It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Or just sell Mahrez this summer and extend Sterling?
I don't think Palmer is ready to have the same impact Mahrez had, yet. So let him grow up another season without too much pressure and then take over from Mahrez next, no replacement needed. I agree we should try to extend Sterling, he's one player we have no replacement, even in academy apart from Borges perhaps, who's at least two seasons away.

Hope there's no foundation to the rumours of us being willing to sale Ake. He's only been with us 2 seasons the first of which he was injured for the main part. He's proved he is a valuable asset and there's no drop off in quality when he plays. With Dias and Stones regularly missing games through injury we'd be mistaken to let Ake go.

The amount of game time Ake has had one of our youth player’s surely could step in?
Ake is a current international for the Dutch national team. He's an experienced Premier League defender. He steps in whether others are absent (which they frequently are) and looks the real deal so yeah, lets sell him and throw one of the academy grads in.

Ake is a current international for the Dutch national team. He's an experienced Premier League defender. He steps in whether others are absent (which they frequently are) and looks the real deal so yeah, lets sell him and throw one of the academy grads in.

Just maybe Ake wants more playing time!? Be interesting if we do sell him if we buy another experience centre
Back.

Me personally would always trust our youth players

This thread has been an entertaining read.

One thing I would caution against is overrating or overhyping Palmer. While he's clearly talented and worth getting excited about, especially considering he's an academy product, expecting him to replace Mahrez/Sterling is sheer lunacy.

Those two have their frustrating moments but by and large they have proved themselves with near a decades worth of performances playing at the highest level of club and international competitions. We're talking hundreds of appearances each. We've won titles and cups because of them.

Palmer has about a dozen games under his belt for the first team, almost exclusively as a substitute or against inferior opposition.

Can he get there one day? Of course, and I hope he does. But saying he can replace those two is a bit insulting and downright unfair to Palmer.

Alternative if Brighton hold out for a higher fee for Cucurella?

It is funny that reading this thread shows the dilemma we have: we cry out for academy players to get their chance but when people suggest that Palmer replace Sterling, we have a plethora of posters declaring that it is premature.

As I said earlier, we have absolute quality all over the place:
Left: Foden and Grealish (Edozie back up)
Central: Alvarez and Haaland (Delap)
Right: Mahrez and Palmer (Bobb/Kayky)
Mid: Gundogan, Bernardo, KDB, Rodri (Lavia, McAtee)

And all that is before anyone else comes in. When we talk about Palmer, he has been outstanding in the EDS and has looked superb when he has come in too. The flexibility of our players also means that KDB and Bernardo can supplement the right side. We don't yet know who is going and who is staying but we will not be short.

It is funny that reading this thread shows the dilemma we have: we cry out for academy players to get their chance but when people suggest that Palmer replace Sterling, we have a plethora of posters declaring that it is premature.

As I said earlier, we have absolute quality all over the place:
Left: Foden and Grealish (Edozie back up)
Central: Alvarez and Haaland (Delap)
Right: Mahrez and Palmer (Bobb/Kayky)
Mid: Gundogan, Bernardo, KDB, Rodri (Lavia, McAtee)

And all that is before anyone else comes in. When we talk about Palmer, he has been outstanding in the EDS and has looked superb when he has come in too. The flexibility of our players also means that KDB and Bernardo can supplement the right side. We don't yet know who is going and who is staying but we will not be short.
gotta agree with you there. every time i see palmer I see no reason to not trust him to be on the pitch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.