It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Not sure I agree.
A good winter signing can really help. Diaz reignited Liverpool’s season to an extent.

The right signing could really help come Jan.
Kulusevski and Betancur were a big help to Spurs making the top 4 as well.

Kulusevski and Betancur were a big help to Spurs making the top 4 as well.
After looking like they might not, as Txiki said in the documentary the reasons to sign in January are something has gone wrong, a big injury or an opportunity too good to miss pops up. Thats true, planning now to buy in January though is bad planning.

I think if a top class left back was available, then we would have bought him already, but for whatever reason we haven’t.

I readily accept that my pet theory as it were could prove to be absolute bollocks, but any World Cup influence in this transfer window is likely to have been more of a factor for City than for other teams, so I suspect that we’ve wanted to buy more players, but been frustrated.

Also, without wishing to be a smart arse, I would point out that Phillips was actually bought this summer to provide depth, and so far he’s been constantly injured. So there’s a bit of luck involved as well, and hopefully we’ll be ok for the next couple of months.
We're reportedly in negotiations for Dortmund CB Akanji. I saw a report about this yesterday & dismissed it, but there are several credible reports about the player.

It's a bolt out of the blue, & seemingly seems odd seeing as we have four senior CB's already. Is there a longterm injury fear that we're not fully aware of?

Can the dude play LB? Does he free up Aké/Laporté to cover more at LB?

Personally I think we need a senior top class LB & a top class LW too.

We're reportedly in negotiations for Dortmund CB Akanji. I saw a report about this yesterday & dismissed it, but there are several credible reports about the player.

It's a bolt out of the blue, & seemingly seems odd seeing as we have four senior CB's already. Is there a longterm injury fear that we're not fully aware of?

Can the dude play LB? Does he free up Aké/Laporté to cover more at LB?

Personally I think we need a senior top class LB & a top class LW too.
Can only assume that Ake is going to take a bit longer than expected to return, and with Laporte perhaps being out until late September, the deal offered by Dortmund was too good to turn down.

I think Laporte can do a good job at left back anyway, and I also have a feeling that Pep may play with three at the back and wing backs a bit more often this year in order to try to get Haaland and Alvarez into the same team.

Can only assume that Ake is going to take a bit longer than expected to return, and with Laporte perhaps being out until late September, the deal offered by Dortmund was too good to turn down.

I think Laporte can do a good job at left back anyway, and I also have a feeling that Pep may play with three at the back and wing backs a bit more often this year in order to try to get Haaland and Alvarez into the same team.
Something's happened to trigger this & as you've mentioned, 3 at the back & playing 2 strikers becomes another tactical possibility. Apparently he's been tried at Left Back & excelled there too...

"It's clear that Manuel's a really good footballer with real pace. We knew he could play left-back, and he didn't disappoint." - former Dortmund coach Peter Stöger after Akanji deputised for Marcel Schmelzer at left-back in a Bundesliga match against Bayer Leverkusen
Huh, they played him at RB most of the times he was shifted, nice find on the quote

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.