It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

He’s definitely not worth that level of investment, and - if true - I hope we stay well away from the deal.

If Cucurella is as advanced as suggested, and we can get him in relatively soon - that leaves us with three key positions filled nice and early, and the whole of June/July to focus on finding a better option to replace Fernandinho at DM.
Exactly midfielder may be a bit of a waiting game- you never know who may become available. For example talk around gavi- I think City would jump at that

We paid 40m for Ake, at the peak of the pandemic, when Bournemouth had been relegated.

We paid 100m for Grealish, who had played more in the championship than the premier league, breaking our previous transfer record by 40m.

I think we've shown that once we've identified a player who has the right qualities and is a good fit for the squad, we're happy to pay what it takes to get them, even if it seems overpriced at first glance.

I think we'd be willing to part with the best part of 50m for Phillips if need be.

This reminds me of the Grealish saga - some swearing he has a release clause at a certain amount, others saying there is no clause and we'll have to pay X amount to sign him. The truth is probably somewhere inbetween - he probably does have a clause but I would expect it to be higher than 35m.

Garcia was offered a contract and Pep was fully behind him. by all accounts - city were sort of surprised when he asked to leave on a free !!

Ferran was in and out of the team - agreed , but there was a lot of excitement when he had come and a regular for spain and age was on his side. Also we got him for hardly 20m Euros if I recall correctly.

Yes ,we did sell him for a good profit for ferran , but point I was trying to make is - these Barca lads do tend to want to leave and maybe it will be the case with Gavi.

Lets see how it progresses as he wont be cheap with 50m Euro release clause
Apart from Garcia, which Barca lads do you mean. Are Pep, Txiki, Sorriano going back to Barca ?. Why not treat each player as an individual and not these, one size fits all, baseless assumptions.

Never seen Leao play on the right, where he would be needed here, sadly.

I'd like to discuss the fit of Felix, as Tolm suggest was an realistic option. Not pacey but damn technically gifted beyond word.
He can. Skinned two players (can’t remember the game) while boxed in on the right and got a decent cross in. Doesn’t matter to him where he is on the pitch. He’s a very good dribbler so I doubt it matters where he plays as long as he plays.

Because... I've seen them?

Sterling is one of the best players the club has ever had, five assists away from being the only player to get 100+ goals and 100+ assists in a City shirt. Anyone who thinks Edozie or Borges can fill his slot without a massive drop in quality is deluding themselves. That's no knock on them. I like them. They're not Sterling-level. And out of all the names you list, only Foden is the dynamic and rapid winger and even he prefers being inside rather than working the sides of the pitch. Grealish is that even more so, Mahrez prefers cutting in, Haaland and Alvarez play in the middle, the rest are academy players, and none of them have the pace/width/power that Sterling brings. That means we'll have gone from three fast, wide, dynamic wingers who enjoy working the sides to none. Obviously we will still have fantastic players but it's a dimension to our game that will have been depleted heavily. How much of an effect that will have is a mystery, but I'd rather just not have to worry about it. Keeping Sterling should the priority if he can be convinced to give playing with Haaland a go, and if he does leave, a player with a similar profile should be the priority over more inside, deep-lying, tricky players like Felix. Just my tuppence.
You need to research Alvarez some more. Granted he will be a new player in a new league but he is dynamic and is capable of playing in all 3 forward positions as well as dropping deep and has some experience as an attacking midfielder. How fast is he compared with Usain Bolt ? I don't know. His physique is very similar to Sergio and he was good enough to play for Real Madrid youths at 13 but they could not legally sign him then, so it is unlikely he is coming to spend much time on the bench, he may have to, but there is nothing to suggest he is not coming to compete from day 1.

Dont mind the lad as a rodri backup. I dont see his value at 60 million mind...but maybe thats only because we already have rodri who is far superior.

Does anyone remember mathaus nunes? Decent backup for Rodri. For the 60M of philips we will get both nunes and cucu

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.