Is our squad stronger or weaker than last year?

What do you think?

• Total voters
I voted stronger assuming we sign a replacement full back.
In reality time will tell.

Realistically at the back we are currently worse having lost Zin. Walker is at an age where he may start to deteriorate though hopefully not, he has shown no signs so far.
Without backup fullbacks we look short here.

Midfield Phillips should be better than an ageing Fern, maybe Gundogan is getting a bit older but realistically we should be at least as strong.

Up front is the least certain having lost two important players. Alvarez is unknown Haaland should be a big player but we cannot know for sure how quickly he will settle.
I expect Grealish to be a more significant player and thought he was significantly improving at the end of last season. Foden is at an age where improvement and greater stability of performance is likely and hopefully Palmer kicks on Mahrez probably won't improve but hopefully at this stage won't deteriorate.

Goalkeeper no idea about the new chap, hopefully he is only needed as a backup.

A forward down?
Sterling and Jesus out
Haaland and Alvarez in

IMO we don't need a world class left back, just a very competent one to step in when required
Augero and Torres out.

We currently have 0 left backs to step in for.

We’ve got two strikers and proper defensive midfield cover now.

We’ve got about 27 different front 3 combinations we can possibly play, so we are fine for numbers in the forwards. But both new strikers are unproven in the Prem.

We still haven't had a proper left back since Kolarov and Clichy left five years ago, and there are question marks about certain players in the squad being able to make it at our level (Grealish, Palmer).

So I think we’re about the same overall as last year. Obviously, very good, but still can improve and still things missing.

From an outsider view of our squad, a Liverpool fan from work said to me this week “you’ve got rid of all your deadwood now in Zincehnko Sterling Jesus Fernandinho and Steffan, you’ve easily got the best squad in Europe”

Stronger for me, needed freshening up pity about losing Zinch tho, get that left back in from Brighton and in my opinion we can go all the way in all competitions this coming season.

Stronger and 70m up so far, amazing really.

Out Torres (won the league without him), Sterling and Jesus -
In Haaland and Alvarez

Out Ferna, ageing - In Philips

Out - Zincs, inconsistent - replacement tbc but I think Ake can do a job if he has good players alongside him at the back.

Add to this Grealish has now had time to settle and with the likes of Palmer a year older from the youth set up I think it sets us up well.

It may take a little time for everything to click, not had much of a pre season imo but confident we are good enough.

Agreed. Learning from Welbeck will take Haaland to the next level.
ba-dum-tss.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.