It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

I suspect most City fans put on a brave face when they say they don't care about the CL. My Old Man, my brother, myself, my City supporting mates all care about winning it. There are two big trophies in club football, the domestic league and the European Cup; we've only won one of them. It's an issue, and will rightly be used as a stick to beat us with until we do win it. To be immortalised as a truly great team you need to win the League and CL with the same set of players. I'm sorry if that's an uncomfortable truth for some, but it's a truth nonetheless.

Keeping it on topic, it's far too late in the day for us to be losing Bernardo, much less for what would be a derisory sum. Our policy of letting unhappy players go is only finitely commendable; there are circumstances where it is folly and this is one of those circumstances. Losing Bernie drastically reduces our chances of the big silverware this season.
I’m 44 and genuinely couldn’t care less about the CL, as I say if we win it then great but if not Im not bothered. If it was the actual champions all competing then it’s a different story, but it’s not! It’s a competition where a 4th placed team could be crowned champions of Europe despite only being the 4th best in their domestic league.. How’s that right? It’s completely lost all meaning and relevance to me (just my personal opinion). I’d much rather win the PL 4 on the bounce and continue to break records than pick that trophy up.

edit: to add, look at the here we go again thread in the main forum, I’m clearly not alone, most want the PL with quite a few saying fuck Europe!

Last edited:
Did i mention any specific player in my post?? City have needed a left back for years now and done nothing, it’s a stupid situation to be in and total fault of the club.
No you didn’t but you completely slagged off City’s transfer policy, where the only real gap is left back, and the left back we were clearly after wasn’t available for a sensible price. There’s a reason we got Toure, Silva x2, KDB, Sane, Gundogan, Diaz, Rodri etc etc for great prices, it’s because we are a sensible brilliantly run club, who has won 4 out of the last 5 titles in the hardest league in the world, rather than a club who reacts to impatient,needy, knicker wetting panickers. Just my opinion

For a coach like Pep i am sure he gets other offers and opportunities. He has nothing at all to prove domestically on his record in England, its incredible what he has done but Europe is a different matter and that is why he is still here.
So if we win it this year he’s off yeh? I mean not point sticking around once he’s won it right?

Much better mate! Hope you’re well too?

I struggled end of last season to get some perspective on football but been working on that this summer so hopefully be a tad more temperate this year. Though will likely still flap
Am good mate. I don't think you'll be on your own flapping, we seem to have a little band of flappers who was in the Cucurella thread.
No doubt they'll be in the match thread after :)

Probably the wrong thread anyway for talk of why Pep was employed but it seems overly simplisitc to say that he was brought in to win the Champions League.

I'm pretty sure he was recruited for two primary reasons: he's the best, he plays the kind of football that the club has strategically chosen as the style in which it wants to play and was therefore the best candidate to help lay that foundation.

As Pep himself said, of course he wants to win the UCL and the club do; but he and they want to win every trophy; however, they know they can't win everything all the time.

I suspect people outside the club obssess over City not having won it yet more than anyone connected with the club does. The club's approach should be the one Pep espouses, just keep trying to be better year on year and the trophies will keep coming. We've been pretty great at the League and Carabou; less so at FA Cup and UCL. The League is the key test because it is less influenced by one-off events that can be decisive in cup competitions.

Do you not think his love for the club and the people he gets to work with every day also plays a huge part?
It does of course and i honestly dont think there is a better job in world football, but guys like Pep are driven by challenges and the pull of winning the Champs league with City must be a huge.

Show a quote that says he was brought in to win the CL… most fans don’t care about the CL, if we win then great but if not ‘meh’ I’ll not lose any sleep. Pep and the club have repeatedly stated the league is much harder to win and means a lot when we do because of that. I’ve never heard them once though mention how important it is to win the CL. The owner wants it sure, but only because it benefits the state sponsors and is a great promo for Abu Dhabi, not because Joe bloggs fan wants it.
So basically you have no interest in being on a level with Real, Bayern, and Barca in Europe? That's your prerogative, but if you believe the club, including Pep, feels that way you are greatly mistaken. For me its an odd perspective from some supporters that we've built the type of club and squad we have to not want to be recognized as the best team in Europe, in the world. Personally it sounds like a cop out from those who can't accept the fact we haven't been able to win it yet. I would love to win it on its own merits, but also to silence all the haters who use it as the only factual stick left for them to beat us with. JMO.

You don't need to tell me the source is crap and that this will almost certainly not happen, I already know that. But this is a transfer speculation forum and I'm just throwing it out there. IF Bernardo wants out and the club would accept to sell him, what are your thoughts on Verratti as a possible replacement?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.