Is Tevez part of the problem or the Solution?

Just before the 2011 Cup Final, I posted on here about the disgraceful way that Tevez had systematically frozen out the newly-arrived Dzeko. Using the Guardian Chalkboard, I counted just half a dozen completed Tevez passes to Dzeko IN TOTAL in the premier league games against Wolves, Birmingham, Manchester United, West Brom, Fulham and Liverpool (whereas Dzeko had 6 completed passes to Tevez just in the Fulham game).

Sadly the Guardian Chalkboard has been discontinued. I have, however, watched recordings of a couple of recent matches specifically to count Tevez passes. Obviously, T = Tevez; A = Aguero; D = Dzeko; B = Balotelli.

Swansea

T and A started, with A being substituted after 95 minutes. B came on for the second half.

Leaving aside the 9 inch pass to kick off the match, T completed 1 pass to A in the first half and 4 passes to A in the second half.

T completed 0 (zero) passes to B. Notably, in the 99th minute, T had a feeble shot when he should have made a simple pass to B who was clear. However, if it is any consolation, T did not ignore B entirely: he tripped B up in the 75th minute!

For completeness, A made 6 passes to T and 1 to B. B completed 1 pass to A.

Ajax

T and A started; B came on for the second half; D replaced T after 65 minutes.

In the First Half, T completed 1 pass to A; in the Second Half, playing deeper and as a 'playmaker' (???), T completed 1 pass to A and 0 (zero) passes to B.

As to the passes by / to other strikers:
A to T: 3; B to A: 5; A to B: 2; A to D: 1; D to A: 1; B to D: 1; D to B: 3.
The above includes B's header to A resulting in our 2nd goal; I have also included as 'completed' D's header to B, which the latter had chested down before being yanked off the ball.

NB. The above stats are offered in good faith but could be inaccurate! It is not always easy on TV to distinguish players. Also, Swansea and Ajax were such disappointing matches that it was easy to lose concentration and to forget what I was supposed to be doing.

Real Madrid

Dzeko had scored in the 69th minute. In the 71st minute, we had a break with Tevez on the ball. Dzeko was clear on his right and a player of Tevez skill could have put a through-ball giving Dzeko at least as a good a chance (on his right foot) as he had just converted (with his left). Instead, he opted for a pass left to Kolarov expecting that the latter would provide a centre for himself to score. It came to nothing. That decision by Tevez (to not pass to Dzeko) could well be a decisive moment in City's season (and in Mancini's managerial career at City). Had we gone 2 goals up in 3 minutes....

(My son did suggest at the time that Silva would have passed to Dzeko and that perhaps Tevez did not pass to Dzeko because Tevez is weak with his left foot. After all, according to transfermarkt. co.uk, Tevez has only scored 5 goals with his left foot in his entire CAREER. But I reckon he could have managed a through-ball with either foot.)

Argentina

It is no coincidence that Argentina - and Messi - are doing better with Tevez out of the picture. On the "great natural understanding" between Messi and Aguero, see:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/10/19/even-the-most-ardent-of-the-anti-messi-gang-have-abandoned-their-mistaken-stance/

TEVEZ COMPETES WITH FELLOW STRIKERS. Normally he passes to them either only as a last resort or on the understanding that they will pass back to him (as in the first of his 2 passes to Aguero in the 65 minutes they were both on the field in the Ajax game).

My main concern for this season has been, and still is, that Aguero will be 'sidelined' by Tevez - and that pundits will continue to drool over Tevez ("he always gives 110%") and (with the possible exception of Gary Neville) they will express bewilderment as to why Aguero seems less effective than in his first season in the premier league. It is also clear from the first 8 pages that many City fans need to wake up to the real Tevez. Sadly, after defending Mancini many times on here, I have to say that he is befuddled (and / or intimidated) when it comes to Tevez.

Last but not least, someone who has worked out how to use MCFCAnalytics properly could do the Club a HUGE favour by providing the relevant people at the Club with a comprehensive analysis of Tevez passes to fellow strikers. The sort of analysis I have in mind would be along the lines of the following (amended to focus on the issues posed above and to encompass more than one game):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2012/oct/15/football-performance-analysis-chalkboards-radial-passing-manchester-city

a.aaa-DAFUQ-IS-THIS-SHIT.jpg

Davs 19 said:
bobmcfc said:
Davs 19 said:
+ 1 & bring in Jovetic.

I want heskey

I doubt we/you could afford him. Prolific hit men like Emile come with a price ;.)

