It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

What a load of rubbish.

Complacency doesn't result in 4 titles in 5 years, two CL finals and several domestic trophies with record breaking seasons.

You even say yourself, we have gone and identified players and bought them to replace players leaving and that has resulted in us staying at the top. What is your suggestion here, just go and buy 10 players for the sake of it rather than the one we actually need?
Clearly you have never watched a single interview with Pep, he is very clear about how he builds a team and a squad. His record speaks for itself, so he clearly knows what hes doing.

If Chelsea and the rags are in the process of overtaking us, they must be doing a fucking shite job because both are comfortably behind us and we have been shite this season by our standards.
Arsenal having the season of a lifetime (backed by several hundred million pound in signings) are the only club ahead of us and even we dumped them out the cup last week.

All 3 of those clubs have spent the GDP of a small nation just to try and compete and so far, two of them are doing a pretty crap job because only one of them is above us.

"I hope the Club are still up for the challenge."
One bad season by our standards and this is the sort of comments we are seeing.
Nah were not up for it mate.
The best assembled management team in football is going to start signing Mido and Lee Cattermole and hopefully we can be around mid table next season.

This transfer spending by Chelsea has sent this place into a meltdown, its embarassing.
2 CL Finals? have I been in a coma?

What a load of rubbish.

Complacency doesn't result in 4 titles in 5 years, a CL final and several domestic trophies with record breaking seasons.

You even say yourself, we have gone and identified players and bought them to replace players leaving and that has resulted in us staying at the top. What is your suggestion here, just go and buy 10 players for the sake of it rather than the one we actually need?
Clearly you have never watched a single interview with Pep, he is very clear about how he builds a team and a squad. His record speaks for itself, so he clearly knows what hes doing.

If Chelsea and the rags are in the process of overtaking us, they must be doing a fucking shite job because both are comfortably behind us and we have been shite this season by our standards.
Arsenal having the season of a lifetime (backed by several hundred million pound in signings) are the only club ahead of us and even we dumped them out the cup last week.

All 3 of those clubs have spent the GDP of a small nation just to try and compete and so far, two of them are doing a pretty crap job because only one of them is above us.

The best assembled management team in football is going to start signing Mido and Lee Cattermole and hopefully we can be around mid table next season.

This transfer spending by Chelsea has sent this place into a meltdown, its embarassing.

The hyperbole aside, the club has had a rather relaxed attitude to parts of the squad at times.

They've left Pep with more to do than he should, for example having to plug the centre back position with Fernandinho, having to plug the left back position with a succession of players that aren't a left back, not having a striker for one season, buying a sick note of a player to rotate with Rodri.

We've done fantastic, mainly in part to Pep's brilliance.

Imagine what we could do if the club didn't provide him with a squad with some glaring deficiencies or something he has to fix every year?

To the outside, there does appear to be a level of complacency that has crept in amongst the Exec at the Club over the last few years - like we’ve got Pep, who is the defining Manager of his generation, so we can take it a little easier and not push as hard to bring in the best at every level

The hunger we had to bring in the very best players to give us the very best chance of competing just doesn’t seem to be there at the moment.

Cancelo is a great example. Personally I’m completely supportive of the Club getting rid of him if the attitude we all know he has in him was causing problems across the squad. No problem - there’s no room for that shit, and it spreads fast if not dealt with quickly, ruthlessly and efficiently.

But not even bothering to try for a replacement to give the Manager and the rest of the team the best chance of competing - that’s lazy, and complacent.

Signing Haaland was a master stroke, as was Alvarez - but settling for average in Phillips and Gomez? That’s not a Club pushing to be the best.

Since our last big rebuild in summer 2016 and 17 which created the spine of Pep’s title winning teams, over the past few years we’ve brought in Grealish (21), Torres, Ake, Dias (20), Angelino, Rodri, Steffen, Cancelo (19) and Mahrez (18).

Some great players in there - Grealish, Dias, Rodri and Mahrez stand out in particular - but it’s mostly been adding one a year to replace our legends leaving, rather than striving to push ahead of the pack.

I think that’s starting to catch up with us now, and the Club desperately needs to snap out of its complacency this summer.

It’s time for another rebuild, as Arsenal, Chelsea and United are in the process of overtaking us - Pep or no Pep.

We can’t have another summer like the last few.

We need another 2017. Another 2010. One of those windows that creates another spine to push us on into the next generation of success.

I hope the Club are still up for the challenge.
I guess that's what happens with success. You could say complacent or you could say delighted with the squad because look at the results. As long as everyone knows and is happy for a rebuild to happen I think we are in a great place because like you say it has happened before.

I agree some transfers have been a bit lacklustre. Gomez was a result of missing out on Cuc and getting someone in which is what you currently wanted to happen with the Cancelo situation, that time they reacted. Phillips I think we all knew was a risk I personally would have preferred another player when linked but you ride with it, you can't get every transfer 100% all the time.

I think we are in a great place just needs a few more core players then we may see another 4 titles in 5 years and I would hope these complaints stop.

When we inevitably get a couple of injuries at the time of the fa cup and CL quarters/semis with no squad depth we write off another year.

