It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

It is funny that reading this thread shows the dilemma we have: we cry out for academy players to get their chance but when people suggest that Palmer replace Sterling, we have a plethora of posters declaring that it is premature.

As I said earlier, we have absolute quality all over the place:
Left: Foden and Grealish (Edozie back up)
Central: Alvarez and Haaland (Delap)
Right: Mahrez and Palmer (Bobb/Kayky)
Mid: Gundogan, Bernardo, KDB, Rodri (Lavia, McAtee)

And all that is before anyone else comes in. When we talk about Palmer, he has been outstanding in the EDS and has looked superb when he has come in too. The flexibility of our players also means that KDB and Bernardo can supplement the right side. We don't yet know who is going and who is staying but we will not be short.
Do you think Bobb, Kayky, Edozie, Delap and Lavia will play 100 mins of league between them next season?

It is funny that reading this thread shows the dilemma we have: we cry out for academy players to get their chance but when people suggest that Palmer replace Sterling, we have a plethora of posters declaring that it is premature.

And all that is before anyone else comes in. When we talk about Palmer, he has been outstanding in the EDS and has looked superb when he has come in too. The flexibility of our players also means that KDB and Bernardo can supplement the right side. We don't yet know who is going and who is staying but we will not be short.

When Pep think they are ready, and their performances when training with the squad will dictate this, the young players will get time in the team.

Won't be as many minutes as some might want , but I'm confident that they will play some part.

Do you think Bobb, Kayky, Edozie, Delap and Lavia will play 100 mins of league between them next season?
No. But if they get proper time in the cup games it releases the burden on others. Additionally, they get the chance to show that they are ready for league games. You will note, also, that I had them as backup.

Last edited:
No. But if they get proper time in the cup games it releases the burden on others. Additionally, they get the chance to show that they are ready for league games. You will not, also, that I had them as backup.
Which is fine, without a serious injury to one of the regular starters.

We probably had one winger too many this season though, so we can absorb Jesus going, but would probably look to replace Sterling/Mahrez should they go too.

For me, it's not just about the quality or the timing, it's about ensuring there is variety in the squad. Palmer is amazing and hopefully will have a fantastic career, but of Mahrez/Sterling, he's more like a Mahrez replacement. If Sterling goes, I'd want someone who can replicate that acceleration to get in behind on the right and provide width - make full use of the pitch.

Would definitely want more minutes for the youngsters in the next few seasons - Carlos Borges, as well as those you mentioned, looks incredibly talented.

I know walker is a freak of nature, but he is 32. His speed may not go quickly over the next couple of years, but niggling injuries may become more of an issue ala the end of this season.

I would hope this means cancelo and walker rotating a lot more.

In the 11/12 season we had Richards and zaba properly competing at right back and cliche and kolarov the same on the left. We tended to pair Richards and cliche with Richards attacking and zaba and kolarov with kolarov attacking. All four got heaps of minutes and we had options.

I know it's not remotely feasible to have that same depth in a pep team, but having walker, cancelo, and cucurella all rotating in and out would strike a good balance for minutes and rest. I only don't mention zinny as there's noise over him leaving again. Having the four would be even better than the depth that 11/12 season.

The attacking options rotate enough, why not the FBs? Particularly if we actually want to challenge on 4 fronts to the end of the season without burnout, having the options would be great. It's a World Cup year with 5 subs in the league - players will get game time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.