Yeah, two tangerines and a packet of biscuits.<br /><br />-- Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:26 am --<br /><br />
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
Dortmund home+no Tevez=wank
Ajax away+no Tevez=wank

Mathmatical Formula proves Tevez=solution

You haven't factored in the square of pi to the power of ten and the strike v Swansea. Once these are added to the equation, Tevez is the solution with a few knobs on!

lizzkyk said:
fatbloke said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Tevez is an exceptional player, but there's a grain of truth in your post. One of the reasons why our play became so scintillating at the start of last season was that we suddenly started playing pass and move, one and two touch football, breaking and attacking at pace. Everything was going through silva, aguero and that was the way we overpowered teams. Watch the 6-1 and you'll see it, possession and penetration, the opposition chasing shadows. One and two touch fast football. It was partly because we had no Tevez slowing things up.

With Tevez it's all or nothing. He can score some brilliant solo goals and he works his bollocks off. But his natural game is not one touch pass and move. He receives the ball and often runs at people. Sometimes it comes off and he creates himself or someone else a chance. Sometimes it doesn't and he loses possession. He's a better player than nasri, and brings a lot more to the table, but like nasri he loses us something as well. Fluency and speed. When both of them are in the team you get what we got on Tuesday and at west ham: lots of possession but slower build up player and less razor sharp penetration.

It's a conundrum because I believe he and Aguero are our best strikers. He gets goals. But he does affect us too and in some ways nullifies what can be our biggest weapon.

I completely agree, Tevez whilst being a world class individual player ruins the fluidity of the team. Our problem is that Aguero and Tevez do not work together and I don't care what anyone says, Aguero when fit starts. Yes people will point to the West Brom and Norwich games at the end of last season but that's two solitary games, since those two games we haven't played well and in the games they have played together I haven't seen one bit of link up between the pair (one ball through in pre-season if I remember correctly).

With Tevez in the team we don't score team goals, they're all individual goals or set pieces and it's because he doesn't play with any intelligence. By that I mean he plays like a schoolboy who thinks he's the best player in the team so just puts his head down and tries to win the game on his own. In terms of dribbling, strength, fighting spirit, chasing defenders down and finishing you cannot say a bad word about Tevez. You can't knock his effort and commitment either but his lack of awareness and vision stifles us especially as our whole attacking philosophy is based on that passing and movement. It makes him look like a superstar but to the detriment of the team as a whole. While his individual talent may win you the odd game like Swansea, it's teams that win leagues titles and we look a better team when Tevez isn't playing in my mind.

do you think aguero dzeko have a better understanding? agueros been poor so far, but i beliebe once silva is back [on top form] him and tevez will start scoring more goals. ----

I said right at the start of the season Tevez style of play destroys our attacking game and I fully stand by that statement. As a lone striker he's probably one of the best in the world but he has never built a partnership with any of his fellow strikers, certainly while he's been in this country. The football we play relies on creating space and angles for passes, working to get players in positions to overload the opposition in certain areas of the pitch or trying to get players in behind. With Tevez this just doesn't happen, he comes to get the ball to feet at every single opportunity and it kills the movement and fluidity.

As much as I hate to say it the best partnerships we have seen in this country are Yorke & Cole (Scum), Bergkamp & Henry (Arsenal) and Beardsley & Cole (Newcastle), they all relied on creating chances for each other. Tevez & Aguero do not create chances for each other, they get in each others way, they take each others space and there is absolutely zero football understanding between them. Some people think just because they're both Argentinian that they'll click but football doesn't work like that unfortunately.

sbm said:
Just before the 2011 Cup Final, I posted on here about the disgraceful way that Tevez had systematically frozen out the newly-arrived Dzeko. Using the Guardian Chalkboard, I counted just half a dozen completed Tevez passes to Dzeko IN TOTAL in the premier league games against Wolves, Birmingham, Manchester United, West Brom, Fulham and Liverpool (whereas Dzeko had 6 completed passes to Tevez just in the Fulham game).

Sadly the Guardian Chalkboard has been discontinued. I have, however, watched recordings of a couple of recent matches specifically to count Tevez passes. Obviously, T = Tevez; A = Aguero; D = Dzeko; B = Balotelli.

Swansea

T and A started, with A being substituted after 95 minutes. B came on for the second half.

Leaving aside the 9 inch pass to kick off the match, T completed 1 pass to A in the first half and 4 passes to A in the second half.

