It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

I’ve been singing his praises for 2 years on here.

The replies you will get on BM are…

Bang average
LOL
Not our standard
He's a very good player but nowhere near Bernardo

I love his attitude and self confidence though. He certainly wouldn't be fazed joining our squad

He's a very good player but nowhere near Bernardo

I love his attitude and self confidence though. He certainly wouldn't be fazed joining our squad
Bernardo is sort of unique so I don’t think we would get a like for like replacement were he to leave.

From Soriano's book;

"Guardiola always prefers working with smaller groups with stable hierarchies and not a lot of internal competition. In the years that he has been leading the Barcelona first team, the number of squad players has diminished and some of the new signings that have arrived at the club have known that they would be reserves and should not question the existing hierarchy. Guardiola chooses to work with 14 or15 players that have his total confidence. The end result is a very stable playing style and a changing room that doesn't harbour much conflict. The obvious risk is a potential lack of resources in case of injuries or fatigue during the long seasons"

Not sure if his attitude has changed since arriving in the PL but our leaders seem content with the risks.

If you look at the number of players who started 10+ games when Pep was at Barcelona you get 18, 17, 16, 18 in his 4 seasons. If you look at the number who played 10+ games it's 21, 20, 20, 22.

So while Pep may have talked about working with 14 or 15 players, it was simply never the case in reality.

Remember that was at Barca, where he had 1 less competition to play in, and could bring in unlimited numbers of Barca B players who were playing professional football every week to cover in easy La Liga games, which he did all the time. He actually used 31, 27, 31, 31 players in each season - way more then he ever would here.

It's not a coincidence that we won 4 trophies in the season we had the biggest squad. Nor is it a coincidence that Liverpool got 180 minutes away from a quadruple last season when they had a huge squad.

If you want to win across 4 competitions you need at least 20 reliable, proven players.

I would suggest we have 18, I'm not countring Rico Lewis or JWE, but will count Palmer. So we are at least 2 short.

That's before we even get into worrying about the world cup and the fact we have 3x as many players expected to go as Liverpool...

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.