It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Chelsea signing Fofana on a 7 year deal suggests the claims that 5 years is the max possible in the PL are not quite true.
The minimum length of a contract shall be from its effective date until the end of the season, while the maximum length of a contract shall be five years. Contracts of any other length shall only be permitted if consistent with national laws.

Players under the age of 18 may not sign a professional contract for a term longer than three years. Any clause referring to a longer period shall not be recognised.

Chelsea signing Fofana on a 7 year deal suggests the claims that 5 years is the max possible in the PL are not quite true.

Straight from the FIFA handbook

mr1jqkz.png

I don't think there's a limit in the UK on the length of contract.

How many times have we heard Pep, Txiki and Ferran lament over the years how ineffective the youth/EDS system in England is in preparing players for first team football, as all they play is other talented kids.

They often draw comparison to the Spanish system, in which youth teams compete in the leagues below La Liga against proper first teams - giving them a genuine footballing education in preparation for playing in the first team.

It seems with Southampton we’ve found a way around this problem - and long may it continue.

I’m very happy for us to sell all our most promising kids to them (with a buy back), allowing them to play PL football week in week out, and bringing the very best back to City in the future - rewarding Southampton for training them up in the process.

It’s a win-win situation!
Hasn't one of our chief scouts gone to Saints? Could it be that he's using his unique knowledge of City to pick off the best of the rest from the EDS? Will his inside knowledge be as valid once this current crop of EDS Graduates have passed through our system?

It does seem crazy that there isn't a mechanism to give younger players a chance to play league football under the umbrella of a larger parent club? I can't see the FA, PL or FL making moves on this front anytime soon to be honest.

Hasn't one of our chief scouts gone to Saints? Could it be that he's using his unique knowledge of City to pick off the best of the rest from the EDS? Will his inside knowledge be as valid once this current crop of EDS Graduates have passed through our system?

It does seem crazy that there isn't a mechanism to give younger players a chance to play league football under the umbrella of a larger parent club? I can't see the FA, PL or FL making moves on this front anytime soon to be honest.
Yep ,Joe Shields. Our head of academy recruitment. to there head of recruitment.

Exactly mate - that was Joe Shields, one of our youth team scouts.

When he left us for Southampton, there was consternation amongst a lot of City fans that he would raid our youth team and take all our best talent - whereas actually it’s clear he’s working with us to build a mutually beneficial relationship, where we sell them our best young talent to play regularly and develop in the PL, and we include a buy back that rewards Southampton for their efforts but enables us to bring the best back to City.

It’s another example of how forward thinking and innovative our Execs are - genuinely a cut above anyone else in this country.

The issue is our league system is huge. How many teams would want B teams? 44?

What happens to the 44 clubs booted out of the league and the affect it has on their towns/cities.

Exactly mate - that was Joe Shields, one of our youth team scouts.

When he left us for Southampton, there was consternation amongst a lot of City fans that he would raid our youth team and take all our best talent - whereas actually it’s clear he’s working with us to build a mutually beneficial relationship, where we sell them our best young talent to play regularly and develop in the PL, and we include a buy back that rewards Southampton for their efforts but enables us to bring the best back to City.

It’s another example of how forward thinking and innovative our Execs are - genuinely a cut above anyone else in this country.
There's also reports that Larios & Edozie are also being lined up for permanent moves to St Mary's, with buyback clauses included in the deal.

The issue is our league system is huge. How many teams would want B teams? 44?

What happens to the 44 clubs booted out of the league and the affect it has on their towns/cities.
Don't the Barça B & Real B teams operate separately from the parent club?

Do they use the same facilities & play at the same grounds? I could see an issue if the B Teams were that closely aligned.

BUT, what about if City bought Oldham & ManUre bought Stockport to send our U23's to? Would both sets of fans complain if doing this secured both club's league futures?

As an Oldham, Bury or Stockport fan, I wouldn't be complaining.

Edit: Barcelona B do have separate facilities. They play at the 15276 capacity Mini Estadi in the Spanish 3rd Division, after being relegated.

1280px-Mini_Estadi_FCB.jpg

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.