It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

The yearly illusion of thinking the Academy kid or loanee will play a significant role. This summer it’s Bobb. I’d be surprised if he’s still in the squad in September. Another “highly rated” to go on loan in the second division. Better that than staying and not playing
We can’t know yet, but from the bits I’ve seen Bobb is a level above previous academy players since Foden and could well follow the Foden path. Obviously impossible to know yet and could be wrong. That’s my feeling though and one I never had with Palmer.

Ederson/Ortega/Carson

Akanji/Pavard/Dias/Ake/Gvardiol

Stones/Lewis

Rodri/Phillips

KDB/Foden/Kovacic/ +1

Grealish/Alvarez/ +1 / Gomez/Bobb

Haaland

That’s 22 players, 8 home grown, 3 club trained. Plenty of experience and versatility.

I’m assuming Gvardiol gets done.

Big signing for CM, what’s being reported currently FDJ not sure that will happen but right level to go for. Foden might be needed wide, KDB injured and needs to be managed, Phillips who knows and Kov first season. This needs to be a big singing.

I think someone experienced out wide, but with Foden potentially still playing wide, Grealish and I still think Alvarez gets serious minutes there we could see a smart signing here I’ll use Olise as an example. Personally would prefer someone like Sane.
Essentially, we need a top-tier winger and CM. In that aspect, I agree with @BrazilianGus . We need to replace quality with quality. Top quality. We cannot rely on Gomez or Bobb to deliver because whereas we all want them to succeed, they might fail. We need to close the Gvardiol deal AND add two world-class players. Especially for the wing, it has to be world-class. In CM, we could probably get away with a young world-class potential talent signing, but we need someone ready-made for the wing, IMO. Of course, I am assuming Walker, Mahrez, and Bernardo are all off. If Bernardo was to stay, one world-class player would be sufficient, a Mahrez replacement, a Wirtz perhaps (to lower the age of the team), someone versatile like that.

Still VERY thin considering they have more games next season, PLUS flying to the Middle East mid season. Add internationals to that… going from experienced players to youth isn’t ideal this season.
Pretty similar to last season without Perrone there. If we are going into next season with 1/2 more I expect youth players to still be involved. If Gomez goes I wouldn’t be surprised if Palmer stays. Think we see two of Bobb/Palmer/Gomez still around. Perrone goes on loan. Kov will play a lot and hopefully Phillips looks like he’ll play. That could be a big issue if he doesn’t.

We can’t know yet, but from the bits I’ve seen Bobb is a level above previous academy players since Foden and could well follow the Foden path. Obviously impossible to know yet and could be wrong. That’s my feeling though and one I never had with Palmer.
We’ve heard this before, every year is “this one is for real”. In the case of a Lavia he may well be, but still didn’t cut it. Best case scenario for Bobb is Palmer does go and he takes that limited cameo role in the squad. But that’s basically a presence in training above anything bar early Carabao cup games. I suspect Lavia is now the model, they go for playing time and in a year all the big clubs will be wanting them.

This is a bug bear of mine, as it stands we are 1 player short of our maximum 21 players plus Foden from the 4 academy trained allowance, which we can’t do anything about. Adding McAtee, Lewis and Bobb as U21 s will help too.
Those 20/21 are a much higher quality on the whole than any other clubs 21. So it isn’t true that it’s thin. If any player goes they will need replacing but as it stands today the squad isn’t thin.
The squad still would be thin if we did move Gomez on especially with experience training under Pep's new system. The likes of Lewis and especially Foden (although last season was one of he worse seasons at City since he broke through from the EDS) would be fine as they are used to Pep's new system. In strength in numbers then yes we are covered but in terms of quality I'm not so on.

Last edited:
I also completely forgot to put McAtee in there as cover for CM
Players like him, Gomez, Palmer, Bobb etc are one conversation. It’s about filler holes to filled. When we talk about who’s replacing Mahrez, Laporte, Bernardo, Walker, those are players who will play a significant role, who need a certain level of experience and solid quality behind their backs. It’s an entirely different conversation and we shouldn’t mix them up

We’ve heard this before, every year is “this one is for real”. In the case of a Lavia he may well be, but still didn’t cut it. Best case scenario for Bobb is Palmer does go and he takes that limited cameo role in the squad. But that’s basically a presence in training above anything bar early Carabao cup games. I suspect Lavia is now the model, they go for playing time and in a year all the big clubs will be wanting them.
But you don’t know anymore than I know. Foden was thats rare, Lewis doesn’t seem to be being considered for a loan and played more than most young players. Personally I see more in Bobb than I ever saw in Palmer.

Players like him, Gomez, Palmer, Bobb etc are one conversation. It’s about filler holes to filled. When we talk about who’s replacing Mahrez, Laporte, Bernardo, Walker, those are players who will play a significant role, who need a certain level of experience and solid quality behind their backs. It’s an entirely different conversation and we shouldn’t mix them up
I agree. Like I said we could be replacing Walker with Pavard, Laporte with Gvardiol etc. but it’s about a squad of players and we will fill it with players like Gomez, Palmer, McAtee and Bobb.

I’m saying these players because we know them and some will be in the squad. We have no idea of the placements for Bernado or Mahrez yet. Bernado might even stay who knows

When did Mahrez, Laporte, Bernardo or Walker leave, let alone all of them! I missed that… aren’t you just full of sunshine after our treble season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.