Italy v England | Euro 2020 Final

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Disappointed with the result and the performance. I think England scored too early, it was so obvious from that moment that England just wanted to sit on the lead for the rest of the game. Italy were stunned by the early goal and didn't really get going until at least 25mins had been played. While Italy went through the gears trying to get their pressing and passing up to the level required, England got less and less adventurous. It's hard to flip the switch once holding onto the lead is out of the window.

Should have been braver and chased the second goal while they were ontop.

I said the same during the game on here. Once we scored we had them rattled and the crowd were up for it. We needed to keep at them and try and get a second. There is no way you're going to be able to sit back so long in international football against a top team and not concede and so it proved. I think Croatia scored against is in the world cup around the same time frame we conceded last night. If we'd have got a second it might have worked but not at 1-0.

I have nothing against Saka he is a very promising player. And I feel for him after the miss
But I don't understand why he was playing in front of Sancho,Foden, Grealish.

I can't see it.
He is not ready he should be playing for the U21 .
Its like the need for some kind of new hero was the reason Southgate played him so much.
To be fair, he took his chance in previous games, he did more than Foden was doing down the right, no point being biased about it. He was taking people on, happy to receive the ball in tight spaces etc. Foden was being a bit too safe. I think, without being forced out of the team after the Scotland game, he might have grown into the tournament, with consistent playing time.

Saka wasn't good last night though, he seemed overwhelmed by the occasion to me, every touch was heavy and he was more of a hindrance than a boost to the team when he was subbed on. He ended up in midfield when Grealish came on too, not sure what that was about, I think Southgate should have hooked him when Grealish came on. I was going to say, for Foden to play in the centre but he wasn't even on the bench apparently. For a simple knock?(if it were anyone else, I'd say that sounds like a fallout with the manager). Maybe Bellingham or Sancho could have come on in his place but the change needed to come sooner.

Last edited:
I have nothing against Saka he is a very promising player. And I feel for him after the miss
But I don't understand why he was playing in front of Sancho,Foden, Grealish.

I can't see it.
He is not ready he should be playing for the U21 .
Its like the need for some kind of new hero was the reason Southgate played him so much.
And for Waistcoat to put him as last taker shows what a **** he is. He of all people should know better

Absolutely, the same as all the fan parks and social media. Loads wearing their brand new England tops many for the first time. That's fine the same thing happened in Euro 96 so for attracting more fans to the game it's a good thing. It's tough to hear the absolute claptrap some of them say when interviewed on TV or when they post on social media though.
Like going to the pub on New Year’s Eve. It’s amateurs’ night

Disappointed with the result and the performance. I think England scored too early, it was so obvious from that moment, that England just wanted to sit on the lead for the rest of the game. Italy were stunned by the early goal and didn't really get going until at least 25mins had been played. While Italy went through the gears trying to get their pressing and passing up to the level required, England got less and less adventurous. It's hard to flip the switch, after so many minutes playing that way, once holding onto the lead is out of the window.

Should have been braver and chased the second goal while they were ontop.

Oh, and Rashford's penalty miss felt the moment where the shootout was lost. He puts that away and I can the others scoring theirs, keeper going the wrong way etc.
I don't get why people think we didn't try to do this while we had the upper hand. While we didn't create too many chances, we were on the front foot and showing plenty of attacking intent before Italy started getting back into it and on occasions we were literally just a single decent pass away from increasing our lead. On another day we'd have been 2 or 3 up before they got a kick but that's just the way it goes at times.

All down to Southgate who had a better squad than Mancini but Mancini schooled him. Will he learn, will he become better, doubt it.
When it wasn't working for Italy, Mancini changed it in the 60th minute and Southgate failed to react, when he did it was okayish but his final roll of the dice was the penalty substitutions. His decision, his tactic. If it had worked then the 5th penalty wasn't required as England would have won 4-3 on penalties. No slagging off of Saka, no debate as to whether Sterling or Grealish should have stepped up.
The tactic didn't work, Southgates decision, his responsibility, the buck stops with him not the players.
Anyway as a blue, used to disappointments for many a year and as we always say, there's always next year or in this case, next tournament.

A penalty isn't rocket science, there's no great secret as to how they are scored. You take a proper run up with the direction you're going to hit it already stuck in your head then strike it cleanly with pace and height towards a corner.
My theory has been that you hit it as hard as you can at the keeper about 4 feet off the ground. Worked for Francis Lee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.