It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Two out of three of those leaving means City goes for another attacker. All three leaving warrants 2 attacking signings.
Why?

Haaland
Álvarez
Foden
Grealish
Palmer
Mahrez/Sterling/Jesus

Is plenty of options. Nah only if all 3 leave do we need another attacker

3-5-2 is bang on a formation Pep would use if he got a left footed leftback that overlaps and can play LWB like Cucurella can, with Alvarez and Haaland up top. Not perhaps this season, but when theyve both settled.

We used it before a certain LB got injured in the 17/18 season, Jesus and Aguero ripped Liverpool apart in that 5 nil win. Alvarez and Haaland could do the same

Its a mouth watering prospect for fans and Pep.

Honestly, I think the core of the team's philosophy/tactics will remain 433 - but the signing of an orthodox left back/wing back and having genuine strikers on the books will absolutely give Pep more room to move things around in game or to come up with one off tactics for certain opponents.

One thing which has struck me - if you go back to Pep's time at Bayern he used tons more formations than he has done at City. I think part of that was just him keeping himself amused in a flat track league, but I also think the fact he had more versatile players and more intelligent players allowed him to do that.

Our squad is getting to that stage now where you can see him being able to move things around more.
If I remember correctly, Pep said that winning the second balls is the key to winning in the PL. I think it was in the close season a year after he joined that he opened up about the issues he had to resolve.

Therefore, he will always have different formations here than elsewhere. He needs 4 players at the back when attacking to stop the opposition out ball. 2 CBs, one to engage, one to drop off, CDM (it’s no coincidence that Rodri is 6’4”) to front screen their forward and a tucked in full back as an auxiliary CDM.

Maybe he could do that with Rodri as one of the back 3, but I can’t see it happening in bigger games as the 4th player would have to be a wing back, which negates one side from attacking.

Why?

Haaland
Álvarez
Foden
Grealish
Palmer
Mahrez/Sterling/Jesus

City would not go from having Mahrez Sterling and Jesus to just one of those and Palmer for a full 60 game season. Come on now... and Tolmie confirmed my thesis on city getting one if two leaves etc.

We used it before a certain LB got injured in the 17/18 season, Jesus and Aguero ripped Liverpool apart in that 5 nil win. Alvarez and Haaland could do the same

Its a mouth watering prospect for fans and Pep.
That should give him a lot more motivation, not only that City are signing proper players but actually giving him the tools to be more creative.

Why?

Haaland
Álvarez
Foden
Grealish
Palmer
Mahrez/Sterling/Jesus

Squad numbers is why we would replace Jesus, you've got the EFL Cup, Fa Cup, Champions league, Premier league. Also the world Cup to contend with next season . Pep respects the cups so he's not going to throw in youth.

Alvarez replaces Torres
Haaland replaces Aguero
Jesus needs a replacement if he leaves. So the squad isn't thin in the run in.

Squad numbers is why we would replace Jesus, you've got the EFL Cup, Fa Cup, Champions league, Premier league. Also the world Cup to contend with next season . Pep respects the cups so he's not going to throw in youth.

Alvarez replaces Torres
Haaland replaces Aguero
Jesus needs a replacement if he leaves. So the squad isn't thin in the run in.
My point is; Jesus leaving alone makes Palmer enough to cover as 3rd choice RW BUT if we sell two of those rws then we must and will sign a top level winger.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.