T completed 0 (zero) passes to B. Notably, in the 99th minute, T had a feeble shot when he should have made a simple pass to B who was clear. However, if it is any consolation, T did not ignore B entirely: he tripped B up in the 75th minute!

For completeness, A made 6 passes to T and 1 to B. B completed 1 pass to A.

Ajax

T and A started; B came on for the second half; D replaced T after 65 minutes.

In the First Half, T completed 1 pass to A; in the Second Half, playing deeper and as a 'playmaker' (???), T completed 1 pass to A and 0 (zero) passes to B.

As to the passes by / to other strikers:
A to T: 3; B to A: 5; A to B: 2; A to D: 1; D to A: 1; B to D: 1; D to B: 3.
The above includes B's header to A resulting in our 2nd goal; I have also included as 'completed' D's header to B, which the latter had chested down before being yanked off the ball.

NB. The above stats are offered in good faith but could be inaccurate! It is not always easy on TV to distinguish players. Also, Swansea and Ajax were such disappointing matches that it was easy to lose concentration and to forget what I was supposed to be doing.

Real Madrid

Dzeko had scored in the 69th minute. In the 71st minute, we had a break with Tevez on the ball. Dzeko was clear on his right and a player of Tevez skill could have put a through-ball giving Dzeko at least as a good a chance (on his right foot) as he had just converted (with his left). Instead, he opted for a pass left to Kolarov expecting that the latter would provide a centre for himself to score. It came to nothing. That decision by Tevez (to not pass to Dzeko) could well be a decisive moment in City's season (and in Mancini's managerial career at City). Had we gone 2 goals up in 3 minutes....

(My son did suggest at the time that Silva would have passed to Dzeko and that perhaps Tevez did not pass to Dzeko because Tevez is weak with his left foot. After all, according to transfermarkt. co.uk, Tevez has only scored 5 goals with his left foot in his entire CAREER. But I reckon he could have managed a through-ball with either foot.)

Argentina

It is no coincidence that Argentina - and Messi - are doing better with Tevez out of the picture. On the "great natural understanding" between Messi and Aguero, see:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/10/19/even-the-most-ardent-of-the-anti-messi-gang-have-abandoned-their-mistaken-stance/

TEVEZ COMPETES WITH FELLOW STRIKERS. Normally he passes to them either only as a last resort or on the understanding that they will pass back to him (as in the first of his 2 passes to Aguero in the 65 minutes they were both on the field in the Ajax game).

My main concern for this season has been, and still is, that Aguero will be 'sidelined' by Tevez - and that pundits will continue to drool over Tevez ("he always gives 110%") and (with the possible exception of Gary Neville) they will express bewilderment as to why Aguero seems less effective than in his first season in the premier league. It is also clear from the first 8 pages that many City fans need to wake up to the real Tevez. Sadly, after defending Mancini many times on here, I have to say that he is befuddled (and / or intimidated) when it comes to Tevez.

Last but not least, someone who has worked out how to use MCFCAnalytics properly could do the Club a HUGE favour by providing the relevant people at the Club with a comprehensive analysis of Tevez passes to fellow strikers. The sort of analysis I have in mind would be along the lines of the following (amended to focus on the issues posed above and to encompass more than one game):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2012/oct/15/football-performance-analysis-chalkboards-radial-passing-manchester-city

interesting post, but tevez has always played like that, for argentina, boca,corinthians, west ham, united, etc. Argentina is doing quite well at the moment, but im still not convince with this aguero and messi playing "well" they are missing something, yes im argentinean, im not suggesting tevez is the answer, like he said the national team is fine without him and he's fine without it.
i wouldnt call him "selfish", (well he's been labeled as selfish in argentina anyway) sometimes he wants to do all the job, wants to win the game and score, he doesnt do it on purpose, hes got this "bossy" attitude, always been like that, he doesnt realize there's 11 players on the pitch that can do the job just like him, of course sometimes some of the players look lazy/disinterested and tevez wants to take the lead, someone has to do it anyway. to be honest i dont think he rates Dzeko AT ALL, he doesnt trust him, and he doesnt like to play around him. im sure bosnians have noticed this about tevez too, [selfish selfish selfish bastard] but there's not much you can do about it, football is a competition, and tevez would rather score than pass the ball to any of his teammates.
will aguero get sidelined by tevez? aguero will eventually start scoring (soon i hope) his performances has been poor so far. he's also separated from his wife at the moment, she is in argentina with her son benjamin, so it must be really hard for him to concentrate on his football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.