If we’re to return to 17/18/19 dominance and see off a resurgent united, arsenal and chelsea I think we need to go big in summer:

Sell:
Laporte 50 (his time and last 2 years)
Gomez 10 (not good enough)
Cancelo 40 (bridges burned move on)
Gundo nil (not enough energy his time)
Bernardo 50 (soap opera)
Steffen 5 (not good enough)
Wilson Esbrand 5 (+buyback)
Doyle 10 (+buyback)
McAtee 10 (+buyback)
Kabore 10 (cash in)
Herrera 5 (cash in)
Total 195

Loan out:

Palmer (lower half prem team)
Delap (another championship year)
Harwood Bellis (1 more year at Burnley in PL)

Buy:
Gvardiol 90 (laporte replacement)
Starting LB 45 (cancelo replacement)
Versatile back up FB 20 (gomez replacement)
Bellingham 120 (gundo replacement)
Pacey winger 80 (bernardo replacement)
Versatile back up winger 30 (new squad role)
Versatile back up CAM 30 (new squad role)
Total 415

Increases squad size by 2

To do that in one summer is ridiculous but we’ve brought that upon ourselves with decisions made over last 2 windows.
Write off another year? How often have we done that in recent memory?

I just feel like the competition is going to be higher over the next few years than we’ve dealt with in recent years. Not as good as liverpool were but more than 1 capable rival.
I dont think tweaks will keep us ahead anymore. Big shake up, refresh and reset before its so obvious its too late
next summer will show the desire of our owners to keep us at the top of the english pyramid.

i must admit the thought of us responding to the chelsea splurge and probably the rags and the arse spending again in the summer and us possibly signing James Maddison and Ben Chilwell doesnt exactly get you giddy does it? Bellingham is a must imo now Enzo isnt an option and the likes of Alphonso Davies who is everting the final year of his contract and is a get you off your seat type of player it seems Pep and the club maybe think English players are going to give less grief and want to leave back to their homelands thus giving us more stability?

What a load of rubbish.

Complacency doesn't result in 4 titles in 5 years, a CL final and several domestic trophies with record breaking seasons.

Lol - not sure where you got half of that torrent of nonsense from, as it certainly wasn’t from anything in my post, but if you want to create a series of false dichotomies for yourself to get all worked up and argue against, you crack on mate!

If you’re actually interested in a conversation, then I’ll try and keep it simple and answer your questions for you.

What’s my suggestion?

Without wanting to repeat what was in my post, my suggestion was that this summer needs a rebuild like the ones in 2010 and 2017, where we don’t just replace an outgoing player with a new and carry on with the same core.

It seems likely Gundo, Bernardo and Cancelo will be leaving us this summer, and there have been noises about Laporte and Walker too. Mahrez and KDB no longer seem to be able to perform at two games a week. Phillips and Gomez don’t look up to the job based on performances so far.

That’s pretty major surgery in anyone’s book, which needs a new spine building. We’re good at Centre Forward and Centre Back, but the rest of the team needs serious work.

I know Pep is good at his job, but if you’ve taken the time to listen to what he’s been saying recently, he’s challenged all levels of the Club not to be complacent. That’s his word, not mine.

He’s not saying that by mistake. He wants to see that hunger back at all levels of the Club. For someone who seems so keen to lecture other people on listening to our Manager, you don’t seem at all capable of following your own advice!

Recent windows would suggest we’ve been happy to tinker about the edges, replacing players one by one - and that’s been fine. We’ve won a shit load of trophies by adding to the spine incrementally. But you can’t keep doing that indefinitely. At some point, you need a major refresh.

What I’m suggesting is that time is this summer.

And given Pep’s comments about the lack of hunger in the squad this year, and the creeping complacency across all levels at the Club - I’d suggest our Manager agrees.

If we don’t, then ambitious Clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea and United will overtake us. You can rant and rave about that all you like, but it’s a fact.

The hyperbole aside, the club has had a rather relaxed attitude to parts of the squad at times.

They've left Pep with more to do than he should, for example having to plug the centre back position with Fernandinho, having to plug the left back position with a succession of players that aren't a left back, not having a striker for one season, buying a sick note of a player to rotate with Rodri.

We've done fantastic, mainly in part to Pep's brilliance.

Imagine what we could do if the club didn't provide him with a squad with some glaring deficiencies or something he has to fix every year?
I do not believe for one second the club are leaving him short changed. Pep would never agree to that.

Pep gets the final say on everything. If we havent signed a LB it is because Pep doesn't want one or at least any of the ones on the table, you could of course believe Txiki is incapable of bringing the likes of Theo Hernandez to the table but this is real life, not football manager.

Not a chance that Txiki and the whole CFG sat around all summer and last minute just went oh how about Kalvin down at Leeds and Pep just blindly took it. Pep wanted him from the start and Txiki's job was to go and get him.

Pep wouldn't keep signing contract extensions if we were failing to deliver what he wanted. Pep didn't want any of the strikers on offer after Aguero left so he went for a false nine system, then Haaland became available so Txiki went and signed him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.