Is This the end for De Jong?

johnmc said:
Jnr Kisby said:
Barry has 1 good game and people think he's going to keep NDJ out. Laughable.

Not really - i dont think this is the result of one good Barry game, it is also the result of signing Nasri, and the result of some short comings from last season.

I think it is clear that Barry and De Jong shouldnt play together. I think most would agree that Yaya gets a start 9 times out of 10. NDJ could not have done the job that Barry did at White Hart Lane. All 4 midfielders were interchangable whereas if NDJ plays he is rigid and the other 3 can interchange - thats easier for the opponent to defend against but possibly harder for them to break us down. But last year when teams were struggling to break us down we were struggling to score. So do we want to not lose or do we want to win. Certain games we may well not want to lose. NDJ in

Most games however we have the talent to win - NDJ out.

Disagree. I think we will see more of NDJ and Yaya again this season. Without NDJ our midfield is lightweight, if we were playing Chelsea or scum we would have been seriously exploited down the middle.

Im not saying Barry isn't a good player, he is and thats undisputable, but NDJ really sure's our team up and protects the back four, something I dont think Barry offers, he's much better at link up play than De Jong but we have that talent in Silva & Nasri.

We lost more games last season without De Jong than with him and I think that speaks volumes.

danburge82 said:
kennycar said:
johnmc said:
8 for, 3 against. Not really a problem.

And if you look at the goals - one was from a cross for which Richards should have got closer, one from a free kick where Lescott was (possibly) at fault and one was from a corner (possibly Yaya's fault) so you might say he wouldnt have prevented any of them

But we won't necessarily get 5 goals against United and Chelsea. He might have prevented them from getting the free kick or the corner in the first place.
Exactly. And at 0-0 against Swansea when Seansea were ontop de Jong was the best player on the pitch. He was the one stopping their attacks, intercepting passes and even winning headers (he's got a great leap) and using a simple pass to Yaya or Silva to start attacks going.

what happened after he was subbed? He does a great job breaking up the play, but we don't need him against "lesser" sides.

Jnr Kisby said:
Disagree. I think we will see more of NDJ and Yaya again this season. Without NDJ our midfield is lightweight, if we were playing Chelsea or scum we would have been seriously exploited down the middle.

Im not saying Barry isn't a good player, he is and thats undisputable, but NDJ really sure's our team up and protects the back four, something I dont think Barry offers, he's much better at link up play than De Jong but we have that talent in Silva & Nasri.

We lost more games last season without De Jong than with him and I think that speaks volumes.

I disagree back. Modric is arguably the best ball player in the league beside our David - but Modric plays more centrally. I didnt see too much of him on Sunday and no doubt his direct competition would have been our defensive midfielder. Now if De Jong was pllaying and Modric did the same everyone would be raving about how quiet Modric was yet because De Jong wasnt playing that praise is not afforded to anyone else. he is the darling of the Dickov/Goater era fans because he does sliding tackles. Stats will show other players pass and tackle more sucessfully yet as he does it like you want a player to do it he is the worlds best.

No problem with what you are saying about last season but we didnt have Nasri and Aguerro, we didnt have a system where we played 4-4-2, now we have and Barry and Yaya can offer something in attack and defence. Both got an assist against Spurs and both had shots on goal. Both kept Modric and Van der Varrt when he dropped deep quiet

Jnr Kisby said:
johnmc said:
Jnr Kisby said:

Not really - i dont think this is the result of one good Barry game, it is also the result of signing Nasri, and the result of some short comings from last season.

I think it is clear that Barry and De Jong shouldnt play together. I think most would agree that Yaya gets a start 9 times out of 10. NDJ could not have done the job that Barry did at White Hart Lane. All 4 midfielders were interchangable whereas if NDJ plays he is rigid and the other 3 can interchange - thats easier for the opponent to defend against but possibly harder for them to break us down. But last year when teams were struggling to break us down we were struggling to score. So do we want to not lose or do we want to win. Certain games we may well not want to lose. NDJ in

The thing about Nigel is he sits in midfield and breaks opposition attacks down continuously. For instance in the spurs game when spurs attacked they pretty much kept the ball most of the time until it went out of play (missed shot on goal) or Hart made a saved. When Nigel plays though he breaks up opposition attacks before to much pressure can build up on the defence. Which allows us to control the flow of the game more.

Jnr Kisby said:
johnmc said:
Jnr Kisby said:

And the season before that we won every game that he didn't play - these type of statistics are useless as they are influenced by 10000000 other factors.

Barry prootects the back 4 better than De Jong and works harder than him

MCFCBen said:
danburge82 said:
kennycar said:
But we won't necessarily get 5 goals against United and Chelsea. He might have prevented them from getting the free kick or the corner in the first place.
Exactly. And at 0-0 against Swansea when Seansea were ontop de Jong was the best player on the pitch. He was the one stopping their attacks, intercepting passes and even winning headers (he's got a great leap) and using a simple pass to Yaya or Silva to start attacks going.

what happened after he was subbed? He does a great job breaking up the play, but we don't need him against "lesser" sides.
But if it weren't for him being on the pitch they would have got at our defence a hell of a lot more. Plus we had as many shots in the first half as we did in the second, it's just that more hit the back of the net in the second.

johnmc said:
Jnr Kisby said:

Good assessment

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.