It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Cucu would be a great oprion to rotate Cancelo and Walker next season. Given his and Walker's age, Cucu might become our main LB. But not straightaway.

As I see it, might be wrong of course, Cancelo and Walker will be first choice in the big games next season. Against weaker teams, Cancelo on the right and Cucu on the left might be the better choice, for we wouldn't need Walker's defensive qualities to the same extent.

Think Cancelo is our most valuable defensive player FOR Pep, because he is great in different positions and utterly fit. If Pep had to choose one defensive player to stay fit next season, it would be Cancelo, imo. A bad injury to him and we are fucked, given that his injury record is far superior to Walker's or Stones'.
Spot on.

Good player but needs to work on his stamina for a full season.

LOL

Cancelo's fitter than 90% of our players.

He played too many minutes last season, more than any City player, and much more than any City defender not named Laporte.

If you play so many games, you get tired, more mentally than physically in his case.

LOL

He played too many minutes last season, more than any City player, and much more than any City defender not named Laporte.

If you play so many games, you get tired, more mentally than physically in his case.
Surely somebody has the proper table,
but I'm sure Cancelo had top10 PL minutes last season, and most others being keepers and CBs.

Cancelo's workrate was near brutal and surely not sustainable. If want to avoid injuries we have to find a better minutes balance. The club will be fully aware.

LOL

Plus the trauma of being attacked and robbed in his own home mid season. A few days later he was helping us grind out a vital injury time win at arsenal, and being hit with missiles from the crowd.

If Luke Thomas is offered to west Ham, the price won't be high and why don't we sign him as a back up plan while chasing Cucurella?

Surely somebody has the proper table,
but I'm sure Cancelo had top10 PL minutes last season, and most others being keepers and CBs.

Cancelo's workrate was near brutal and surely not sustainable. If want to avoid injuries we have to find a better minutes balance. The club will be fully aware.
He played something like 4600 minutes across all competitions for City.

That's nearly 7 1/2 full games more than the next most used outfield player (Bernardo), and most players were another 7-10 games behind.

He played something like 4600 minutes across all competitions for City.

That's nearly 7 1/2 full games more than the next most used outfield player (Bernardo), and most players were another 7-10 games behind.
Weird isn't it?

Playing time is widely underrated and not being discussed at all but I think it's key to our squad philosophy:

since years we only sign top quality, because we want to be top above all others.
As a consequence top players only sign if they can play enough minutes to avoid the bench. Too much competition on 1 position and top players won't sign.
That way we have happy players and are using the economic value of the squad to a high degree.

As another consequence top players who sign have to be committed to play on different positions in case of injuries or suspensions. Only committed players with the right attitude would be ready for that, and that's what Pep means when he wants "nice players". We don't want 'nice' players - but committed, confident, eager team players who want to win it all.

On the other hand the squad must not be too thin for obvious reason as we go for all competitions.

That's the complexity involved finding the right balance between 'enough minutes for top players' and 'not too much minutes and risk injuries'.

I think I'll open an extra thread about minutes played and expected for next season to get a more detailed feeling about squad development.

cancelo fell off the pace really badly in the last 3 months of the season and it was highly likely that is was down to fatigue

I'd like us to sign a true LB as i don't feel that is where he should be playing anyway, seems more of a mid to me as can look lost facing his own goal

I'm not too worried about up front, think with Haaland and Alvarez with Palmer and McAtee along with Foden, Mahrez and Grealish we can cover it. Also think we will see more of Phillips that some expect which might see Kev higher up in some games

I would like to see some true pace in the side, ideally someone that doesn't suffer from brain freeze like Raz used to do when he was countering quickly, sometimes he just couldn't make his mind up which way to pass and the counter was stopped

it's alright saying we are short but as we are finding out with Cucurella, we aren't in the position where we can just go out and get people, we are still working to a budget and our valuations might not tally with the selling clubs. I'm fairly confident in the people we have at the club and I'd say they are working on 1, 3 and 5 year plans with a budget framework for those 5 years, any funds that are saved this year will be used when they can going forward but we know we have players to replace next season

LOL

Don’t see it as fitness, his form tends to dip that last third of the season or certainly has last two years

Weird isn't it?

Playing time is widely underrated and not being discussed at all but I think it's key to our squad philosophy:

since years we only sign top quality, because we want to be top above all others.
As a consequence top players only sign if they can play enough minutes to avoid the bench. Too much competition on 1 position and top players won't sign.
That way we have happy players and are using the economic value of the squad to a high degree.

As another consequence top players who sign have to be committed to play on different positions in case of injuries or suspensions. Only committed players with the right attitude would be ready for that, and that's what Pep means when he wants "nice players". We don't want 'nice' players - but committed, confident, eager team players who want to win it all.

On the other hand the squad must not be too thin for obvious reason as we go for all competitions.

That's the complexity involved finding the right balance between 'enough minutes for top players' and 'not too much minutes and risk injuries'.

I think I'll open an extra thread about minutes played and expected for next season to get a more detailed feeling about squad development.
I've mentioned it quite a lot and it does make a difference when you're comparing squads.

Liverpool strangely have a bigger squad, but still have been absolutely battering their first eleven while underusing bench players.

Pep uses a smaller squad, but the quality is fairly flat throughout - Most of our players have been first choice at some point in the last few years, and the minutes are really spread around. It's a real outlier for Pep to have a player hitting the minutes Cancelo did last season.

It also feeds into some of the arguments about whether we're short of players, as pretty much everyone expects to play a substantial part of the season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.