It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

people really have GOT to tamper their expectations for 4th choice CB replacement or they are going to be extremely disappointed

I get your point mate, but I sincerely hope no-one at the Club is pitching this as an opportunity to sign a 4th choice CB - either internally or externally to any players we’re talking to.

We’re signing a CB to compete with the other three, and if he’s better - he’ll play more.

All three of Dias, Stones and Laporte have had their injury problems over the last few years - we need someone who’s got the confidence they can displace our current CB’s, not who’s happy to rock up and play 4th choice.

I’m sure we didn’t pitch 6th choice attacking midfielder to Jack last summer - or 4th choice CB to Dias when we signed him the summer before.

People have got to get away from that mentality, because that’s not how our team works.

I get your point mate, but I sincerely hope no-one at the Club is pitching this as an opportunity to sign a 4th choice CB - either internally or externally to any players we’re talking to.

We’re signing a CB to compete with the other three, and if he’s better - he’ll play more.

All three of Dias, Stones and Laporte have had their injury problems over the last few years - we need someone who’s got the confidence they can displace our current CB’s, not who’s happy to rock up and play 4th choice.

I’m sure we didn’t pitch 6th choice attacking midfielder to Jack last summer - or 4th choice CB to Dias when we signed him the summer before.

People have got to get away from that mentality, because that’s not how our team works.
Exactly.

True like all players they will get the opportunity to play their way into the team. I think that’s why Raz has moved on he needed more guaranteed minutes or minutes in the big games…Pep will be honest and not guarantee player minutes either (maybe half a dozen of the squad would be in that bracket).

Whatever you think we *need*, it's very clear that when Ake is replaced, it'll be with a cheaper player who's happy to take ake's minutes. Dias, stones and laporte had injuries last season, and still Ake didn't get that many minutes, certainly not minutes that someone like Kounde/Gvardiol would be happy with, and all I am saying is don't expect players of that ilk.

I agree with your point about squad position but how many are going to come when they're not guaranteed to play every game with a mad decision to play the world cup midseason.
Had the world cup been in the summer instead of mid season then Ake & Jesus might have stuck around.
In theory we roughly 3 months of club football before the world cup starts & then as it finishes the January window opens, where we can re assess the 3 cb & whether we need to sign another.

Whatever you think we *need*, it's very clear that when Ake is replaced, it'll be with a cheaper player who's happy to take ake's minutes. Dias, stones and laporte had injuries last season, and still Ake didn't get that many minutes, certainly not minutes that someone like Kounde/Gvardiol would be happy with, and all I am saying is don't expect players of that ilk.

I’m not sure where you’re getting this ‘very clear’ position from. I’ve seen nothing credible to suggest that’s the approach we’re taking.

Ake didn’t get the minutes because he’s Ake - he simply wasn’t as good as the other three when they were available.

We sign a different player - it’s a different situation.

This is an opportunity to strengthen our position at the back, which I’m sure is how City will be viewing it - not to simply recreate the status quo.

I would hope players of the quality and mentality of Kounde and Gvardiol would see this as an incredible opportunity and back themselves to start - not come in accepting being 4th choice.

I agree, the replacement will probably be someone like Jonny Evans showing our youngsters that there is a place for them to grab. If we buy someone like Gvardiol we’ll effectively tell our young cbs that they should ask for a transfer.

I'm positive if we choose to go down the path of replacement,which,with Palmer and Alvarez,along with Grealish,i'm thinking we wont,then a player with more hunger,consistency and technical ability can be found for less than 50m and certainly much less than 300k a week.
Wage wise I agree, but we are paying around £45 for Phillips and probably a left back. Doubt vey much we would get a wide attacker with Sterlings goal involvement record for less than £50 mill, think we’d be looking at over 65 mill.
I suspect though we won’t replace him and expect our wide players to be more inside with wide full backs next year. To be honest I comfortable with it whichever way we go. Think left back and replacing Ake if he goes are our priority.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.