It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

I agree and I disagree. Those squads are big in terms of history, but what does that matter to a player who was not involved in any of it and is still looking to win something big currently. Although there are no guarantees, right now if you're looking to win big things City has to be your first choice if given the opportunity. Take note I'm saying first choice, not only choice.
Agree & disagree back! Lol :-)

Agreed, historically they're legendary clubs based on previous success.

Where I disagree is City being viewed as a legendary club now.

If we take the media for instance, many commentators & pundits are from the era where Real, ManUre, Milan, Bayern et al ruled their respective leagues & European football over extended periods.

Milan for instance won the EC/CL in 63, 69, 89, 90, 94, 03 & 07. They had a lean period from the 70s - late 80s, but those in today's media would've grown up revering them for decades.

Until City can achieve this kind of longterm, sustained success, & a new crop of commentators & pundits replace the older bunch, the narrative will continue to be spun that the European elite teams are a level above us based on historic success, but things are changing.

Stelling, Shreeves & Tyler have all recently left Sky. A couple of seasons back, Sky did away with Thompson & Nicholas etc in favour of a younger lineup of pundits who most fans had actually seen playing live during their playing days.

Mark Lawrenson recently complained he was replaced by the "Woke" BBC in favour of Women & Black pundits, & never considered just maybe the BBC also wanted a lineup of ex players who most tuning in had seen play. (I thought Lawrenson was a shit & morose pundit anyway)...

We've several threads where people are telling of the strangest places they've seen City shirts & the amount of kids not from Manchester now wearing our shirt. Look at our recent tour of America where the vast majority of the stadia were sporting City replica shirts...

Football's growing popularity is a relatively recent thing in the states, & it wasn't that long ago that no fucker had ever heard of City, so US fans tacitly supported the European elite teams, not because they had connections of any sort, but because they were the elite teams they'd heard of.

HOWEVER, US based football fans have CERTAINLY heard of City now! We're on our way, but we've still got a long way to go.

Where players are concerned, viewing City as an elite European team is happening. Gomez & Haaland were eager to show off their support for City when they were kids.

The kids who see our current success will dream of pulling on the Sky Blue shirt in the future if they make the grade in football.

They won't give a fuck about Granddad regaling tales of the great Arsenal & ManUre sides of the 90s/early 2000s, or the great Dippers sides of the 70s/80s. They're more interested in recent history, than football from a time when everyone wore flares & boot cut jeans.

It's like when growing up I heard about the legendary Huddersfield, Wolves, Bolton & Preston pre & post WWII teams. But as a kid I had zero interest in any of them or their wartime achievements because this was from a time before I was born. \0/

If we continue to have high level success, we'll be up there with the greats, however two clubs over the last 3-4 decades have transcended all of this. Real & Barça...

They had the ability to attract the very best players from other European elite teams, & it was always viewed that leaving either was a step down in prestige.

I can't blame any player aware of football history who chooses Real or Barça over City, but this will/is changing. Will City ever be as revered? In the fullness of time I hope so, but in the meantime I'm happy with our continued level of success & hope that future football Superstars will routinely desire playing for us, as many currently do with the Spanish giants... )(

Last edited:

If we take the media for instance, many commentators & pundits are from the era where Real, ManUre, Milan, Bayern et al ruled their respective leagues & European football over extended periods.

Milan for instance won the EC/CL in 63, 69, 89, 90, 94, 03 & 07. They had a lean period from the 70s - late 80s, but those in today's media would've grown up revering them for decades.

Until City can achieve this kind of longterm, sustained success, & a new crop of commentators & pundits replace the older bunch, the narrative will continue to be spun that the European elite teams are a level above us based on historic success, but things are changing.

Stelling, Shreeves & Tyler have all recently left Sky. A couple of seasons back, Sky did away with Thompson & Nicholas etc in favour of a younger lineup of pundits who most fans had actually seen live during their playing days.

Mark Lawrenson recently complained he was replaced by the "Woke" BBC in favour of Women & Black pundits, & never considered just maybe the BBC also wanted a lineup of ex players who most tuning in had seen play. (I thought Lawrenson was a shit & morose pundit anyway)...

We've several threads where people are telling of the strangest places they've seen City shirts & the amount of kids not from Manchester now wearing our shirt. Look at our recent tour of America where the vast majority of the stadia were sporting City replica shirts...

Football's growing popularity is a relatively recent thing in the states, & it wasn't that long ago that no fucker had ever heard of City, so US fans tacitly supported the European elite teams, not because they had connections of any sort, but because they were the elite teams they'd heard of.

HOWEVER, US based football fans have CERTAINLY heard of City now! We're on our way, but we've still got a long way to go.

Where players are concerned, viewing City as an elite European team is happening. Gomez & Haaland were eager to show off their support for City when they were kids.
The kids who see our current success will dream of pulling on the Sky Blue shirt in the future if they make the grade in football.

They won't give a fuck about Granddad regaling tales of the great Arsenal & ManUre sides of the 90s/early 2000s, or the great Dippers sides of the 70s/80s. They're more interested in recent history, than football from a time when everyone wore flares & boot cut jeans.

It's like when growing up I heard about the legendary Huddersfield, Wolves, Bolton & Preston pre & post WWII teams. But as a kid I had zero interest in any of them or their wartime achievements because this was from a time before I was born. \0/

If we continue to have high level success, we'll be up there with the greats, however two clubs over the last 3-4 decades have transcended all of this. Real & Barça...

They had the ability to attract the very best players from other European elite teams, & it was always viewed that leaving either was a step down in prestige.

I can't blame any player aware of football history who chooses Real or Barça over City, but this will/is changing. Will City ever be as revered? In the fullness of time I hope so, but in the meantime I'm happy with our continued level of success & hope that future football Superstars will routinely desire playing for us, as many currently do with the Spanish giants... )(
Long term sustained success, its been nearly a decade now, that is fairly long term and sustained, as i have said before the likes of haaland, gomez and other young players have only ever seen city to be good and wanted to play for them.

The dinosaur rags and scousers in the red top press may be desperate to tell you different as those clubs being good is basically their lifeblood, but the reality as you said is that the world is changing, kids have only ever known a successful city and that is their opinion of them and the red top press is slowly dying, news is now consistently consumed in other ways, narratives are no longer pressed that way and the move to liverpool or utd is no longer the dream move, roy of the rovers was a long time ago.

Stelling, Shreeves & Tyler have all recently left Sky. A couple of seasons back, Sky did away with Thompson & Nicholas etc in favour of a younger lineup of pundits who most fans had actually seen playing live during their playing days.

Need another 10 years of winning the premier at least 6 times and 2 more champs league! That will be so tough especially if pep leaves in 2 years ..

Long term sustained success, its been nearly a decade now, that is fairly long term and sustained, as i have said before the likes of haaland, gomez and other young players have only ever seen city to be good and wanted to play for them.

The dinosaur rags and scousers in the red top press may be desperate to tell you different as those clubs being good is basically their lifeblood, but the reality as you said is that the world is changing, kids have only ever known a successful city and that is their opinion of them and the red top press is slowly dying, news is now consistently consumed in other ways, narratives are no longer pressed that way and the move to liverpool or utd is no longer the dream move, roy of the rovers was a long time ago.
Agreed apart from longterm success. Yes I agree domestically, but we won only our second European trophy less than a month ago.

We've reached several last 8, semis & two final in recent years, but the records will show only Istanbul as our Premier European Cup title.

If we continue with win the PL over the next 10 years & add 2-3 CL titles too, that's 20 years of continued success where we'll truly be up their with the historic European elite.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.