It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

When we inevitably get a couple of injuries at the time of the fa cup and CL quarters/semis with no squad depth we write off another year.

If we’re to return to 17/18/19 dominance and see off a resurgent united, arsenal and chelsea I think we need to go big in summer:

Sell:
Laporte 50 (his time and last 2 years)
Gomez 10 (not good enough)
Cancelo 40 (bridges burned move on)
Gundo nil (not enough energy his time)
Bernardo 50 (soap opera)
Steffen 5 (not good enough)
Wilson Esbrand 5 (+buyback)
Doyle 10 (+buyback)
McAtee 10 (+buyback)
Kabore 10 (cash in)
Herrera 5 (cash in)
Total 195

Loan out:

Palmer (lower half prem team)
Delap (another championship year)
Harwood Bellis (1 more year at Burnley in PL)

Buy:
Gvardiol 90 (laporte replacement)
Starting LB 45 (cancelo replacement)
Versatile back up FB 20 (gomez replacement)
Bellingham 120 (gundo replacement)
Pacey winger 80 (bernardo replacement)
Versatile back up winger 30 (new squad role)
Versatile back up CAM 30 (new squad role)
Total 415

Increases squad size by 2

To do that in one summer is ridiculous but we’ve brought that upon ourselves with decisions made over last 2 windows.

It depends how many want to leave and what offers we get. I'd like to see us allow Gundogan to go, but I can get the logic in keeping him another year with Bernardo likely to be off. I can see Laporte going too and realistically Cancelo's unlikely to have a future with us now. With 4CBs already at the club, and three of them likely to play in each game because of Gomez' current performances, I'd expect us to bring in a full back and maybe a young prospect. In midfield we could see one or two added depending on who leaves, but we're not likely to see a dramatic overhaul. Pep will expect further improvement from Haaland, Alvarez, Akanji. Jury is out on Phillips.

When we had a dip in 2019/20 we largely put it down to Kompany's departure. We'd signed Rodri who wasn't looking a capable Ferny replacement and ultimately we'd won back-to-back titles and naturally had a drop in performances. We didn't go panic stations though. We brought in Dias, Ake and Cancelo. We let Sane go to Bayern. And we won back-to-back titles again.

If we go by reports the two left backs we are looking at are Robinson and Chilwell which one should we get and be happy with? In the summer

When we inevitably get a couple of injuries at the time of the fa cup and CL quarters/semis with no squad depth we write off another year.

If we’re to return to 17/18/19 dominance and see off a resurgent united, arsenal and chelsea I think we need to go big in summer:

Sell:
Laporte 50 (his time and last 2 years)
Gomez 10 (not good enough)
Cancelo 40 (bridges burned move on)
Gundo nil (not enough energy his time)
Bernardo 50 (soap opera)
Steffen 5 (not good enough)
Wilson Esbrand 5 (+buyback)
Doyle 10 (+buyback)
McAtee 10 (+buyback)
Kabore 10 (cash in)
Herrera 5 (cash in)
Total 195

Loan out:

Palmer (lower half prem team)
Delap (another championship year)
Harwood Bellis (1 more year at Burnley in PL)

Buy:
Gvardiol 90 (laporte replacement)
Starting LB 45 (cancelo replacement)
Versatile back up FB 20 (gomez replacement)
Bellingham 120 (gundo replacement)
Pacey winger 80 (bernardo replacement)
Versatile back up winger 30 (new squad role)
Versatile back up CAM 30 (new squad role)
Total 415

Increases squad size by 2

To do that in one summer is ridiculous but we’ve brought that upon ourselves with decisions made over last 2 windows.

“To do that in one summer is ridiculous”.

Might want to think before you post Doris love.

Reactions: nmc
It depends how many want to leave and what offers we get. I'd like to see us allow Gundogan to go, but I can get the logic in keeping him another year with Bernardo likely to be off. I can see Laporte going too and realistically Cancelo's unlikely to have a future with us now. With 4CBs already at the club, and three of them likely to play in each game because of Gomez' current performances, I'd expect us to bring in a full back and maybe a young prospect. In midfield we could see one or two added depending on who leaves, but we're not likely to see a dramatic overhaul. Pep will expect further improvement from Haaland, Alvarez, Akanji. Jury is out on Phillips.

When we had a dip in 2019/20 we largely put it down to Kompany's departure. We'd signed Rodri who wasn't looking a capable Ferny replacement and ultimately we'd won back-to-back titles and naturally had a drop in performances. We didn't go panic stations though. We brought in Dias, Ake and Cancelo. We let Sane go to Bayern. And we won back-to-back titles again.
I just feel like the competition is going to be higher over the next few years than we’ve dealt with in recent years. Not as good as liverpool were but more than 1 capable rival.
I dont think tweaks will keep us ahead anymore. Big shake up, refresh and reset before its so obvious its too late

Fair comments but we were obviously happy with Cancelo at left back going into the season, I don't think that's a absurd strategy. Ok he's gone because of what's happened, we react and hopefully address the issues this summer.

