It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

"We sold our squad depth for no reason."

Everyone has been replaced.

Palmer for Torres
Haaland for Sterling
Alvarez for Jesus
Phillips for Fernandinho
Ortega for Steffan.

If Zinchenko goes we will sign a left back.

We've strengthened our squad in terms of quality (not numbers) and actually spent less than what we have made on player sales. The club has done a superb job so far this summer.

Only if you count Mendy last season. Discounting Mendy and HG/ u21 Last season we had 20 think we will this season too by the end of the window.

Fair enough, you are right, mendy's place did drop off and we went with 20 out of 21. We are still currently on 19, and that won't change if Zinchenko is replaced by Cucurella, so one more would still need signed to get us back to the same number as last season, which was already smaller than typical. Palmer is the same as last season, in both number and status.

I'm not arguing what I think the club should or shouldn't do, or will or won't. Just that if we are to match last season's squad as you say, even with a missing mendy, 1 player needs to come in with nobody leaving, or 2 in when Zinch leaves. Otherwise, it is a smaller squad.

Fair enough, you are right, mendy's place did drop off and we went with 20 out of 21. We are still currently on 19, and that won't change if Zinchenko is replaced by Cucurella, so one more would still need signed to get us back to the same number as last season, which was already smaller than typical. Palmer is the same as last season, in both number and status.

I'm not arguing what I think the club should or shouldn't do, or will or won't. Just that if we are to match last season's squad as you say, even with a missing mendy, 1 player beeds to come in with nobody leaving, or 2 in when Zinch leaves. Otherwise, it is a smaller squad.
That’s true - only saving grace is that the youngsters - Palmer etc - are a year older & maybe ready to step up?

We have to get another winger. We let Jesus & Sterling go, Palmer can't replace both of them ffs.
We have the smallest squad in PL as of now in a season where 5 subs will be allowed.
We are actually finished because we basically sold our depth for no reason.
Why would we end a Summer transfer window on a net positive after winning PL again?? Who are we trying to please, people who will never respect us anyways?
Our bench is likely to include Ortega, One of Cancelo/new LB, Ake, Stones, Phillips, Gundogan, Alvarez, Grealish....all of whom would want to be starting and probably would for any team other than us/Dippers....and that's assuming we don't replace anyone but Zinch

And then you have the best U23, U21, U18 and U16 teams in the country....with players like Palmer, McAtee, Delap already training with the first team

But yes
We are actually finished

Just got to get to the 40 point mark this season

I'm not arguing what I think the club should or shouldn't do, or will or won't. Just that if we are to match last season's squad as you say, even with a missing mendy, 1 player beeds to come in with nobody leaving, or 2 in when Zinch leaves. Otherwise, it is a smaller squad
I think you have to count the space vacated by Mendy as a space we want to fill. I wonder if City actually have one eye on the trial before making any decisions there. I think he needed replacing anyway before his issues, but just a thought.

That’s true - only saving grace is that the youngsters - Palmer etc - are a year older & maybe ready to step up?

Maybe, maybe not. After a total 4 cameo appearances in the league, I doubt there is that much more experience. Either way, he was still here last season so can't really treat him as a new additional
player.

Again, purely a comment on numbers and squad size, not on the quality. We need to accept that if we are going with a LB replacing Zinchenko and that's it, then we are going with a smaller squad, that's all.

I'm not arguing what I think the club should or shouldn't do, or will or won't. Just that if we are to match last season's squad as you say, even with a missing mendy, 1 player needs to come in with nobody leaving, or 2 in when Zinch leaves. Otherwise, it is a smaller squad.

I think Palmer is higher up in the thinking than last season. I reckon Pep sees him as Torres' replacement. Haaland, Alvarez for Jesus and Sterling. Phillips and Cucurella for Fernandinho and Zinchenko. With 5 subs in the league and CL we have the ability to manage the workload of players a lot more - should Pep wish to. I think he will make more of the bench and academy players with 5 allowed. He can still keep experience on the pitch, whilst integrating them - rather than give them 3 minutes at the end when we're 3-0 up which was more typical of his substitutions in the league at least.

I think Palmer is higher up in the thinking than last season. I reckon Pep sees him as Torres' replacement. Haaland, Alvarez for Jesus and Sterling. Phillips and Cucurella for Fernandinho and Zinchenko. With 5 subs in the league and CL we have the ability to manage the workload of players a lot more - should Pep wish to. I think he will make more of the bench and academy players with 5 allowed. He can still keep experience on the pitch, whilst integrating them - rather than give them 3 minutes at the end when we're 3-0 up which was more typical of his substitutions in the league at least.

I think it is nuts comparing Palmer and Torres, who was an established regular in La liga, in european competitions, and for his national side, but sure if he is good enough this year why the fuck not.

The point was squad size, and Palmer isn't replacing Torres any more than Grealish is replacing Sterling or Cancelo is replacing Zinchenko. Because they were all already here, and 3 will have left.

Which I know is a shallow way of looking at it in the overall squad make-up. But as I keep saying, it was a comment purely on squad size, not on quality, which is another discussion.

Agree generally with the rest, on the 5 subs etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.