It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

There's no guarantee that Cucurella gets it initially either - took Cancelo a season, although that included getting used to English football

Cucurella has been playing this style of football since he was 13 and Albert Puig (not related to Riqui) who was made director of the academy under Guardiola signed him to La Masia.

Fans won’t like it, but this is the 1st summer in a long time (ever?) that we have the opportunity to make some serious money by selling fringe players, and/or those coming into the last year of their contracts.

Sterling, Mahrez, Ake, and unfortunately Jesus and Zinchenko makes us a minimum of £200m and probably the best part of £750k pw saved on wages.

We would be crazy to let Sterling and/or Mahrez leave on a free in 12 months time. That’s £100m in transfer fees and approx £25m in wages on those two alone...I don’t care how good they are, they are not worth sacrificing £2.5m pw for. In the FFP era, you just do not let that happen. Of the two, Mahrez has to be the one that club make every effort to sell because of his age. Sterling must sign a new deal or again, the club should be pushing for a sale.

Ake was much improved last season but if we can get our money back, we would be silly not to. We might even be able to make a profit if the likes of Newcastle are interested.

I would like Jesus to sign a new deal and for Zin to stay, but if they want away, they are likely very easy to shift and probably bring in £80m+.

These deals potentially give us a lot of wiggle room when it comes to bringing players in. That wiggle room disappears if we just allow players to leave on a free in 12 months.

Got a feeling this could be a crazy window, the first in a while. Several outgoings, some surprises as well I think, plus a few coming in. Hope it's a good one

Some of the new signings will take a year to learn Pep's system. We are not shifting some deadwood here, each outgoing player had a role to play. I hope we don't lose more than 2 players.

The real move here is to cash in on Cancelo, get Cucurella as the starting classic LB and Zinchenko as the inside, control the game left back, but we won't do it.

Instead we'll probably sell him for peanuts in a year or 18 months after he's become an "unhappy face" at training because Cucurella and Walker have nailed down the positions, then Zinchenko will be at Arsenal and we'll have to find someone else.

I know walker is a freak of nature, but he is 32. His speed may not go quickly over the next couple of years, but niggling injuries may become more of an issue ala the end of this season.

I would hope this means cancelo and walker rotating a lot more.

In the 11/12 season we had Richards and zaba properly competing at right back and cliche and kolarov the same on the left. We tended to pair Richards and cliche with Richards attacking and zaba and kolarov with kolarov attacking. All four got heaps of minutes and we had options.

I know it's not remotely feasible to have that same depth in a pep team, but having walker, cancelo, and cucurella all rotating in and out would strike a good balance for minutes and rest. I only don't mention zinny as there's noise over him leaving again. Having the four would be even better than the depth that 11/12 season.

Fans won’t like it, but this is the 1st summer in a long time (ever?) that we have the opportunity to make some serious money by selling fringe players, and/or those coming into the last year of their contracts.

Sterling, Mahrez, Ake, and unfortunately Jesus and Zinchenko makes us a minimum of £200m and probably the best part of £750k pw saved on wages.

We would be crazy to let Sterling and/or Mahrez leave on a free in 12 months time. That’s £100m in transfer fees and approx £25m in wages on those two alone...I don’t care how good they are, they are not worth sacrificing £2.5m pw for. In the FFP era, you just do not let that happen. Of the two, Mahrez has to be the one that club make every effort to sell because of his age. Sterling must sign a new deal or again, the club should be pushing for a sale.

Ake was much improved last season but if we can get our money back, we would be silly not to. We might even be able to make a profit if the likes of Newcastle are interested.

I would like Jesus to sign a new deal and for Zin to stay, but if they want away, they are likely very easy to shift and probably bring in £80m+.

These deals potentially give us a lot of wiggle room when it comes to bringing players in. That wiggle room disappears if we just allow players to leave on a free in 12 months.
Somebody's been playing too much fifa,,,, that's not how it works. If you replace more than 3 players the team will completely lose balance and.

Players of different teams play under different manager and system. They need time to adapt. You can't give that time to 3-4 starters. We already have Haaland so replacing 2 more starters will be hazardous

Reactions: OB1
People may be getting carried away with press talk - this is the start of the silly season.

The squad had four obvious gaps in it and two have bee filled; it also seems pretty certain that City want Cucurella and Phillips to fill the other two vacancies; we may or may not suceed with signing the latter two but all the evidence suggests they are our current picks.

After that, one or two players may (choose to) move on from the senior players that are most likely to play the fewest minutes but the club won't want a major overhaul and if a couple do leave that could easily see the club less open to offers for others.

City will not want to have to try and sign another four or five players for instance on top of Cucurella and Phillips.

City do evolution not revolution.

Surely if Palmer is replacing anyone in the squad, profile wise, he's replacing Riyad.
Agree, doesn't make any sense to replace Sterling with Palmer, letting Mahrez run down contract while bringing Palmer to speed sounds better strategy. Probably end up having to buy someone to replace Sterling. Alvarez looks like the profile of Jesus, albeit lacking in experience at PL level which we can afford with Haaland.

We seem to be getting rid of our pacey wide players, and no real links of them being replaced.

I wonder if we’ll be lining up with wingbacks next year instead

Walker and Cucurella can both play at the side of a 3 man defence

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.