It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Some of the new signings will take a year to learn Pep's system. We are not shifting some deadwood here, each outgoing player had a role to play. I hope we don't lose more than 2 players.
Exactly, you can't just come here at City and fly

We seem to be getting rid of our pacey wide players, and no real links of them being replaced.

I wonder if we’ll be lining up with wingbacks next year instead

Walker and Cucurella can both play at the side of a 3 man defence
Horrible change that... Pep uses that as an option but doubt he’s changing his initial plan in a 433

I know walker is a freak of nature, but he is 32. His speed may not go quickly over the next couple of years, but niggling injuries may become more of an issue ala the end of this season.

I would hope this means cancelo and walker rotating a lot more.

In the 11/12 season we had Richards and zaba properly competing at right back and cliche and kolarov the same on the left. We tended to pair Richards and cliche with Richards attacking and zaba and kolarov with kolarov attacking. All four got heaps of minutes and we had options.

I know it's not remotely feasible to have that same depth in a pep team, but having walker, cancelo, and cucurella all rotating in and out would strike a good balance for minutes and rest. I only don't mention zinny as there's noise over him leaving again. Having the four would be even better than the depth that 11/12 season.

Pretty sure we will see Walker's game time managed far more next season.

Somebody's been playing too much fifa,,,, that's not how it works. If you replace more than 3 players the team will completely lose balance and.
None of those players are nailed on starters. It’s not like I’m saying we should let Ederson, Dias, Rodri, KDB and Foden leave. I’ve also said I want Jesus and Zin to stay, so effectively I am saying, we take any good offer for Ake (if he wants to go) and we do not under any circumstances effectively pay £2.5m pw for Sterling and Mahrez over the next 12 months. I mean it’s hardly a crazy idea not wanting the club to write off £125m for 12 months out of those two is it?

Fans won’t like it, but this is the 1st summer in a long time (ever?) that we have the opportunity to make some serious money by selling fringe players, and/or those coming into the last year of their contracts.

Sterling, Mahrez, Ake, and unfortunately Jesus and Zinchenko makes us a minimum of £200m and probably the best part of £750k pw saved on wages.

We would be crazy to let Sterling and/or Mahrez leave on a free in 12 months time. That’s £100m in transfer fees and approx £25m in wages on those two alone...I don’t care how good they are, they are not worth sacrificing £2.5m pw for. In the FFP era, you just do not let that happen. Of the two, Mahrez has to be the one that club make every effort to sell because of his age. Sterling must sign a new deal or again, the club should be pushing for a sale.

Ake was much improved last season but if we can get our money back, we would be silly not to. We might even be able to make a profit if the likes of Newcastle are interested.

I would like Jesus to sign a new deal and for Zin to stay, but if they want away, they are likely very easy to shift and probably bring in £80m+.

These deals potentially give us a lot of wiggle room when it comes to bringing players in. That wiggle room disappears if we just allow players to leave on a free in 12 months.
The problem is, the more players you sell the more you have to spend to replace them. We're only replacing players who are already gone or known to be on their way out.

Haaland - Aguero
Alvarez - Jesus
Phillips - Fernandinho
Cucurella - Mendy

Agree, doesn't make any sense to replace Sterling with Palmer, letting Mahrez run down contract while bringing Palmer to speed sounds better strategy. Probably end up having to buy someone to replace Sterling. Alvarez looks like the profile of Jesus, albeit lacking in experience at PL level which we can afford with Haaland.
Or just sell Mahrez this summer and extend Sterling?

None of those players are nailed on starters. It’s not like I’m saying we should let Ederson, Dias, Rodri, KDB and Foden leave. I’ve also said I want Jesus and Zin to stay, so effectively I am saying, we take any good offer for Ake (if he wants to go) and we do not under any circumstances effectively pay £2.5m pw for Sterling and Mahrez over the next 12 months. I mean it’s hardly a crazy idea not wanting the club to write off £125m for 12 months out of those two is it?
Combined, the pair of them are on around 500k a week, so around 25 million a year. So do you really think we could sell the pair of them for a total of 100+ million?

I can't see anyone offering more than 30 for Mahrez and 50 for Sterling, considering their contract situations, the former's age and the latter's wages.

And if you sell them both, you have to replace them with at least one new forward, who won't be cheap.

The problem is, the more players you sell the more you have to spend to replace them. We're only replacing players who are already gone or known to be on their way out.

Haaland - Aguero
Alvarez - Jesus
Phillips - Fernandinho
Cucurella - Mendy
And who replaces Sterling... THATS the worry.

Haaland - Aguero
Alvarez - Jesus
Phillips - Fernandinho
Cucurella - Mendy
But at this rate we have to replace Sterling and Mahrez next summer anyway. The only difference being that if we do it this summer, we actually get money for them to pay for the replacements.

Id be happy for Sterling to sign a new deal, but if he won’t do it he should be sold.

Mahrez is at an age where it’s sell him now, or accept that we never get any money back for him whether that be next summer, or at the end of any potential new contract he signs. For me, he’s not Silva, Kompany, Fern level, where we want to hold on to him, foregoing any potential fee because he is worth more to us in the shirt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.