I think as a club we struggle to get deals done, time after time clubs want more money due to who they are negating with, this only changes if you change your transfer philosophy. Look at Chelsea the club is a joke, they still need to sign a striker and after the Enzo deal. can only imagine clubs rubbing their hands together when negating with them.

I think its clear to us as fans something needs to change, which I like to think means its clear to the people that run City. Haaland was clearly the deal we wanted to do, and sounds like it was a lot more expensive that just 50m release clause, I think based of reports, Tolmie and common sense we are ready for a big window. Hopefully unlike last year we don't just see us sign say Bellingham, few role players and not fully strengthen across the board. Pep keeps hinting at the fact we need change, we have become visually stale in play and everyone is spending money. Personally I can't see us not addressing the issues this summer.

To the outside, there does appear to be a level of complacency that has crept in amongst the Exec at the Club over the last few years - like we’ve got Pep, who is the defining Manager of his generation, so we can take it a little easier and not push as hard to bring in the best at every level

The hunger we had to bring in the very best players to give us the very best chance of competing just doesn’t seem to be there at the moment.

Cancelo is a great example. Personally I’m completely supportive of the Club getting rid of him if the attitude we all know he has in him was causing problems across the squad. No problem - there’s no room for that shit, and it spreads fast if not dealt with quickly, ruthlessly and efficiently.

But not even bothering to try for a replacement to give the Manager and the rest of the team the best chance of competing - that’s lazy, and complacent.

Signing Haaland was a master stroke, as was Alvarez - but settling for average in Phillips and Gomez? That’s not a Club pushing to be the best.

Since our last big rebuild in summer 2016 and 17 which created the spine of Pep’s title winning teams, over the past few years we’ve brought in Grealish (21), Torres, Ake, Dias (20), Angelino, Rodri, Steffen, Cancelo (19) and Mahrez (18).

Some great players in there - Grealish, Dias, Rodri and Mahrez stand out in particular - but it’s mostly been adding one a year to replace our legends leaving, rather than striving to push ahead of the pack.

I think that’s starting to catch up with us now, and the Club desperately needs to snap out of its complacency this summer.

It’s time for another rebuild, as Arsenal, Chelsea and United are in the process of overtaking us - Pep or no Pep.

We can’t have another summer like the last few.

We need another 2017. Another 2010. One of those windows that creates another spine to push us on into the next generation of success.

I hope the Club are still up for the challenge.

To the outside, there does appear to be a level of complacency that has crept in amongst the Exec at the Club over the last few years - like we’ve got Pep, who is the defining Manager of his generation, so we can take it a little easier and not push as hard to bring in the best at every level

The hunger we had to bring in the very best players to give us the very best chance of competing just doesn’t seem to be there at the moment.

Cancelo is a great example. Personally I’m completely supportive of the Club getting rid of him if the attitude we all know he has in him was causing problems across the squad. No problem - there’s no room for that shit, and it spreads fast if not dealt with quickly, ruthlessly and efficiently.

But not even bothering to try for a replacement to give the Manager and the rest of the team the best chance of competing - that’s lazy, and complacent.

Signing Haaland was a master stroke, as was Alvarez - but settling for average in Phillips and Gomez? That’s not a Club pushing to be the best.

Since our last big rebuild in summer 2016 and 17 which created the spine of Pep’s title winning teams, over the past few years we’ve brought in Grealish (21), Torres, Ake, Dias (20), Angelino, Rodri, Steffen, Cancelo (19) and Mahrez (18).

Some great players in there - Grealish, Dias, Rodri and Mahrez stand out in particular - but it’s mostly been adding one a year to replace our legends leaving, rather than striving to push ahead of the pack.

I think that’s starting to catch up with us now, and the Club desperately needs to snap out of its complacency this summer.

It’s time for another rebuild, as Arsenal, Chelsea and United are in the process of overtaking us - Pep or no Pep.

We can’t have another summer like the last few.

We need another 2017. Another 2010. One of those windows that creates another spine to push us on into the next generation of success.

I hope the Club are still up for the challenge.
What a load of rubbish.

Complacency doesn't result in 4 titles in 5 years, a CL final and several domestic trophies with record breaking seasons.

You even say yourself, we have gone and identified players and bought them to replace players leaving and that has resulted in us staying at the top. What is your suggestion here, just go and buy 10 players for the sake of it rather than the one we actually need?
Clearly you have never watched a single interview with Pep, he is very clear about how he builds a team and a squad. His record speaks for itself, so he clearly knows what hes doing.

If Chelsea and the rags are in the process of overtaking us, they must be doing a fucking shite job because both are comfortably behind us and we have been shite this season by our standards.
Arsenal having the season of a lifetime (backed by several hundred million pound in signings) are the only club ahead of us and even we dumped them out the cup last week.

All 3 of those clubs have spent the GDP of a small nation just to try and compete and so far, two of them are doing a pretty crap job because only one of them is above us.

"I hope the Club are still up for the challenge."
One bad season by our standards and this is the sort of comments we are seeing.
Nah were not up for it mate.
The best assembled management team in football is going to start signing Mido and Lee Cattermole and hopefully we can be around mid table next season.

This transfer spending by Chelsea has sent this place into a meltdown, its embarassing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.