It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

There is of course that. But then, there is also Rico Lewis. And Phil Foden who has come through and is now a first team player.

Last year everyone was expecting Palmer to have a significant role in the team, and I was among those arguing that was far fetched. While he did not, he wasn't exactly unused either. Nobody saw Rico coming, and he played a big part. What's to say another won't this year.

I am not arguing the club won't sign top players based on expectations of the academy kids btw. Just that some do have a role, and impact a season.
Foden is an exception as he was always treated as a world class player. Lewis wasn’t even brought up in conversations here during last summer. People talked about Mbete, Joshua etc. Lewis was used due to very specific needs halfway through the season. That is different from planning the squad with the unproven kids or loanees

Last year worked because players not in the starting eleven stepped up when they got their chance. Always thought that about Utd back in the day. It's what my dad spoke of about AC Milan in the 90s. How difficult it would be to keep the players in the stands happy.

Doing so, whilst maintaining that feat of having people step up, is incredibly difficult.

Players that have stepped up want assurances. They aren't forthcoming, because it would undermine the thing that makes it work. That is what is biting, right now.

There is no formula for making this whole thing work that I'm aware of. It's a player by player thing in the squad, so
I'm pretty open minded as to what we do in the market from here.

Having said that, we should certainly make sure we are strong enough to take the title, knowing it is still a very hard league.

And I do think we must take another shot at the CL, it is looking so inviting right now, the club will likely never have another period where a fairly average Real Madrid side are the biggest rivals.
Don’t belittle our achievements, they are a very good side (certainly no worse than last 5 years), we beat the German champions and the strongest English league opponents for many years. Remember we are elite, we are the benchmark, we are the top of the mountain, we are the best team in the land and all the world!!!

Foden is an exception as he was always treated as a world class player. Lewis wasn’t even brought up in conversations here during last summer. People talked about Mbete, Joshua etc. Lewis was used due to very specific needs halfway through the season. That is different from planning the squad with the unproven kids or loanees

That is exactly my point. And what I meant by nobody saw Lewis coming. There could be someone else nobody sees right now.

For clarity, I agree with you that the club wouldn't plan on not replacing key senior players, for promising youth players. I am just not dismissing their role entirely, but I have seen since in another post of yours you haven't either.

No domestic cup run or Champions League at the end of the season to worry about. Just 2-3 months of pure Premier League and they collapsed like an old flan in the back of a kitchen cupboard. Some of the games they won they had to come from behind in. Zinchenko displayed his emotional immaturity for all to see when their backs were against the wall. Just the same Arsenal as towards the end of Arsene Wenger’s tenure. Flatter to deceive until Easter.
Remember we beat them twice for a 6 point swing

Gomez playing on the wing is a serious possibility. It’s his natural position and we could see a few more departures than originally planned. Even if we give him another year to try and see how he fits in.

With Kev going into the season injured I think we see more of Foden centrally, it’s a good reason to start him there and natural progression. Grealish and Alvarez wide, Bernado and Mahrez to leave. Sounds like Bobb may be involved and can see Palmer being loaned out. I think we go into next season with

Grealish/Alvarez/Bobb/Gomez/New signing (And Foden if needed as well)

But expect us to sign someone high level if that’s the case.

Surely if any youth player is getting a proper chance, it’s Mcatee. Who I think has a realistic chance of getting a good amount of first team minutes

They made it hard for themselves. If we're being honest, it was more a case of Arsenal losing the league than us winning it.
They got near the finishing post and started to panic when Saliba got injured. Liverpool did the same after Gerrard slipped. The rags did it after 93:20... Ferguson went into panic mode to win the league the next season and caused the hopefully irreparable damage to the squad that we've seen since then.

Thanks to Pep, City are the only current team with the ability and mentality to eat up a large points gap. Other teams genuinely fear City. That will be the case as long as Pep is at the club. What happens after Pep is anyone's guess, but as matters stand, only a fool would bet against City repeating the treble next season.
No team ever wins the league through another team losing it.
You win the league by being the best.
City won the league. End of.

Gomez playing on the wing is a serious possibility. It’s his natural position and we could see a few more departures than originally planned. Even if we give him another year to try and see how he fits in.

With Kev going into the season injured I think we see more of Foden centrally, it’s a good reason to start him there and natural progression. Grealish and Alvarez wide, Bernado and Mahrez to leave. Sounds like Bobb may be involved and can see Palmer being loaned out. I think we go into next season with

Grealish/Alvarez/Bobb/Gomez/New signing (And Foden if needed as well)

But expect us to sign someone high level if that’s the case.

It isn’t.

Will he not most likely take Palmers spot, if/when he goes out on loan?
Thought that was reported we were looking at Bobb there. I’ve always been under the impression we’d play James centrally but who knows. Will be happy to see him feature which ever position

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.