Is the false nine an updated version of the Revie plan

For a club with no history, having players like Revie, Hayes and Johnston. Then having tactical innovative thinking that took in the Austrians of the 30s, Gran Torino of the 40s, the Revie plan of the 50s, the Magical Magyars, Dutch Total Football, Johan Cruyff's Barcelona.....

Who'd a thunk it?

Wonderful symmetry with Pep being a Cruyff disciple.

Les McDowell had tried it with the reserves at the end of that 53-54 season having seen the Hungary game (I was told a good number of years ago). It was tried with the first team next season using Revie in the deeper roll. Didn't work for ages but came good later in the season when the FA cup was won. It could be the English obsession with numbers ie if no 9 is worn must be a centre forward or the similarity to that Hungarian system but Hidegkuti saw his roll as an attacking midfielder not a deep lying centre forward he is quoted as saying in an interview at the time.
Revie told McDowell that Ken Barnes was essential to the plan working and Ken was drafted into the team and sure enough the plan was then successful Never saw Ken play but my old man rated him said he was such a silky player who never gave the ball away and its was all played on the deck

Revie told McDowell that Ken Barnes was essential to the plan working and Ken was drafted into the team and sure enough the plan was then successful Never saw Ken play but my old man rated him said he was such a silky player who never gave the ball away and its was all played on the deck

I remember that, when I was a kid, I read about Ken being referred to as the best uncapped player in England. I'd have taken it with a pinch of salt given that you hear it said about a number of players. But Denis Law was one who said it, and he was quite some player himself.

Not sure if this has been discussed before and I am not old enough to remember the original but I was wondering whether there were any similarities between the deep lying centre forward role as defined by Revie and the current way we play?
One of my match programme articles from earlier this season covered this by explaining how the Plan operated and it’s history. I directly linked it with the false 9 and the wider history of the tactic. Evolution but definitely similar.

One of my match programme articles from earlier this season covered this by explaining how the Plan operated and it’s history. I directly linked it with the false 9 and the wider history of the tactic. Evolution but definitely similar.
Thanks Gary.
Need to start buying the programme again!

I remember that, when I was a kid, I read about Ken being referred to as the best uncapped player in England. I'd have taken it with a pinch of salt given that you hear it said about a number of players. But Denis Law was one who said it, and he was quite some player himself.
When Dennis came back from Italy, he stayed at Ken's house and being a keen gardener looked after Ken's garden I was out with Peter one night and a girl came over and said my mum claims she saw Dennis Law mowing your dad's lawn and nobody believed her, could it be true? Pete told her yeah wow my mum will be so happy when I tell her

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.