particularly highly regarded (he has just joined qpr ffs, its hardly Real or Barcelona) and regarding a CEO I believe that Chairman Khaldoon is doing a decent stand in job at the moment

Joehannes said:
There are models to be followed like Benfica's courting of South American talent, but problems may occur such as language barrier, attractiveness of Lisbon in comparison to Manchester.

Work permits?

just read an article by Rigg on what he wants to do at qpr - in a nutshell he wants to put in a shit hot database of players, and wants it done by the end of next season, watch out City,barcelona etc you are battling against mike rigg's fucking database in your search for the world's best players

SharstonBlue said:
With Mike Rigg joing QPR as their new technical director with a mandate to reinvigorate their international scouting system, and Brendan Rodgers recruiting both Barry Hunter and Dave Fallows from our scouting team, where does that leave us?

Is this a concern for us, do we have replacements, is our scouting system in safe hands?
Your Nan could be City's scout. Being the scout at a top club is one of the easiest jobs in football. Everyone knows who the best players are. You can be a scout for City from your PC. When you're a top club families/schools/junior football clubs/local FA's/coaches and important people from all around the world phone you up about talent; it falls in your lap.

Being a scout at a club in the lower parts of the Prem and down the leagues is a proper scouting job. Where you know you'll only have a certain amount of money to spend and you have to go out and find real untapped talent all around the world.

the best coach in the world will not turn a donkey into a footballer.
We dont have the best coaches in the world, but all they get to coach is what the english scouting system throws up. Until that changes there is no justification in scouting in the UK, all you get is Ched Evans clones.
The problems with development in england have been around forever it wont suddenly change,
The world-class set-up at the Etihad will take years to bear fruit but at least it's a start, in the meantime buying ready-made super-stars is the way forward ( a la Real Madrid ) which means dealing with agents who have scouts on their contact lists
Whatever you think about the NFL, their clubs set the highest standards in many areas, from sports sciences to PR, from stadiums to community involvement. They also value excellence in all areas, from coaches to caterers, from CEO to groundsmen . I believe the Sheik has the same philosophy.
City can grow into something not seen before, a byword for excellence in sport and business. The Sheik will demand nothing less

bellbuzzer said:
the best coach in the world will not turn a donkey into a footballer.
We dont have the best coaches in the world, but all they get to coach is what the english scouting system throws up. Until that changes there is no justification in scouting in the UK, all you get is Ched Evans clones.
The problems with development in england have been around forever it wont suddenly change,
The world-class set-up at the Etihad will take years to bear fruit but at least it's a start, in the meantime buying ready-made super-stars is the way forward ( a la Real Madrid ) which means dealing with agents who have scouts on their contact lists
Whatever you think about the NFL, their clubs set the highest standards in many areas, from sports sciences to PR, from stadiums to community involvement. They also value excellence in all areas, from coaches to caterers, from CEO to groundsmen . I believe the Sheik has the same philosophy.
City can grow into something not seen before, a byword for excellence in sport and business. The Sheik will demand nothing less

A well observed and thought provoking post BB.

Having attended EDS games last season I am very,very surprised that we have not had a clear out of both the scouting and coaching staff, the results were poor and performances weak.

If you think any of the present youngsters will make premier league you are having a laugh. We tal the talk regarding the acadamy but it simply isnt happening YET.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.