It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Agreed apart from longterm success. Yes I agree domestically, but we won only our second European trophy less than a month ago.

We've reached several last 8, semis & two final in recent years, but the records will show only Istanbul as our Premier European Cup title.

If we continue with win the PL over the next 10 years & add 2-3 CL titles too, that's 20 years of continued success where we'll truly be up their with the historic European elite.
Sort of agree but this narrative of historic european success being the be and end all for players is a narrative that uefa and the press push to protect the golden goose that is the champions league but is it really true in reality, villa and forest were historically successful in europe and players aint beating down the door to play for them, reality is its a short career and while i agree that some teams do have a certain draw, the vast majority of players are going to go where its best for them now, for me as with most things surrounding footbal especially where city are concerned the agreed upon narrative doesnt exactly meet with reality

Seems Laporte fancies going back to Bilbao as he’s used the team leaker mouthpiece Jose Alvarez saying that the only stumbling block is how much city want for him? Is that Nico Williams worth a shout? Seen him mentioned a lot but don’t actually know much about him?

Seems Laporte fancies going back to Bilbao as he’s used the team leaker mouthpiece Jose Alvarez saying that the only stumbling block is how much city want for him? Is that Nico Williams worth a shout? Seen him mentioned a lot but don’t actually know much about him?
Not even close to being good enough for us.

Sort of agree but this narrative of historic european success being the be and end all for players is a narrative that uefa and the press push to protect the golden goose that is the champions league but is it really true in reality, villa and forest were historically successful in europe and players aint beating down the door to play for them, reality is its a short career and while i agree that some teams do have a certain draw, the vast majority of players are going to go where its best for them now, for me as with most things surrounding footbal especially where city are concerned the agreed upon narrative doesnt exactly meet with reality
Mate, Forest & Villa's success was over 40 years ago. Since then, both have spent extended periods outside the English top flight too.

I'm talking about longterm sustained success over an extended period, so a team can build up a solid global fanbase built on continuously winning titles & trophies.

I'm not saying the CL is the be all & end all, but Pep admitted it was the one we were desperate to win.

For me it's always been about the league, until the start of last season. I was happy to sacrifice domestic success to get the CL monkey off our backs.

Never in my wildest fuckin dreams did I imagine we'd achieve it whilst doing the Tr3bl3 in the process! :-)

HOWEVER, as Pep & Khaldoon said, this isn't City's end game, it's the beginning of our CL final success challenge.

Irritates the fuck out of me that our players think we will let them go for peanuts. Just because we are fair with our players makes their agents think they can take the fucking piss.

Agree & disagree back! Lol :-)

Agreed, historically they're legendary clubs based on previous success.

Where I disagree is City being viewed as a legendary club now.

If we take the media for instance, many commentators & pundits are from the era where Real, ManUre, Milan, Bayern et al ruled their respective leagues & European football over extended periods.

Milan for instance won the EC/CL in 63, 69, 89, 90, 94, 03 & 07. They had a lean period from the 70s - late 80s, but those in today's media would've grown up revering them for decades.

Until City can achieve this kind of longterm, sustained success, & a new crop of commentators & pundits replace the older bunch, the narrative will continue to be spun that the European elite teams are a level above us based on historic success, but things are changing.

Stelling, Shreeves & Tyler have all recently left Sky. A couple of seasons back, Sky did away with Thompson & Nicholas etc in favour of a younger lineup of pundits who most fans had actually seen playing live during their playing days.

Mark Lawrenson recently complained he was replaced by the "Woke" BBC in favour of Women & Black pundits, & never considered just maybe the BBC also wanted a lineup of ex players who most tuning in had seen play. (I thought Lawrenson was a shit & morose pundit anyway)...

We've several threads where people are telling of the strangest places they've seen City shirts & the amount of kids not from Manchester now wearing our shirt. Look at our recent tour of America where the vast majority of the stadia were sporting City replica shirts...

Football's growing popularity is a relatively recent thing in the states, & it wasn't that long ago that no fucker had ever heard of City, so US fans tacitly supported the European elite teams, not because they had connections of any sort, but because they were the elite teams they'd heard of.

HOWEVER, US based football fans have CERTAINLY heard of City now! We're on our way, but we've still got a long way to go.

Where players are concerned, viewing City as an elite European team is happening. Gomez & Haaland were eager to show off their support for City when they were kids.

The kids who see our current success will dream of pulling on the Sky Blue shirt in the future if they make the grade in football.

They won't give a fuck about Granddad regaling tales of the great Arsenal & ManUre sides of the 90s/early 2000s, or the great Dippers sides of the 70s/80s. They're more interested in recent history, than football from a time when everyone wore flares & boot cut jeans.

It's like when growing up I heard about the legendary Huddersfield, Wolves, Bolton & Preston pre & post WWII teams. But as a kid I had zero interest in any of them or their wartime achievements because this was from a time before I was born. \0/

If we continue to have high level success, we'll be up there with the greats, however two clubs over the last 3-4 decades have transcended all of this. Real & Barça...

They had the ability to attract the very best players from other European elite teams, & it was always viewed that leaving either was a step down in prestige.

