Is Shay Given world class?

masterwig said:
Very good but not in the top bracket.

When he can relieve pressure on the defence by coming to catch a corner or even punch it clear then he can be considered among the very best.

There was one cross in particular yesterday that went right through his six yard box but he just left it and Barry was forced to head behind under pressure. Compare that to Cech who came and caught three or four corners and took all the pressure off the defence.

That said Given would have saved Tevez's free-kick. He is a world class shot stopper.
Probably to do more with height than anything else. Cech is no dwarf, Given isnt the tallest guy around.

Sky Blue said:
Fanzone Danny said:
Will probably be in the minority here but I think sometimes he makes wrong choices when to/not to come for crosses and his distribution is woeful most of the time

I think it takes a lot to be 'world class' fucking amazing keeper yes, world class not sure!

Saying that I dont think there are many keepers better than him around and definatey top 2 in the prem

Nowt wrong with those comments....

his distribution is excellent

Agree with what a few others have said, must be one of the hardest keepers to beat, and one of the most consistant, so in that respect he is world class, but his staying on the line does cause us problems defending set pieces imo.

It's not too bad because he is consistant, so the defenders know it's up to them to clear it, no uncertainty there, however it allows the oppo to play the ball into a more dangerous area than against other teams, where they know the keeper will be collecting anything within range.

Fanzone Danny said:
Will probably be in the minority here but I think sometimes he makes wrong choices when to/not to come for crosses and his distribution is woeful most of the time

I think it takes a lot to be 'world class' fucking amazing keeper yes, world class not sure!

Saying that I dont think there are many keepers better than him around and definatey top 2 in the prem

I do not understand people who think that his distribution is cr@p, i think that his distribution is excellent, everything long is accurate.

IMO i think he is best keeper at present in the PL, another top class purchase from Hughes

Pulls of some 'World Class' saves but cant half shit me up with his refusal to come off his line. Chelsea had a free kick yesterday that basically ended up being a 50 yard punt straight into our 6 yard box and Given was rooted giving Drogba a free header which thankfully he put wide.

Is he World Class? Difficult one to call on the basis that one area of his game (commanding his area) is absolutely terrible but then on the flip side nobody would say Messi isnt World Class on the basis he cant tackle!

For me great shot stopper but probably not quite up there with the very best.

he is the best keeper in Britain at the moment, i don;t see enuf European footballer to compare him with some of the top guys in Europe...........

over here only Reina gets close, sadly Czech seems to have lost his confidence since his knock a while ago..........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.