Is there a lack of intensity in our game? If so, how do we solve it?

I appreciate attacking a 10 man defence isn't easy, but we’re not dragging teams out, dragging them around the pitch, and disrupting their defensive lines like we’ve been doing for the last 2 season’s. Teams are camping in, flooding the box with players, and we keep on trying to get through the middle of them.

Have opposing managers and teams sussed us out, or have we run out of ideas and options to break these defensive lines down?

Spot on jrb. Teams only play like that against City. They've doubled up on our left side because we're so left sided dominant. I'm really surprised Pep hasn't dealt with this glaring issue. It's like he's gambling that eventually they'll tire and we'll get lucky. LiVARpool play both sides of the pitch because they have quality full backs.

I am suffering as well believe me, and many aspects have already been mentioned.

But I have watched 24 shots at SJP, 9 on goal!
That's more than enough to win a match and enough as well to say the system is still working,
although it looks like our wheels are coming off. (Well, we are coming from perfection, mind...)

What really broke my heart yesterday was not...
...KDB being so sloppy time and again,
...it wasn't Mahrez being disgracefully lazy and offering nowt,
...it wasn't Raz again being a shadow of himself,
...nor painfully watching Mendy at work,

...it was watching KDB's screamer, finally winning that difficult match
and the inability and missing aggression to get it over the line.
We did have the season changing event and we have thrown it away minutes later.

How in hell did nobody cover the edge of the box vs Shelvey who is well known for a good strike?

We just need a change in mentality to defend a lead with a complete team, 11 men.
We need to change between different tactics within a match, i.e. control, slow game, intensity (you can't do it all the time anyway!), aggressive defending, hoofing the ball in the stands and playing down the clock.

All of it when needed.
We can't be worldclass for 95 mins each fuckin game.
We have to play the full variety to become a great and even more successful team. Be smart.

Injuries have hit us hard not just missing the injured players put players having to play out of position. Roddi playing more than I guess Pep normally plays new players, it seems to take new players a season to adjust to our style. Once we get players back and players start playing in their normal position we will improve.
Very few teams could lose the amount of players we have and still be in the top 4....

Brilliant St.Pauli support. Great teams see out results after KDB's goal. Inexcusable there was no one on Shelvey. Best striker of the ball they had. If he wasn't taking it himself it was pretty likely he was going to be a part of it somehow. Mentally we were weak in that moment and confirmed we have no leaders in the team.

Spot on jrb. Teams only play like that against City. They've doubled up on our left side because we're so left sided dominant. I'm really surprised Pep hasn't dealt with this glaring issue. It's like he's gambling that eventually they'll tire and we'll get lucky. LiVARpool play both sides of the pitch because they have quality full backs.
LiVARpool - pmsl

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread about the loss of Kompany on and off the field. I agree with that, there isn't a "leader". Quality players all round but no one who grabs a game by the scruff of the neck or, if not playing, stand at the tunnel entrance like Vinny used to do and clock who wasn't making eye contact. They'd be sorted by next match. They are rare I know and I can't think of anyone who fits the bill at this moment, but that's my feelings for what it's worth.

City's dip is down to injuries - it's temporary. But the damage is done. And the injured players wont be back for some weeks yet.

Some of it is down to injuries but others are not stepping up or are underperforming:
Mendy
Gundogan
B.Silva
D.Silva
Jesus
Mahrez

These are regularly performing at lower levels than they should be esp Mendy, mahrez, gundogan and jesus.....all poor far too consistently

I wouldnt say Ferna has failed - he has played well there.....infct he has been the best of the lot in the back 4 ...what it des do however is stop us playing Ferna in midfied where we undoubtedly miss him
Failed experiment as it weakens the midfield. Also he’s too clumsy in that position.

Yes need some jounger legs in midfield if only we had a player like Foden, or Bernardo to complement Sterling, Jesus. Our midfield at present is abit old and slow !!! Or just slow !!The biggest miss is Fernandinho from midfield. And it just goes to show what a big influence Kompany was around the club.
I agree with this completely. Foden or Bernardo need to be the cm starters in place of Silva. Look at the energy Bernardo brought last year. Dave is still good but needs using sparingly. He is a step too slow now for the way we need to play.

I am suffering as well believe me, and many aspects have already been mentioned.

But I have watched 24 shots at SJP, 9 on goal!
That's more than enough to win a match and enough as well to say the system is still working,
although it looks like our wheels are coming off. (Well, we are coming from perfection, mind...)

What really broke my heart yesterday was not...
...KDB being so sloppy time and again,
...it wasn't Mahrez being disgracefully lazy and offering nowt,
...it wasn't Raz again being a shadow of himself,
...nor painfully watching Mendy at work,

...it was watching KDB's screamer, finally winning that difficult match
and the inability and missing aggression to get it over the line.
We did have the season changing event and we have thrown it away minutes later.

How in hell did nobody cover the edge of the box vs Shelvey who is well known for a good strike?

We just need a change in mentality to defend a lead with a complete team, 11 men.
We need to change between different tactics within a match, i.e. control, slow game, intensity (you can't do it all the time anyway!), aggressive defending, hoofing the ball in the stands and playing down the clock.

All of it when needed.
We can't be worldclass for 95 mins each fuckin game.
We have to play the full variety to become a great and even more successful team. Be smart.
A great summary of my emotions too. Twice we couldn’t hold the lead for 10 mins. That is so annoying

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.