I can't blame any player aware of football history who chooses Real or Barça over City, but this will/is changing. Will City ever be as revered? In the fullness of time I hope so, but in the meantime I'm happy with our continued level of success & hope that future football Superstars will routinely desire playing for us, as many currently do with the Spanish giants... )(

Well put & certainly agree with you regarding the US market which was evident in last season's pre season tour where the attendance figures were tremendous & huge uplift from when the club first visited the States.

On the pitch & in no small part thanks to Pep we are simply the best football team & as 'big time' as you can get from a footballing stand point.

However, off the pitch at times I feel we act rather small time. I'm not necessarily talking about transfers which I think we've remarkably well & I certainly won't delve into our ticket office support which is frankly appalling for the size of club we now are. I'm probably referring to plugging our Manchester City football club brand globally. I understand we're targeting certain markets but surely after winning the treble Manchester City football club should be touted left, right and centre. Forget the main stream media who have their own stakeholder agendas, in this day & age there a lots of alternative ways to promote your brand especially via social media platforms & if the Gooners can reportedly hire a PR firm to tout Declan Rice in their favour we should be trying to do similar actions with our brand riding the coat tails of our recent success until quite frankly the public are sick of seeing our name.

I simply don't see this & even the rather limited Treble & Champions League winners merchandise available is disappointing considering if one of the red shirts had achieved our success you can bet every commercial product & marketing channel available would be tarted up & publicity ramped up worldwide for the next month.

I personally am content with our amazing achievement but fear if we don't use this great opportunity to flood the public domain even if it is for this summer then we'll always be behind the so called Madrid & Barca brands when they hoover up the young/future talent simply because these are the names which were flooded in their era & area.

I've just commented the same to another poster, APART from the "Pep leaving in two years" narrative.

In his post CL victory press conference, Pep said he doesn't want us to become a club who win the CL, only to fizzle out into history.

He said we've reached the last 8, semis & finals over the last 5 seasons which is a consistent level, but he now wants us to be regularly competing in & winning finals.

This doesn't sound like a manager planning to leave any time soon mate... \0/

I so hope pep just keeps signing 2 year extensions stays around for a north 10 years

It's hard to see Laporte going anywhere this summer unless its a loan with obligation to buy... 57m is A LOT

Agree & disagree back! Lol :-)

Agreed, historically they're legendary clubs based on previous success.

Where I disagree is City being viewed as a legendary club now.

If we take the media for instance, many commentators & pundits are from the era where Real, ManUre, Milan, Bayern et al ruled their respective leagues & European football over extended periods.

Milan for instance won the EC/CL in 63, 69, 89, 90, 94, 03 & 07. They had a lean period from the 70s - late 80s, but those in today's media would've grown up revering them for decades.

Until City can achieve this kind of longterm, sustained success, & a new crop of commentators & pundits replace the older bunch, the narrative will continue to be spun that the European elite teams are a level above us based on historic success, but things are changing.

Stelling, Shreeves & Tyler have all recently left Sky. A couple of seasons back, Sky did away with Thompson & Nicholas etc in favour of a younger lineup of pundits who most fans had actually seen playing live during their playing days.

Mark Lawrenson recently complained he was replaced by the "Woke" BBC in favour of Women & Black pundits, & never considered just maybe the BBC also wanted a lineup of ex players who most tuning in had seen play. (I thought Lawrenson was a shit & morose pundit anyway)...

We've several threads where people are telling of the strangest places they've seen City shirts & the amount of kids not from Manchester now wearing our shirt. Look at our recent tour of America where the vast majority of the stadia were sporting City replica shirts...

Football's growing popularity is a relatively recent thing in the states, & it wasn't that long ago that no fucker had ever heard of City, so US fans tacitly supported the European elite teams, not because they had connections of any sort, but because they were the elite teams they'd heard of.

HOWEVER, US based football fans have CERTAINLY heard of City now! We're on our way, but we've still got a long way to go.

Where players are concerned, viewing City as an elite European team is happening. Gomez & Haaland were eager to show off their support for City when they were kids.

The kids who see our current success will dream of pulling on the Sky Blue shirt in the future if they make the grade in football.

They won't give a fuck about Granddad regaling tales of the great Arsenal & ManUre sides of the 90s/early 2000s, or the great Dippers sides of the 70s/80s. They're more interested in recent history, than football from a time when everyone wore flares & boot cut jeans.

It's like when growing up I heard about the legendary Huddersfield, Wolves, Bolton & Preston pre & post WWII teams. But as a kid I had zero interest in any of them or their wartime achievements because this was from a time before I was born. \0/

If we continue to have high level success, we'll be up there with the greats, however two clubs over the last 3-4 decades have transcended all of this. Real & Barça...

They had the ability to attract the very best players from other European elite teams, & it was always viewed that leaving either was a step down in prestige.

I can't blame any player aware of football history who chooses Real or Barça over City, but this will/is changing. Will City ever be as revered? In the fullness of time I hope so, but in the meantime I'm happy with our continued level of success & hope that future football Superstars will routinely desire playing for us, as many currently do with the Spanish giants... )(
Mostly agree, but disagree on one aspect : )
Based on the way we've been treated by the pundits and so-called journos I could not care less what about their opinions of us. It's near impossible to take a majority of them seriously or respect what they have to say...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.