It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

So I take it with Sterling's shirt number, Cancelo also inherits being the whipping boy this season.
Not at all, I like a lot of qualities, but defending is his weakness. Not just yesterday. Watch the last game of the last season when Villa score first goal. Cash just ghost infront of him. We need a LB who can defend when we play teams like Liverpool and the other elite teams in CL.

Last edited:
2 things mate:

1. We are behind Liverpool with our pre season fitness. Nothing new there it happens every year
2. After winning the last two league titles playing without a number nine, we were clunky with a new (and not entirely fit) one.

That is all there is to it. We might remain clunky for a few games yet and (horrors) may even drop points in our first few games. Will we be challenging for titles again at the end of the season? For sure we will.
Yeah not concerned at all, agree to all those points. There might be thoughts around different profiles and how it affects the balance of our team but as valid as they are if Pep is happy then what are we to say, just got to give it time and see it pan out.

Yeah not concerned at all, agree to all those points. There might be thoughts around different profiles and how it affects the balance of our team but as valid as they are if Pep is happy then what are we to say, just got to give it time and see it pan out.
Yeh same for me, we always finish strong because of it, even with when decimated with injuries last season

Feels like we’ve told Cucurella that we won’t bid higher for him and he have tried to force move by handing in a TR. Brighton have told him ”nope” and that is that.

The leaks from spain about Grimaldo feels like it’s coming from the player, he should be an easy target since because our good relationship with Benfica (£17m seems resonable).

Not at all, I like a lot of qualities, but defending is his weakness. Not just yesterday. Watch the last game of the last season when Villa score first goal. Cash just ghost infront of him. We need a LB who can defend when we play teams like Liverpool and the other elite teams in CL.
I agree I think Cancelo let’s us down in big moments. Real Madrid last was one. I preferred Zinch which I know is not a popular position to hold.

Was reading through the comments of the Athletic’s City post and looks likely that Stones and Dias partnership will be revisited with Laporte injury.

He started poorly, but did get better. Many others also performed terribly throughout. If Cucurella comes in I think against most teams we’re expected to beat he’ll play on the right where he can be less predictable with his actions given he’s right footed.
Personally think Cancelo is a better LB than RB.

I would always put Walker in my team if fit, not anywhere near as good as Cancelo with the ball but contributes twice as much for the team overall.

[Snip]... My hope is we just needed to blow out some cobwebs and yesterday will hit home we need to be sharper. I also suspect Pep saying “the players gave their all and I told them I’m proud of them” was just media lip service rather than his actual belief... [Snip]
I don't understand why some people like to think Pep lies in press conferences about not castigating our players after matches like this. He was talking about effort given, not performance, and while the overall performance was lacking there wasn't much evidence the players weren't trying.

It was Pep's decision to give them the time off he did and only play a couple of pre-season games against non-PL opposition during what was in effect more of a PR trip/extended bonding session than a period of serious training exercises in the USA. So he would have known they wouldn't be match fit and there would be plenty of work to be done to get the team performing at its peak. So why would he lay into them if they tried their best in the circumstances? They were clearly very dissatisfied and disappointed after the match so presumably he didn't think they needed to be made to feel worse. That would be horrible management. If he did actually tell them he was proud of them for the effort, "we move" etc, that would be much more effective and motivational for them so I really hope that's what he did.

I don't understand why some people like to think Pep lies in press conferences about not castigating our players after matches like this. He was talking about effort given, not performance, and while the overall performance was lacking there wasn't much evidence the players weren't trying.

It was Pep's decision to give them the time off he did and only play a couple of pre-season games against non-PL opposition during what was in effect more of a PR trip/extended bonding session than a period of serious training exercises in the USA. So he would have known they wouldn't be match fit and there would be plenty of work to be done to get the team performing at its peak. So why would he lay into them if they tried their best in the circumstances? They were clearly very dissatisfied and disappointed after the match so presumably he didn't think they needed to be made to feel worse. That would be horrible management. If he did actually tell them he was proud of them for the effort, "we move" etc, that would be much more effective and motivational for them so I really hope that's what he did.

think he did behind the close door, no way press conference mode Pep will be the only answer for yesterday performance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.