Is This the end for De Jong?

johnmc said:
Jnr Kisby said:
Barry has 1 good game and people think he's going to keep NDJ out. Laughable.

Not really - i dont think this is the result of one good Barry game, it is also the result of signing Nasri, and the result of some short comings from last season.

I think it is clear that Barry and De Jong shouldnt play together. I think most would agree that Yaya gets a start 9 times out of 10. NDJ could not have done the job that Barry did at White Hart Lane. All 4 midfielders were interchangable whereas if NDJ plays he is rigid and the other 3 can interchange - thats easier for the opponent to defend against but possibly harder for them to break us down. But last year when teams were struggling to break us down we were struggling to score. So do we want to not lose or do we want to win. Certain games we may well not want to lose. NDJ in

Most games however we have the talent to win - NDJ out.

So basically, you are saying Mancini doesn't know what he is doing and that he often gets his team selection wrong? Just need to be clear about this.

Impeccable said:
johnmc said:
Jnr Kisby said:
Barry has 1 good game and people think he's going to keep NDJ out. Laughable.

Not really - i dont think this is the result of one good Barry game, it is also the result of signing Nasri, and the result of some short comings from last season.

I think it is clear that Barry and De Jong shouldnt play together. I think most would agree that Yaya gets a start 9 times out of 10. NDJ could not have done the job that Barry did at White Hart Lane. All 4 midfielders were interchangable whereas if NDJ plays he is rigid and the other 3 can interchange - thats easier for the opponent to defend against but possibly harder for them to break us down. But last year when teams were struggling to break us down we were struggling to score. So do we want to not lose or do we want to win. Certain games we may well not want to lose. NDJ in

So basically, you are saying Mancini doesn't know what he is doing and that he often gets his team selection wrong? Just need to be clear about this.

I don't think he is saying that.

I think he's saying that in the future, the use of NDJ will be more specific and that, generally, Mancini will want a more progressive line-up.

The teams picked last season bear no relevance to what this season's teams will be.

It's a different ball game...

Challenger1978 said:
Jnr Kisby said:
johnmc said:

Disagree. I think we will see more of NDJ and Yaya again this season. Without NDJ our midfield is lightweight, if we were playing Chelsea or scum we would have been seriously exploited down the middle.

Im not saying Barry isn't a good player, he is and thats undisputable, but NDJ really sure's our team up and protects the back four, something I dont think Barry offers, he's much better at link up play than De Jong but we have that talent in Silva & Nasri.

We lost more games last season without De Jong than with him and I think that speaks volumes.

The thing about Nigel is he sits in midfield and breaks opposition attacks down continuously. For instance in the spurs game when spurs attacked they pretty much kept the ball most of the time until it went out of play (missed shot on goal) or Hart made a saved. When Nigel plays though he breaks up opposition attacks before to much pressure can build up on the defence. Which allows us to control the flow of the game more.
Bang on. And this is exactly what's needed in every game at 0-0 no matter if it's against Barcelona or Norwich. Spurs had loads of shots against us on Sunday, I'm not sure how they only scored one goal. Bale, Crouch, Krancjaer, Defoe(x3) all had shots saved or missed absolute sitters and Kaboul scored. I'm not saying de Jong would have stopped all these chances being created around our defence but with him on the pitch but I'll guarantee there wouldn't have been as many.

NDJ is a quality player no doubting that but i would say the last 3 games against lesser sides(bolton and spurs both away?) or not have proven that he is not the be all and end all in the first 11!

he will have a big part to play this season as most in the 25 man squad mancini has said as much and its all about rotation.

leewill31 said:
NDJ is a quality player no doubting that but i would say the last 3 games against lesser sides(bolton and spurs both away?) or not have proven that he is not the be all and end all in the first 11!

he will have a big part to play this season as most in the 25 man squad mancini has said as much and its all about rotation.
I think Joe Hart might disagree with you since we gave away quite a number of chances in both games, conceding three goals.

danburge82 said:
leewill31 said:

I think Joe Hart might disagree with you since we gave away quite a number of chances in both games, conceding three goals.

hahaha NDJ would not have been anywhere near stopping them 3 goals not unless he thought about becoming a central defender!

leewill31 said:
danburge82 said:
leewill31 said:

hahaha NDJ would not have been anywhere near stopping them 3 goals not unless he thought about becoming a central defender!
Bolton's second came from a free kick that Barry stupidly gave away, de Jong gives away far fewer free kicks in dangerous areas than any of our other defensive minded players. And Defoe's shot that lead to the corner Kaboul scored from came from Barry getting skinned! [and I like Barry so it's not like I'm just pinpointing him because I don't like him!]

danburge82 said:
leewill31 said:
danburge82 said:

Bolton's second came from a free kick that Barry stupidly gave away, de Jong gives away far fewer free kicks in dangerous areas than any of our other defensive minded players. And Defoe's shot that lead to the corner Kaboul scored from came from Barry getting skinned!

clutching at straws much?

leewill31 said:
danburge82 said:
leewill31 said:
Bolton's second came from a free kick that Barry stupidly gave away, de Jong gives away far fewer free kicks in dangerous areas than any of our other defensive minded players. And Defoe's shot that lead to the corner Kaboul scored from came from Barry getting skinned!

Jesus!

Straws that Mancini wont be happy with and will be wanting to iron out big time! You don't prevent chances by stopping shots (Hart saves, or Komps or Joleon heading away) you prevent them from midfield!

danburge82 said:
leewill31 said:
danburge82 said:

Jesus!

Straws that Mancini wont be happy with and will be wanting to iron out big time!

i just find it odd that you singled out barry in your previous post,i didn't even slate de jong either in my original post as i said he will be important in certain games but it has been proven he is not a definite starter which some seem to believe injured or not imho.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.