Is Shay Given world class?

Fanzone Danny said:
Will probably be in the minority here but I think sometimes he makes wrong choices when to/not to come for crosses and his distribution is woeful most of the time

I think it takes a lot to be 'world class' fucking amazing keeper yes, world class not sure!

Saying that I dont think there are many keepers better than him around and definatey top 2 in the prem

Nowt wrong with those comments....

I think Shay Given should be ashamed of himself after yesterday's performance, we have been on a great run and were about to make premier league history and he ended it by saving that penalty!!!!

Shay Out!!

Hes not just only a good keeper, hes consistent, yes Cech probally is better at some things but Givens consistancy is subline. No one in england and dare i say it the world is more consistant imo. Pure class keeper, love him, cant think what be would be like without this year.

ono said:
Project said:
I generally regard world class as top 3-4 in your position. So effectively a group of 40-50 players at most. I think Given (just) falls outside that bracket to the likes of Casillas, Asenjo and Reina.
Asenjo? Football Manager?

Ajenso, you have to be kidding, hes 19/20(?), but young never the less. Yes he has potential but so does hart. no way near world class, have to be an utter idiot to put him over given. One day he will be amazing but not now.

In the Premiership there's only Reina who is up there with given in terms of shot-stopping. Given is less prone to stupid errors than him tho.

He's the best in the Premiership so I think that qualifies as world class. Pity he isn't English tho

Very good but not in the top bracket.

When he can relieve pressure on the defence by coming to catch a corner or even punch it clear then he can be considered among the very best.

There was one cross in particular yesterday that went right through his six yard box but he just left it and Barry was forced to head behind under pressure. Compare that to Cech who came and caught three or four corners and took all the pressure off the defence.

That said Given would have saved Tevez's free-kick. He is a world class shot stopper.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.