It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

I don't fully understand the slating Cucurella's getting from Chav fans, but hey ho that's football for you. I suppose they'll know how he's faring better than we will...

Guardiola perfectly summed up how I see our situation in yesterday's presser...

"We build up with a perfect three that suits perfectly for the players we have," he said. "If we needed to play with full-backs wide up and down for 90 minutes like 95 per cent of teams play in that way, we cannot do it. We don't have the players to do this right now.

We don't have full-backs to go up and down every three days - oh my God. We don't have this quality so we have to adapt."

This is why we're doing what we're doing this season. It's out of necessity, not design. Pep wants flying full backs who can get up & down the pitch every three days, & we don't possess any... \0/

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/man-city-transfer-news-guardiola-26498989

Walker isnt going to happy hearing that! lol

Walker isnt going to happy hearing that! lol
Walker's 33 next birthday & represents our present & past. We need to be looking at our present & future, & full back is an area of concern for many.

There's so much for us to consider, least of all Foden & Grealish. I still believe Grealish was purchased as a longterm central midfield solution & Foden is destined for a central slot when he's tactically ready (Pep's assessment).

With the ages of Mahrez, Walker, KDB & Gundog, Bernardo wanting out, Cancelo looking unlikely to return & now question marks over Laporte, that's SEVEN top class players who we need to start the succession planning with.

It's a lot! But with Pep extending his contract & stating what the squad needs, it seems the club are happy & ready to go again with another squad rebuild.

The next two summer transfer windows will tell us a lot about City's future direction.

The only time pep played against Bayern was a ucl qf on route to winning the trophy

both times pep has won the ucl he didn’t win the last 16 first leg

The last time an English club won the treble their group was an English, german, Spanish and danish club.

The last time an English club won the treble united beat Newcastle in a final

The last time an English club won the treble arsenal finished 2nd in the league

The last time an English club won the treble they had a Norwegian striker

The last time a ucl final was in Istanbul the final was won by an English club against an Italian club

Peps ucl run in 2009:

1-1 away first leg, 7 goals scored in the 2nd leg match

Bayern in the quarters

Chelsea in the semis

Won the trophy

WHAT THE FUCK
rick-and-morty-morty.gif

Something's going on with Laporte. At first I assumed it was injuries & his game time being managed, but if rumours of him wanting out & City's interest in Gvardiol are true, I see one as a direct replacement for the other, not being brought in as a left back.

We also need skillful flying wingers & some younger legs in midfield too.
Yeah good point, he might be a direct replacement for Laporte which would mean we could have top players who could play both CB and LB with ease.

Yeah good point, he might be a direct replacement for Laporte which would mean we could have top players who could play both CB and LB with ease.
That's the point I'm making. IF Laporte left & was replaced by Gvardiol, Gvardiol can adequately cover at left back, but he's NOT a longterm LB solution in my eyes, he merely gives us options & provides cover.

We need to get at least one world class LB & assess whether Gomez has the potential to make the grade with us, which I truly hope he does.

I don't fully understand the slating Cucurella's getting from Chav fans, but hey ho that's football for you. I suppose they'll know how he's faring better than we will...

"We build up with a perfect three that suits perfectly for the players we have," he said. "If we needed to play with full-backs wide up and down for 90 minutes like 95 per cent of teams play in that way, we cannot do it. We don't have the players to do this right now.

We don't have full-backs to go up and down every three days - oh my God. We don't have this quality so we have to adapt."

This is why we're doing what we're doing this season. It's out of necessity, not design. Pep wants flying full backs who can get up & down the pitch every three days, & we don't possess any... \0/

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/man-city-transfer-news-guardiola-26498989
Agree, this season feels a bit like Peps first, didn’t have the players he wanted for his system then too. Once he did look what happened ……

If we don't get a winger, we need to prioritise a LB, if we don't get a LB we need to prioritise a winger. The whole point of these 2 signings is to add dynamism and decrease our predictability. Whichever player fits into the system is the one we get
I do not think Cancelo is going to leave this summer so that gives us back our balance, Gomez is struggling but will get another season especially in the cups, but i would be suprized if we were not closely monitoring the lad at Wolves who is improving steadily,

They thought they had bought Zabaleta, they might have but even he took time, and no one at Chelsea is performing.

Agree, this season feels a bit like Peps first, didn’t have the players he wanted for his system then too. Once he did look what happened ……
EXACTLY! It's why I've told opposition fans that City are in the middle of a major transition & I don't think it'll be near completion until summer 2024, or possibly 2025.

There are also huge questions to be answered like what does the positional future hold for Grealish & Foden? Do they replace KDB & Gundog centrally so we need flying wingers, or do they remain wide players & we look at other central midfield options?

There's also Bernardo wanting to leave & the age of Mahrez to consider too... You're absolutely 100% correct. This is a major rebuild similar to when Pep first arrived...

Last edited:

Nice!...looks like Pep wants a couple of fullbacks to provide the width.

He then has the option of a traditional back four or playing three at the back with wingbacks.

I like it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.